Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been really enjoying shooting the 10mm FN 510 the last few days. They also make the FN 545, which is a similar pistol, except in .45.

Any reason to have a FN striker in .45 these days, if you have its near twin in 10mm?
    YES.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Truth. I have delved into 10mm at least three times in my life and completely bailed within a few years each time. At my age there simply won't be a 4th time.
    So based on this statement and your avatar, what you’re trying to say is…

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If I still lived in NJ, I would be much more heavily invested in .45, since hollow points are legally problematic there.

I still have family in NJ. Depending on how often I can or must travel there, obtaining a nonresident license could potentially become worthwhile. This would provide another motivation to have a .45.
    Same here. Thinking about the permit as well, and like you feel .45 is the best option. Not familiar with the FN the OP is referring to. I have an old G30 and XDS in .45. Either would do. I remember liking the Shield .45 back when I did an XDS v Shield .45 comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If I still lived in NJ, I would be much more heavily invested in .45, since hollow points are legally problematic there.

I still have family in NJ. Depending on how often I can or must travel there, obtaining a nonresident license could potentially become worthwhile. This would provide another motivation to have a .45.
    While I have no reason or willingness to visit to visit or live in NJ, as a thought exercise I sometimes think about what I would carry there if I were legally able to do so. I think I'd be happy with any of the following:

-HK45c with flat nose FMJ
    -G30 with flat nose FMJ
    -Short Barrel S&W or Ruger .44 Mag loaded with .44 Special full wadcutters (or S&W Model 21 in .44 Special)
    -Short barrel S&W Model 25 or Ruger Redhawk (discontinued) in .45 Colt loaded with .45 Colt full wadcutters
    -S&W 625 in .45 ACP loaded with full wadcutters
    -GP100 7 shot loaded with hot .38/mild .357 full wadcutters, or S&W Model 627 8 shot loaded with the same.

I know there are arguments that expanding loads such as Critical Defense with the elastomer insert in the tip or Federal EFMJ are technically legal, but without a doubt such loads would make a NJ prosecutor water at the mouth even more. I don't think I would feel undergunned with any of the above options in NJ or any other location for that matter.

If stuck with non-expanding loads, that knocks 9mm completely out of the running for consideration in my book and makes .45 a no-brainer for an autoloader. I could see similar legislation becoming more common at least in certain areas of the US.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    While I have no reason or willingness to visit to visit or live in NJ, as a thought exercise I sometimes think about what I would carry there if I were legally able to do so. I think I'd be happy with any of the following:

-G30 with flat nose FMJ
    -Short Barrel S&W or Ruger .44 Mag loaded with .44 Special full wadcutters (or S&W Model 21 in .44 Special)
    -Short barrel S&W Model 25 or Ruger Redhawk (discontinued) in .45 Colt loaded with .45 Colt full wadcutters
    -GP100 7 shot loaded with hot .38/mild .357 full wadcutters, or S&W Model 627 8 shot loaded with the same.

I know there are arguments that expanding loads such as Critical Defense with the elastomer insert in the tip or Federal EFMJ are technically legal, but without a doubt such loads would make a NJ prosecutor water at the mouth even more. I don't think I would feel undergunned with any of the above options in NJ or any other location for that matter.

If stuck with non-expanding loads, that knocks 9mm completely out of the running for consideration in my book and makes .45 a no-brainer for an autoloader. I could see similar legislation becoming more common at least in certain areas of the US.
    So just to play devils advocate for a second would you not consider a 9mm revolver with wadcutters?

Site Supporter
    If stuck with an autoloader as my only handgun I’d go with a Glock 26 or possibly a HK45C LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    So just to play devils advocate for a second would you not consider a 9mm revolver with wadcutters?
    From an ammunition effectiveness standpoint, yes, but for some reason small, lightweight 9mm revolvers have been far less pleasant to shoot for me compared to .38. And in general I prefer rimmed revolver cartridges for revolvers with the exception of .45 Auto. It seems like there’s less drama that way. I do like the .45 Auto Rim option, though.

Site Supporter
    From an ammunition effectiveness standpoint, yes, but for some reason small, lightweight 9mm revolvers have been far less pleasant to shoot for me compared to .38. And in general I prefer rimmed revolver cartridges for revolvers with the exception of .45 Auto. It seems like there’s less drama that way. I do like the .45 Auto Rim option, though.
    That’s fair and I don’t disagree with you. If it wasn’t heresy I’d turn my 1955 into a Jovino clone. Carry it with a full moonclip and use speedloaders with 45 AR for the reloads.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

-G30 with flat nose FMJ
    IIRC, Mas Ayoob wrote somewhere that if he had to go back to a duty revolver today, he would choose a .45 ACP Model 625 with a bobbed hammer.

As slowly as I reload these days, I'd probably want a pair of them... and some really good suspenders.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    That’s fair and I don’t disagree with you. If it wasn’t heresy I’d turn my 1955 into a Jovino clone. Carry it with a full moonclip and use speedloaders with 45 AR for the reloads.
    What I wouldn't do for a Jovino clone, let alone a genuine one. In the right circumstances I'd be very well tempted to commit heresy on a 25-2 anyway and do it, to carry in the exact same manner you describe.

There's a (supposedly original) Jovino on gunbroker right now with 10 bids at $1275, with 3 days and 12 hours left.

...I'm going to have to keep an eye on it now.

Site Supporter
    What I wouldn't do for a Jovino clone, let alone a genuine one. In the right circumstances I'd be very well tempted to commit heresy on a 25-2 anyway and do it, to carry in the exact same manner you describe.

There's a (supposedly original) Jovino on gunbroker right now with 10 bids at $1275, with 3 days and 12 hours left.

...I'm going to have to keep an eye on it now.
    I won’t go searching for the next few days in that case, I hope you win it!

User Tag List