Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @Lost River - If I could ask a follow up: I have a Springfield Garrison 5" in .45. My interest for this gun is primarily for bowling pin shooting, specifically for The Pin Shoot in Central Lake MI next June.

To date, I've shot Federal Hi-Shok, standard pressure, with a 17# recoil and 19# hammer spring. I've swapped to a 18.5# Wilson recoil and 23# hammer, prepatory to running some 230 +p (specifically, Federal HST+p).

In looking at your web site, I noticed that for the 250 gr, hard cast flat point.45 (below), you mention "I personally use a 20# recoil spring with this load when shooting more than a magazine or two of it."

https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...-Point-100-RND

Couple questions if I may?

With regard to this load, would you up the recoil spring to 20#, from what I have (18.5#), prior to shooting it?

What would be your thoughts, if any, as regards using this cartridge for bowling pins?

TY sir.

Rich

Rich,

It was designed to run with stock RSAs. However, I run my guns with 20# springs as I find it tames down the recoil just a bit and shot to shot recovery is a little quicker and smoother for me. It has been a number of years since I shot a pin match (more than a few actually) but I used to shoot a very similar load and it really hammered the pins. The wide flat meplat combined with the added weight and velocity made for a rather effective combo.

When I was shooting Second Chance during the 1980s, a buddy was casting bullets that were basically a H&G 68 with a longer base that weighed 240 grains. Looked like and fed just like the H&G 68. My records showed I got 825 fps out of a 5" 1911 with Win 231 powder.

I'm not sure if I should make a thread specifically to discuss the Gen 5 Glock 21 or not, but since this thread is about .45 ACP in the current age and I just shot mine again today, I wanted to talk about it.

Since the original pre-SF Gen 3, the Glock 21 has been the one handgun I've been able to put the bullets exactly where I want them to go with frightening repeatability with even just a minimum of effort. One 13rd magazine = 1 ragged hole out to 25 yards. When doing Bill Drills, my splits are about .06-.08 slower than a G19 loaded with standard pressure 9mm, but my accuracy is noticeably better. Even when I try my best to slow down with my G19 and G17, my accuracy is still better with the G21.

This has translated over to the Gen 5, perhaps even more so. Shooting my G21 Gen 5 loaded with HST 230gr standard pressure next to my Glock 19 loaded with Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P, subjectively the recoil feels about the same with the G21 having a little less snap to it. Objectively, my accuracy is better with the G21, both equipped with Dawson sights.

I could go on and on, but I guess my point is that regardless of any potential increase in effectiveness .45 ACP may have over 9mm, the fact that I shoot the G21 so well makes it extremely relevant to me in 2023/2024 and beyond. There are some side things and concerns about the Gen 5 G21 I have, but that is specific enough to be outside the realm of this thread's subject. Suffice it to say, I love my G21s and might add a G30 Gen 5 if my G21 Gen 5 examples continue to be reliable.

Considering I also just got a new old stock 1973-made S&W Model 25-2 in .45 ACP that shoots well, this caliber isn't going anywhere for me.

Site Supporter
    From what I've read, it seems that both the G21 and the M&P45 are the most accurate versions of their respective platforms.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I'm not sure if I should make a thread specifically to discuss the Gen 5 Glock 21 or not, but since this thread is about .45 ACP in the current age and I just shot mine again today, I wanted to talk about it.

Considering I also just got a new old stock 1973-made S&W Model 25-2 in .45 ACP that shoots well, this caliber isn't going anywhere for me.
    I think those are valid reasons. I'm just now settling on .45 as my primary pistol caliber as someone who turned 30 in 2023, and it's not for reasons having to do with the cartridge itself. It's because the guns that I like and shoot well just happen to be chambered for it and there are guns I'll always own that are .45s, so like you it's not going anywhere. While it may not be objectively better than 9mm, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, so I have no problem using .45 pistols that check all my other boxes.

Having a gun that really works for you for whatever reason that happens to fire .45 ACP is a good reason to use .45, whether that's a G21, a 1911, an HK45C, etc. There are a lot of great (and often remarkably accurate) guns that happen to be .45s.

The fact that I can work up a load (or buy Lost River's) that's great to put in my gun if I ever get around to hunting pigs is just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I think those are valid reasons. I'm just now settling on .45 as my primary pistol caliber as someone who turned 30 in 2023, and it's not for reasons having to do with the cartridge itself. It's because the guns that I like and shoot well just happen to be chambered for it and there are guns I'll always own that are .45s, so like you it's not going anywhere. While it may not be objectively better than 9mm, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, so I have no problem using .45 pistols that check all my other boxes.

Having a gun that really works for you for whatever reason that happens to fire .45 ACP is a good reason to use .45, whether that's a G21, a 1911, an HK45C, etc. There are a lot of great (and often remarkably accurate) guns that happen to be .45s.

The fact that I can work up a load (or buy Lost River's) that's great to put in my gun if I ever get around to hunting pigs is just a bonus.
    Fellow 30y.o. Fudd checking in. I migrated to all .45 a few years ago now and have not looked back. The caveat being I am in a 10rd state and I shoot 1911s exclusively (J frames donÂ’t count here). So for me the reliability of the cartridge in my chosen system, flexibility of loading, and availability of spare parts/magazines simply won out.

I love the .45 and in an all steel 5” 1911. My skills are no where near the OPs but I have achieved some decent times (for me) with a .45. Added bonus is my same gun that will cycle softball 200gr. SWC will also function with stout 255gr. hardcast SWC with a magazine change should I need the capability.

Has this load been mentioned?

https://www.thearmorylife.com/dl-spo...7XCDBdEFmetx9A

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Has this load been mentioned?

https://www.thearmorylife.com/dl-spo...7XCDBdEFmetx9A

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    My understanding is that it was the meplat that caused the tissue damage, not the bullet shoulder?

I currently carry 9mm a lot more than 45, but the 45 notes are below.

The SWC at the lower left of the photo is my current practice preference. These are handloads with 200gr Blue Bullets, they've been reliable in all my USP's... almost out of them at the moment and just ordered more. They punch nice clean holes in paper.

Moving up and right from there, the second one is a Black Hills factory load, 185gr Barnes JHP, these are in the magazine on the way to/from the trailhead, maybe beyond depending on location. I'm in a non-lead state, so all my woods carry options are non-lead.

Once on the trail, depending where and what I might encounter, the third one is an option. This is a handload with a 200gr Cutting Edge bullet, solid copper, huge meplat, also reliable feeding in a full size USP.

Last at the top right is a new acquisition, not tested yet; a G9 165gr load with a box rating of 1,250 fps. Not sure what to make of this one yet, and I'd be interested in any thoughts. In the meantime I'll chrono a few and make sure it runs. The 9mm variant (124gr +p) runs nicely in a USPc and clocks 1121 fps, and is already seeing woods carry use.

Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  49.9 KB

I don't currently own a .45acp, but wouldn't mind a decent P220 or 3rd gen Smif of some sort. More as a Just Because gun than for any serious reasons.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List