Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I finally stumbled on the reason they call it a “22/45”. Aha. Now you have my attention.

Moar research needed but I’m suddenly now very interested in a Ruger Mk IV.
    Rich, I HIGHLY recommend you grab one. The grip angle, if not the sights, weight and general feel, is certainly 1911-ish.

I have the older MK III Lite model. Most definitely go for the Mk IV for ease of disassembly/assembly. And one of the heavier models; my Lite is too muzzle "lite" for a target gun or 1911 proxy.

Had it at the range this afternoon, and shot this first target at 25 yards. 100-5X (6X?)with bulk Aguila ammo (full disclosure, it has a red dot and a Volquartsen trigger):
    Name:  Ruger 22:45 Mk III at 25 yds.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  30.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I finally stumbled on the reason they call it a “22/45”. Aha. Now you have my attention.
    Steel Challenge is a lotta fun also...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    My HK45C V7 LEM came in today. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. This was an "LE" version that comes with three 8 round mags and tritium night sights. It's US made, though the barrel is marked as being German.
    The barrel, slide, and all internals come from Oberndorf- only the polymer frame is US made.

I put a few mags of 190pf 200 grain .45 through one of my ancient USP-C’s today, which reminded me why I switched to a Springfield Professional 25 years ago… I could almost feel that “midweek through a Gunsite 499 shooting Federal 200pf 230’s out of a plastic gun in 1999 acute epicondylitis” coming back.

Accurate little bastard though. Still delivers a nice, softball size Bill Drill in two and a third seconds. But, ouch.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 01-16-2024 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Rich, I HIGHLY recommend you grab one. The grip angle, if not the sights, weight and general feel, is certainly 1911-ish...
    B - I'm on it. I'll either track down a recent Ruger .22 thread to ask some dumb questions or start one to avoid continuing to get this one off track. Thanks though, this thing sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Rich, I HIGHLY recommend you grab one. The grip angle, if not the sights, weight and general feel, is certainly 1911-ish.

I have the older MK III Lite model. Most definitely go for the Mk IV for ease of disassembly/assembly. And one of the heavier models; my Lite is too muzzle "lite" for a target gun or 1911 proxy.

Had it at the range this afternoon, and shot this first target at 25 yards. 100-5X (6X?)with bulk Aguila ammo (full disclosure, it has a red dot and a Volquartsen trigger):
    Name:  Ruger 22:45 Mk III at 25 yds.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  30.9 KB
    I just started shooting my wife's 22/45 again recently because I put a cheap rds on it.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The barrel, slide, and all internals come from Oberndorf- only the polymer frame is US made.

I put a few mags of 190pf 200 grain .45 through one of my ancient USP-C’s today, which reminded me why I switched to a Springfield Professional 25 years ago… I could almost feel that “midweek through a Gunsite 499 shooting Federal 200pf 230’s out of a plastic gun in 1999 acute epicondylitis” coming back.

Accurate little bastard though. Still delivers a nice, softball size Bill Drill in two and a third seconds. But, ouch.
    Good to know its mostly German. I like that.

I'm not too knowledgeable about power factor and how that translates to recoil. Is 200gr 190pf a higher-recoil load than standard 230gr ball? I plan on mostly shooting standard pressure ammunition through this. I used to have and carry a TDA HK45C for a long time and shot it well, but got rid of it for more Glocks. I always liked it, but the V1's left side safety lever would eat into the knuckle of my thumb and cause bleeding if I shot a couple hundred rounds in one range session.

I'm not too knowledgeable about power factor and how that translates to recoil. Is 200gr 190pf a higher-recoil load than standard 230gr ball? I plan on mostly shooting standard pressure ammunition through this. I used to have and carry a TDA HK45C for a long time and shot it well, but got rid of it for more Glocks. I always liked it, but the V1's left side safety lever would eat into the knuckle of my thumb and cause bleeding if I shot a couple hundred rounds in one range session.
    Ditto on the safety. I dumped mine eventually for more Glocks too. It was my travel carry gun. The right size and capacity to go anywhere. I always wanted an LEM version.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Standard pressure 230 ball is around ~185 PF, but the specific 200 grain rounds I was referring to were from a batch I loaded in 2008, propelling a Nosler hollowpoint at 950 fps out of the USP-C.

Very accurate from my 1911’s but a bit snappy out of my USP-C’s, which produce a milder impulse with standard pressure ball. You will be fine.

My joking aside, I got a severe case of tendinitis halfway through a Gunsite class back in 1999 while using that same pistol with some really hot 230 grain ammo, which drove me to heavier frame 1911s back then.

First (but not the last!).45 ACP purchase of 2024: HK45C LEM. "LE" SKU with 3 mags and tritium night sights.

I used to own/carry a HK45C V1 and shot it very well. However, the safety lever would start making the knuckle of my thumb bleed after a couple hundred rounds, something that does not happen with the USP. I've always liked the idea and feel of the LEM trigger, so this is my first HK that has one. My intentions are to put 1000 rounds through this before ordering a JM IWB holster for it and start carrying it for when I want something smaller to carry than my G21s or USP 45 FS's (though with the G30 Gen 5 coming out soon, the 45C may get a run for its money. We'll see.). My intention is to send both of my USP 45 FS pistols back to H&K to have the Match Hybrid LEM trigger installed in each. I tend to do better with striker fired or double action triggers, or "thinking triggers" as DB calls them, than single action. I'm not sure why but I suspect its because I am forced to concentrate more on my shots. I think the LEM encompasses that aspect well.

I spend a lot of my day in and around vehicles. If I resume courier work, that will increase even more. After reviewing testing data from Speer, Federal, and DocGKR, along with my opportunity to participate in local LE testing, I do think there can be a slight but documentable advantage to the larger, heavier .45 cal against safety glass. The Gold Dot 230gr load seems to do very well in this. In the testing I was able to participate in first hand, deflection with the Gold Dot load after going through a windshield was relatively minimal compared to the 9mm loadings. In addition, I will be spending much more time in the woods this year, and if/when I'm not carrying a .357 revolver, I would like to be carrying a .45 loaded with @Lost River 's 250gr +P load that roughly duplicates the performance of the original issue .45 Colt loading. And hell, regardless whether there is any actual advantage to .45, I just want to carry one, I shoot them very well (especially the G21 which outshoots all my 9mm's), and I have a lot of confidence in my performance with them. I also still have a large stash of reloading supplies for the caliber.

(PS: Would love to see that .45 +P 250gr load with powder coated bullets!)

Name:  hk45c.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  44.9 KB
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-17-2024 at 08:01 AM.

I'm not too knowledgeable about power factor and how that translates to recoil. Is 200gr 190pf a higher-recoil load than standard 230gr ball?
    Me either. I have a tabular list of .45 ammo, sorted by power factor (assuming pf = weight in grains x velocity in fps, divided by 1,000). I can post it, if it would help. I've often wondered about that; but perceived recoil seems so subjective, and dependent on the shooter, I'm not convinced you could predict absolutes, just by power factor.

User Tag List