Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I was working an extra security job a few years ago at a bank.

I was standing up against a wall and felt what I can describe as a sharp pinpoint pain run down my right butt cheek all the way down to my knee.

I took a step almost falling down as for a split second I felt no control in my right leg.

I caught myself and for the next several months dealt with sciatica pain.

My only guess is wearing a sam browne belt for the past 30 plus years.

Packing a 1911, the carry feels much more secure with the sam browne belt being tighter as with a glock, I can open it up one notch for comfort.

I am hoping to be packing my MCOP soon again on duty and also hoping that dude Sciatica keeps quiet.
    Sciatica is no fun.
    In December 2015, I sat up in bed, swung my feet over the side, reached to pick my pants up, and could not straighten back up.
    Slipped disc and sciatica.
    Out of work for six weeks.
    I had to go to be re-sworn in January 2016 walking on a cane.
    That freaked a lot of my co-workers and subordinates out…

handgun weights.

Some may find this of interest.

I weighed a 1911 with an 8 round mag +1 round. I used my 250 grain hard cast +P ammo.

The 1911 with the 9 rounds weighed 2# 15 oz.

The Glock 21.5 complete with C&H red dot, and an extended, 17 round mag +1 round, total 18 rounds, weighed 2# 13.5 oz.

So you get literally twice the ammo, plus an RDO, and it still weight 1.5 oz less.

Kind of a "no brainer" in the field gun department.

BTW, I cross posed this in my own thread on the G21.5.

Picked up a new Colt Competition in .45 ACP yesterday and was gobsmacked at the cheese they installed for action parts.

Swiftly remedied with an ancient but perfect tool steel C&S action kit I’ve had sitting around since the Bush administration (the one with the charming dog) but seriously, this might be the worst sear and hammer interface I’ve ever seen.

The rest of the thing is fine enough for the price, but WTF?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Picked up a new Colt Competition in .45 ACP yesterday and was gobsmacked at the cheese they installed for action parts.

Swiftly remedied with an ancient but perfect tool steel C&S action kit I’ve had sitting around since the Bush administration (the one with the charming dog) but seriously, this might be the worst sear and hammer interface I’ve ever seen.

That hammer and sear are incredible...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That hammer and sear are incredible...
    Yeah. I've oogled that exact model in the gun cases and online many times... And she's a beaut. But I don't have much faith in finding a 1911 that doesn't need some attention mechanically, right out of he box, unless I were to spend big bucks up front.

Site Supporter
    Sadly these days if you want a Colt with quality machined parts you have to go Custom Shop. And not Custom Shop as in commemorative and gaudy engraved guns, but rather the real Custom Shop models which are the Custom Carry and Custom Competition. Those are hand built using oversized barrels and machined parts. Their production line guns are very average.

Although I will say the small parts in my blued Classic S70 are much better than what is in that picture.

(Crossposted from the Tisas 1911 thread)

Just picked this up from my pusher. It reminds me so much of a 1980s American Handgunner cover I couldn’t pass it up. I’m hoping to do very little to it - different grips, springs if needed - and then beat it like a rented mule. I always wanted a buried Bomar on the 1911 I built back then, this made more sense.

Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  103.4 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Sadly these days if you want a Colt with quality machined parts you have to go Custom Shop. And not Custom Shop as in commemorative and gaudy engraved guns, but rather the real Custom Shop models which are the Custom Carry and Custom Competition. Those are hand built using oversized barrels and machined parts. Their production line guns are very average.

Although I will say the small parts in my blued Classic S70 are much better than what is in that picture.
    Of course I went into this thing fully expecting it would need work, like any relatively cheap 1911, but even I was shocked at this lockwork. Shameful.

I have a very crisp, 3.21# trigger with the C&S parts installed, thumb safety works well, grip safety may actually be sensitive enough for me to actually use without pinning, the Novak sights are very good, barrel lockup, fit and finish all good. Extractor needed re-tensioning (we'll see if it lasts, as a Wilson BP waits its turn).

I like the concept of the dual-spring RCS, will see how it does.

I took one of these pistols (NIB) as a partial trade a few months ago. It's gone now. I wish I had taken photos of the hammer and sear from that pistol. You and I could have a close contest one whose was the shoddiest.

My son bought the blued version a couple of years ago. Seems nice enough, but I haven't pulled out or eyeballed the guts of it.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List