Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

So it sounds like we've got some that use LEM like a striker fired, and some who treat it like a double action with one consistent stroke. Tomorrow I'm going to try the double action approach and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is this old news? If so I missed it.

Gen 5 Glock 30

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/gen5

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    That page must've just been put up today. I'd been checking almost every day and there were no Gen 5 G30s listed. It was announced last month in a TFB video, but only today is it up on Glock's website.

Damn... I want one. And I just got an Hk45C.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    So it sounds like we've got some that use LEM like a striker fired, and some who treat it like a double action with one consistent stroke. Tomorrow I'm going to try the double action approach and see how it goes.
    Smaller targets at speed were the discriminating test for me. Big targets took most of the shots in, even when I had that anticipatory push.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

That page must've just been put up today. I'd been checking almost every day and there were no Gen 5 G30s listed. It was announced last month in a TFB video, but only today is it up on Glock's website.

Damn... I want one. And I just got an Hk45C.
    I’m really moving away from Glocks, but I still do OK with subcompacts. I may need to use my GSSF coupon this year on one, but I need to handle it first.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I shot the HK45C LEM again today. Results were at least a good improvement over my first range session. I tried both schools of thought:
    1. Treat it like DAO. One contiguous trigger pull without stopping at the wall. Apply pressure the whole way through.
    2. Full stroke first shot, subsequent shots only let the trigger out to the reset and then break the wall like a striker gun.

I did #1 for a while and did see improvement. Then I tried #2 and my groups seemed to be tighter.

Here’s a pic:
    Name:  673D1D9B-3E0C-4DFF-B5FC-1706E5A247AF.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  44.8 KB

Top target is shooting it like a striker. Bottom is #1, which is (I think) the late TLG said to do it.

This was only from 7 yards, and I wasn’t going for as fast of splits as possible, but it wasn’t exactly slow either. Right now I’m just trying to master the basics before I start trying to get faster.

I shot my G21 Gen 4 and Gen 5 and it was imminently easy as always. As of today I have exactly 819 rounds through the HK45C, and no stoppages so far. If it makes it past 1000 this coming weekend, I will order a holster and a boatload of mags for it, and it will be cleared for carry.
    My G21 Gen 4 with several thousand rounds through it ran fine as expected. I may carry it tomorrow. It had been about 3 years since I'd shot that one in particular. At some point I do want to send it back to Glock just for a refresh and inspection.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-23-2024 at 05:32 PM.

I shot the HK45C LEM again today. Results were at least a good improvement over my first range session. I tried both schools of thought:
    1. Treat it like DAO. One contiguous trigger pull without stopping at the wall. Apply pressure the whole way through.
    2. Full stroke first shot, subsequent shots only let the trigger out to the reset and then break the wall like a striker gun.

I did #1 for a while and did see improvement. Then I tried #2 and my groups seemed to be tighter.

Here’s a pic:
    Name:  673D1D9B-3E0C-4DFF-B5FC-1706E5A247AF.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  44.8 KB

Top target is shooting it like a striker. Bottom is #1, which is (I think) the late TLG said to do it.

This was only from 7 yards, and I wasn’t going for as fast of splits as possible, but it wasn’t exactly slow either. Right now I’m just trying to master the basics before I start trying to get faster.

I shot my G21 Gen 4 and Gen 5 and it was imminently easy as always. As of today I have exactly 819 rounds through the HK45C, and no stoppages so far. If it makes it past 1000 this coming weekend, I will order a holster and a boatload of mags for it, and it will be cleared for carry.
    My G21 Gen 4 with several thousand rounds through it ran fine as expected. I may carry it tomorrow. It had been about 3 years since I'd shot that one in particular. At some point I do want to send it back to Glock just for a refresh and inspection.
    I was never able to work a trigger to reset shooting at speed. When trying it during slow fire I developed a bad habit of pinning the trigger. But I struggle to shoot decent groups with the LEM working it like a DA only too. I think it just takes a lot of rounds to find a rhythm with it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I was never able to work a trigger to reset shooting at speed. When trying it during slow fire I developed a bad habit of pinning the trigger. But I struggle to shoot decent groups with the LEM working it like a DA only too. I think it just takes a lot of rounds to find a rhythm with it.
    We'll see how I do once I start trying to shoot it at speed like that. The groupings in the targets above weren't exactly slow fire, but it wasn't rapid either. When I was actually doing slow fire, I did find myself pinning the trigger twice.

