Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The .45 ACP, even the +P versions are simply low drama setups in my experience.

They just tend to run and run. As compared to the 10mm, they are substantially less finicky. When discussing non 9mm platforms, the Glock 21, or HK USP simply will function under a wide variety of conditions and will hold up to an extremely high round count.

Most my experience (in .45 ACP) outside the 1911 centers around the G21 (with a good bit of time on the G30 series). The various G21s will handle a substantial round count, are accurate beyond most people's ability or reasonable expectations, and require extremely little in terms of maintenance.

As far as field performance, the heavy .45 slug is one that has been getting it done for well over a century. Essentially the formula of a heavy for caliber .44 or .45 from the low 900s to around 1,000 FPS has been killing all manner of man and beast since the Indian Wars, the Philippine war in the late 1800-early 1900s , the Pancho Villa Expedition, etc. The formula has been killing American Buffalo (Bison), mounted soldiers and their horses, Grizzlies, you name it.

It was used in the original U.S. Army issued .45 Colt revolvers as a black powder load. Now you can get essentially the same performance in a semi auto pistol that is easier to shoot, and has a substantially higher on board capacity, with a much faster reload, though I don't think reloading is overly important in most field incidents.

My own personal experience has shown that the heavy slugs will punch right though heavy bones and muscle. It does not rely on expansion and penetrates in feet rather than inches. It does not get the press these days as most don't know anything about high performance .45 ammo. They simply know the old 230 grain ball ammo which is usually doing 750-800 FPS. Heavy 250 flat point hard casts at over 900 FPS are a whole other animal.

They are by far my favorite field load, as they are right at that "Goldilocks" sweet spot in terms of recoil and fast, accurate shooting. More often than not these days, when I grab a handgun for carrying in Grizzly country, it is a .45 with heavy loads.

Lost River pretty much hit the nail on the head. The 45 has very little drama and tends to get the job done very well. I carried a Glock 21 (Third generation) for over 15 years as my primary duty gun. I shot something in excess of 32,000 rounds through that gun. While I had significant parts replacements, I cannot ever recall having a malfunction. When I wander the backwoods of Montana, a stainless Colt 1911 Competition Government Model is my odds-on choice for a people/grizzly gun (I usually have a rifle or shotgun handy as well).

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This thread is tempting me to get a M&P45 or two.
    BobM:

I just saw an ad from AIM Surplus that was advertising "X Grade" Glock 21s and 21SFs for like $249.00 Apparently X grade means beat to heck finish but functional gun. I think AIM has recently had (and may still have) S&W M&P 45s in stock for similar prices. If I wasn't a fan of the 1911, I would probably grab an S&W M&P45 and call it good. The M&Ps got a bad rap initially (the 9s, the 40 and 45s shot very well) but they are great guns. People moaned about bad accuracy but thought nothing of dropping $500 for a custom barrel and its installation in a 1911. For the price, the S&W M&Ps are a great handgun. Add an Apex barrel to the 9mm version and maybe an Apex hard sear and drive on.

Merry Christmas!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

James from TFB disses 45, "for gun owners over 70."

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That comment will come back to haunt some people in about five years, when .45 is rediscovered as the "hot new round".

We've seen these cycles before and we'll see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    If stuck with non-expanding loads, that knocks 9mm completely out of the running for consideration in my book and makes .45 a no-brainer for an autoloader. I could see similar legislation becoming more common at least in certain areas of the US.
    Non expanding AND 10 round mag cap, making .45 even more appealing. That hollow point bullshit has been around since 1991. Has any other state passed such nonsense?

Site Supporter
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    BobM:

I just saw an ad from AIM Surplus that was advertising "X Grade" Glock 21s and 21SFs for like $249.00 Apparently X grade means beat to heck finish but functional gun. I think AIM has recently had (and may still have) S&W M&P 45s in stock for similar prices. If I wasn't a fan of the 1911, I would probably grab an S&W M&P45 and call it good. The M&Ps got a bad rap initially (the 9s, the 40 and 45s shot very well) but they are great guns. People moaned about bad accuracy but thought nothing of dropping $500 for a custom barrel and its installation in a 1911. For the price, the S&W M&Ps are a great handgun. Add an Apex barrel to the 9mm version and maybe an Apex hard sear and drive on.

Merry Christmas!

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce. AIM is semi-local, I’ll check it out. I do have an early Kimber Desert Warrior that works but I’ve mostly been shooting and carrying M&Ps in 9 and 40 since we traded the 5906s for the M&P40s. I’m up to at least a dozen. I also have some of Lost Rivers 40 ammo so I probably don’t really need a new 45, but I want one (blasphemy I know!)

Anyone ever modded a M&P for 45 Super?

I know enough super seniors who will leave him in the dust so maybe he is not wrong in a way.

3 min mark, somebody is shooting what I think is the 29, regrips their support hand every 3rd shot. Good endorsement, methinks.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Any sense whether in a similar pistol, for example, Glock 20 versus 21, or FN 510 versus 545, whether 45 is inherently more reliable than 10?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator

The attempted diss is an inadvertent compliment. I know a courthouse deputy in his mid to late 60s who has been carrying the same Gen 3 G21 the whole time I've known him. Very direct, quiet, polite guy. I get the impression he probably is not to be messed with using that thing.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List