Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I would suspect mag A. But verify.
    Thanks Chuck, I’ll test it again. I did spend 45 minutes taking Mag A and C (C worked) apart and comparing them in detail. I can’t tell any difference. I even loaded them up each w 7 rounds of GMM. Also checked feed lip widths with a caliper, they are the same +/- a thousandth.

@JRV thanks, pushing $300 is a bit spendy for a range experiment for me. I’ll keep going with the GMM until I can score 100% (8/8 rounds inside the 10 ring) with a bunch of X’s at 10 yards. I suspect the GMM and my gun is well capable of that. Appreciate it.

@RJ absolutely agree that it’s spendy. The same amount of GMM at that link was going to run $208 plus tax and shipping. But, if supply on that ammo at that price ever dries up, the Wilson’s the next most cost-to-consistency effective I’ve found in the market.

Good luck with testing!
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

GMM is very soft shooting.

you would still be good with a 14 lbs recoil spring.

I wonder if that would give you better results, even though it's just with one mag.

I have some GMM 185 and I tried it for one match but it grouped left and I did not want to adjust my rear sight.

So I just went back to my 200 LSWC load.

I last loaded Bullseye pushing a 200 Penn slug in Oct 2019.

Ammo disappeared off the shelf in 2020 and then the VID, so no Fundamental Matches for a full season.

They are supposed to have one starting in April. I need to break out the grinder and knock off the rust.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 01-12-2024 at 09:25 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

I wonder if that would give you better results, even though it's just with one mag.
    So you are saying the GMM might feed better with a lighter spring? Hmm. I have the 16 factory spring still.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So you are saying the GMM might feed better with a lighter spring? Hmm. I have the 16 factory spring still.
    is it spitting the empties out with no authority?

I have used that combo with success in our accuracy matches.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

So you are saying the GMM might feed better with a lighter spring? Hmm. That I have the 16 factory spring still.

Sorry, not sure how that got posted twice.

Re: ejection, I confess I wasn’t paying attention today. I think most all the brass got chucked out more or less normally.

This was my dad's Colt that he bought in the 80s and he gave it to me in the 90s.

It was modified by David Sams to shoot lighter target loads.

It runs a 14# recoil spring and Sams told me the extractor is tuned soft for the loads.

He said, the extractor would need tension if I shot full patch 230 ball.

I aint shot it since 2019 and it does its part if I do mine.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 01-12-2024 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The simple 22/45 5.5" Target sure seems like a bang for the buck, they seem to be widely available and stable at ~$360 online.

ETA: Add in another ~$370 for a case of Mini Mags, and you are set for 5k rounds of fun and practice for about the cost of two cases of 45 ball.
    I finally stumbled on the reason they call it a “22/45”. Aha. Now you have my attention.

Moar research needed but I’m suddenly now very interested in a Ruger Mk IV.

My HK45C V7 LEM came in today. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. This was an "LE" version that comes with three 8 round mags and tritium night sights. It's US made, though the barrel is marked as being German.

User Tag List