I did a tally and realized I shot 503 rounds through the HK45C at the range session yesterday. It didn't feel like that much, and I was shooting other guns too. Maybe that was too much for one session, but I do think it helped me get the hang of the trigger a bit better. Recoil from the 45C is pretty pleasant, especially considering it's a compact .45. That little nylon buffer apparently does a good job absorbing the shock of the recoil, as even the morning after my hand doesn't feel any worse for wear (other than my thumb from loading mags so much). I don't yet have any age-related hand issues at 31, so maybe that will change in the future, but for now 230gr Lawman doesn't cause any undue stress on my hand. I hear Mas Ayoob, Ken Hackathorn, and DB talk about how shooting full power .45 causes issues the next day, but I also haven't shot 50k+ rounds a year of .45 and thousands of rounds or full house .44 through snub revolvers for years on end. Most I've shot is full power .357, but that's always been through heavy all steel service-size revolvers with big cushy grips.

Overall, I'm encouraged by my improved performance with the LEM 45C, but I haven't started trying to speed up yet. Whereas with my G21s, rapid fire strings are a piece of cake with solid accuracy and splits only negligibly slower than with a 9mm (for real-world use applications anyhow).

Stealth Arms is teasing a 45 Platypus. I assume it will run on G21 clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Stealth Arms is teasing a 45 Platypus. I assume it will run on G21 clips.

So PSA is doing a Dagger in .45 and Stealth Arms is doing the .45 Platypus. Year of the .45? I have noticed a distinct increase in sales of .45 caliber pistols at my work over the past few months compared to the past 5 or so years.

We'll see how I do once I start trying to shoot it at speed like that. The groupings in the targets above weren't exactly slow fire, but it wasn't rapid either. When I was actually doing slow fire, I did find myself pinning the trigger twice.

I did a tally and realized I shot 503 rounds through the HK45C at the range session yesterday. It didn't feel like that much, and I was shooting other guns too. Maybe that was too much for one session, but I do think it helped me get the hang of the trigger a bit better. Recoil from the 45C is pretty pleasant, especially considering it's a compact .45. That little nylon buffer apparently does a good job absorbing the shock of the recoil, as even the morning after my hand doesn't feel any worse for wear (other than my thumb from loading mags so much). I don't yet have any age-related hand issues at 31, so maybe that will change in the future, but for now 230gr Lawman doesn't cause any undue stress on my hand. I hear Mas Ayoob, Ken Hackathorn, and DB talk about how shooting full power .45 causes issues the next day, but I also haven't shot 50k+ rounds a year of .45 and thousands of rounds or full house .44 through snub revolvers for years on end. Most I've shot is full power .357, but that's always been through heavy all steel service-size revolvers with big cushy grips.

Overall, I'm encouraged by my improved performance with the LEM 45C, but I haven't started trying to speed up yet. Whereas with my G21s, rapid fire strings are a piece of cake with solid accuracy and splits only negligibly slower than with a 9mm (for real-world use applications anyhow).
    Have you read Todd Green's long-term test of the HK45 or P30? If not, I recommend it. They're both a great read. Warning, the HK45 test will make you want to buy one. Here is a link to what I believe is the last post in the HK45 series. https://pistol-training.com/hk45-end...hirty-seven-2/
    This is another link that should pull up the entire HK45 series for you. https://pistol-training.com/?s=hk45

I used to be a pretty high-volume 45 ACP shooter. Mostly through 1911s. It does wear on you after awhile. I took a class with a 1911 and shot close to 1k rounds on the first day. I think that is my highest single-day round count of 45. I definitely felt it that evening and the next day. I invested in reloading, though, and settled on a pretty mild round for most of my shooting. There is a lot to be said for practicing with something similar to what you carry, but for practice on mechanics, I don't see anything wrong with a low-pressure round. It's not like the recoil goes away. I can't imagine of shooting 1000 rounds in a day of a full power round. But I have about 20 years on you. Hell, things usually hurt just getting out of bed.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List