Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This is it, that's what I was thinking of.

One would think so for sure, but some of the early 4.25" & especially the 5" 9mm guns were atrocious. Not all certainly, just some. Those would hold this 6.3" at 25 meters only if it was a good day. I had a friend at a department that had some pissed off officers because they could qual better with their Shields than their issue weapon. They've long since went Glock. It was sad because other than piss poor accuracy, they were a solid gun.
    The M&P9s in question are not what can be considered a properly designed and functioning service firearm. They're not representative of a normal service pistol in 9mm. The "fix" for those is not to "tighten up tolerances", either. They're very well documented here, we don't need to rehash it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This is it, that's what I was thinking of.

One would think so for sure, but some of the early 4.25" & especially the 5" 9mm guns were atrocious. Not all certainly, just some. Those would hold this 6.3" at 25 meters only if it was a good day. I had a friend at a department that had some pissed off officers because they could qual better with their Shields than their issue weapon. They've long since went Glock. It was sad because other than piss poor accuracy, they were a solid gun.
    Only in 9mm.

The .40 cal M&P’s did not have accuracy issues either. Not quite as accurate as the .45’s but few .40s are.

Vending Machine Operator
    I used to be the sort to dismiss accuracy complaints / praise out of hand because I thought it was 99.9% a skill issue. The guns that disabused me of that notion: CZ-75BD, M&P 2.0 .45 4.6", Glock 17 Gen 5, and Sig P220R. All of those felt/feel like they're doing the shooting for me they're so accurate.

I still think it's 90% a skill issue, but that hardware 10% is real.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I used to be the sort to dismiss accuracy complaints / praise out of hand because I thought it was 99.9% a skill issue. The guns that disabused me of that notion: CZ-75BD, M&P 2.0 .45 4.6", Glock 17 Gen 5, and Sig P220R. All of those felt/feel like they're doing the shooting for me they're so accurate.

I still think it's 90% a skill issue, but that hardware 10% is real.
    The percent for hardware issue will vary depending on the variance of hardware capability. I couldn’t do better than 8 inches at 25 yards with my Gen 4 34. Of course it “was me”, you don’t know how to shoot a Glock, blah, blah. Had. Barsto barrel fitted and first day out I did 5 out of 6 touching at 25 yards. (That 6th likely was me).

Obviously this particular sample wasn’t the norm, and I likely could have sent it back. Still, I was looking for something better that even a good factory sample, and I certainly got it.

HK USP 45
    Very accurate, very reliable, very tough.
    Helps that I have bony XL hands.

Site Supporter
    S&W sold large numbers of M&P 9mm pistols with accuracy and reliability issues. I read that the 9mm pistols are now suitable. I've owned all calibers. My current Compact is excellent. I had better service from the 45 Compact than the full size. My 40 cal full size was good.

Perhaps a knowledgeable member can explain how Smith fixed and made the 9mm models run well. For decades I have been a Smith pistol apologist and am happy that I no longer must apologize.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    S&W sold large numbers of M&P 9mm pistols with accuracy and reliability issues. I read that the 9mm pistols are now suitable. I've owned all calibers. My current Compact is excellent. I had better service from the 45 Compact than the full size. My 40 cal full size was good.

Perhaps a knowledgeable member can explain how Smith fixed and made the 9mm models run well. For decades I have been a Smith pistol apologist and am happy that I no longer must apologize.
    Randy Lee at Apex said it had to do with the barrel unlocking too soon during the firing cycle or some type of lockup failure due to the lower lugs having too short of a bearing surface.

Not sure if he's right or wrong, but the barrels he makes to fix the M&P put the gun in the same league as an HK or a 1911 in my experience.

So maybe smith heeded his advice or figured it out themselves. My brother's 2.0 required a barrel replacement because of poor accuracy and is now laser beam accurate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Randy Lee at Apex said it had to do with the barrel unlocking too soon during the firing cycle or some type of lockup failure due to the lower lugs having too short of a bearing surface.

Not sure if he's right or wrong, but the barrels he makes to fix the M&P put the gun in the same league as an HK or a 1911 in my experience.

So maybe smith heeded his advice or figured it out themselves. My brother's 2.0 required a barrel replacement because of poor accuracy and is now laser beam accurate.
    The barrel unlocking determines dwell time. Ruger hired the late Irv Stone, Sr of Bar-Sto barrel fame to advise them about their 9mm pistol's poor accuracy. His fix was modifying dwell time. Often I have wondered why firearm manufacturers flounder on some issues when they could have asked "somebody else down the road" who knew the solution.

How does the the new FN 545 stack up to the G21/M&Ps?

18rds factory mag option, threaded barrel, very solid optic mounting system. Seems pretty compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    How does the the new FN 545 stack up to the G21/M&Ps?

18rds factory mag option, threaded barrel, very solid optic mounting system. Seems pretty compelling.
    Never shot the FN 545, but after putting the sandpaper type talon grips on my G21 Gen 5 with Dawson sights, it's like shooting with cheat codes on. I've never had such superb control while shooting with any other pistol of any caliber. Something about the G21's grip fits me just right. It doesn't "feel" great, but for shooting it's amazing. Once I get past the 1k round mark without any stoppages with this G21 Gen 5, I will start conceal carrying it. Yes, it's big, but I've frequently conceal carried G21 Gen 4's and HK USP 45 Full Size pistols every day for years. With a good holster at 4-o-clock and wearing a black button-up Columbia fishing shirt, it conceals adequately.

As noted earlier, I do wonder about the kinda dinky looking recoil spring assembly of the 545, it looks like it was out of a subcompact 9mm. I have heard no bad reports about them (or good), though.

User Tag List