Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    but yet the fix is to lock your wrist. I tried for yearssssssss to limp wrist a glock 21 and could not.

I have seen heavily used AR rifles short stroke by shooters (male and female) being to (as Garth would say from Waynes World) squiggly, but yet the fix is the person.
    Well, I agree to some extent. If you are mandated to carry a specific firearm, then sure it has to be fixed on a person level. For those of us with choices, we can choose to test and decide if the gun meets our particular standard. I have vetted several Glocks, which have passed extremely limp tests.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Funnily enough I have not been able to get a G21 to limp wrist no matter how weakly I held it, even when barely holding it with just my thumb propping up the backstrap and my finger on the trigger. I tried this on multiple occasions with different G21s. There was no support beyond making sure the gun didn't fly out of my hand or flip to point in an unsafe direction. Perhaps it would happen if I was using lighter ammunition than typical full power 230gr, but the G21 isn't designed for those lighter loads. I know back in the day some PDs would use reloaded ammunition on the light side, but I think that was more in the days of .38.

I do agree with you that a pistol should still function reliably even without a proper grip, seeing as injuries and other circumstances make a bad grip a real possibility when the chips are down. Another reason I'm still kind of a fan of revolvers.
    I did not mean to imply that all Glocks suffer from so-called limp wristing. I have several that have passed. Admittedly, I’ve never tested my Glock 21 because that was set up as a competition only gun. Sometimes a bad one gets through, and unfortunately, sometimes a bad batch gets through. I was surprised to hear all the issues the Pennsylvania State Police had with the Glock 21.

Yeah, limp wristing isn't something I'm concerned about with the G21 either. I am a little concerned that I've had the same bizarre 12th round malfunction with both Gen 5 G21s of mine, something that's never happened with any previous generation I've shot over tens of thousands of rounds. I do wonder if the Gen 5 G21 still has some minor bug(s) that need to be worked out. I emailed Glock to see if I get a response on their thoughts.

@SwampDweller do you have a set of calipers to measure the overall length of the rounds that were involved in the failure? I’m curious if there is a difference compared to other rounds you’ve been using.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @SwampDweller do you have a set of calipers to measure the overall length of the rounds that were involved in the failure? I’m curious if there is a difference compared to other rounds you’ve been using.
    Unfortunately I do not, nor do I have the rounds involved anymore. I loaded the rounds back in the mag, chambered them, then shot them without issue. For what its worth, I was visually inspecting each round as I was loading my mags (not that that is an exact measurement, but nothing looked off).

I do have another case of Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ .45 arriving today, which is my preferred vetting load because I've found consistently high QC with it (which is another thing that makes me doubt it was the ammo).

As I like to have 1k rounds without a stoppage through a pistol before I trust it (not all at the same range session mind you), even if it was a bizarrely specific one-off stoppage in each gun, vetting one with my preferred ammo - hell, really any .45 ammo - is an expensive prospect.

A new 45 option from Stoeger.

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/stoeger-str-45/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Got a G30 Gen 5 ordered. Will be posting how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A new 45 option from Stoeger.

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/stoeger-str-45/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Is anyone actually buying Stoeger handguns? I can’t believe they still make them.
    **OK**

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Got a G30 Gen 5 ordered. Will be posting how it does.
    It would be interesting for someone to run those same magazines from a Gen 5 21 that had the 12th round malfunction in the Gen 5 30 to see if the same malfunction happened in the 30.

I remember when S&W came out with the M&P45, they initially had issues with the mag springs. Seems like the top of the spring was angled forward instead of being inline with the rest of the spring. Don't remember any malfunctions at all with my 1.0 or 2.0 M&P45s, but S&W did send me a couple of new springs for the mags that came in my 1.0.

User Tag List