Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 acp in 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    For at least the first 1k rounds, I'm going to use the factory 10rd G30 mags.

I shot a Gen 4 G21 of mine today as well for a few hundred rounds, same batch of mags (minus the two that had the jam) and no issues.
    Good call using the factory 10rd G30 mags for the first 1K rounds. If it runs 100% as shipped, then malfunctions with 13rd Glock 21 mags, that would surely be something to point to the 13rd mags as suspect.

What was it about the G19 Gen 3?
    Location and size of the hump made for an awkward grip. Didn’t point well, and forced my pinky into the gap between the gun and mag. It also didn’t allow for good recoil control. Of course, this is all based on my technique, grip strength, and hand size. Absolutely, YMMV.

The Gen 4, minus any backstrap, was just enough of a change to be a much better platform, again, for me.

Also, this wasn’t a sample of one. I’ve shot a dozen different Gen 3 19s, 23s, and a 32 over the past many years. From what I understand, the very rare Gen 1 19 was a 17 grip cut down. Based on some of the chop job 17s I’ve handled, it’s too bad Glock find carry that profile over to the Gen 2and 3.

I ran 60 rounds of Federal HST 230gr hollow points through my HK45C between this past Tuesday and today. It was all standard pressure except 4 rounds of 230gr +P. First off, I was surprised how tame the recoil was with the +P, and even the standard pressure. Usually in .45 I can feel a noticeable increase in recoil with duty loads compared to range ammo. I was especially surprised how controllable the +P was. I now see why DB was such a fan of this load in .45 caliber H&Ks. I now have a total of 1735 rounds through my HK45C, and it has been flawless and a joy to shoot. I've really come around to liking the LEM trigger, and I'm pleased how soft shooting it is for a compact .45. My JMCK IWB holster came in Thursday and I've been carrying it since. It's nice to have a .45 that conceals like a Glock 19! I carry it with HST standard pressure, though I'm thinking of switching to 230gr Gold Dot (not G2) when I buy more defense ammo for the increased performance against auto glass (I spend a lot of my days in and around vehicles). Federal's website shows that the HST does not penetrate 12" after going through the auto glass barrier.

I'm planning on getting a second HK45C V7 LEM to be a dedicated trainer/backup.

Sometimes I could feel (or at least think I felt) a "ker-chunk" when the slide was returning to battery. I don't know if it has to do with the HP or not, but there were no failure to feed and it didn't feel sluggish, per se. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Site Supporter
    When I chronographed the lots of .45 HST I have from my M&P45 Compact, the standard velocity went 869 fps and the +P went 896 fps from the 4" barrel. When I carry that M&P, it's got the +P version in it. Ditto for my S&W M22-4.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This thread is tempting me to get a M&P45 or two.
    I as well.
    Pre-pandemic, one of our local police supply stores had several trade in M&P .45s for just a bit over $200.
    I still kick myself for not picking one up.
    I have multiple 1911-ish .45s but do not have enough range time with them to consider carrying them and each needs some work to make them suitable for that task.
    Maybe I should consider getting rid of all but one and picking up a more modern .45 carry firearm?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    BobM:

I just saw an ad from AIM Surplus that was advertising "X Grade" Glock 21s and 21SFs for like $249.00 Apparently X grade means beat to heck finish but functional gun. I think AIM has recently had (and may still have) S&W M&P 45s in stock for similar prices. If I wasn't a fan of the 1911, I would probably grab an S&W M&P45 and call it good. The M&Ps got a bad rap initially (the 9s, the 40 and 45s shot very well) but they are great guns. People moaned about bad accuracy but thought nothing of dropping $500 for a custom barrel and its installation in a 1911. For the price, the S&W M&Ps are a great handgun. Add an Apex barrel to the 9mm version and maybe an Apex hard sear and drive on.

Merry Christmas!

Bruce
    My nephew was elected Sheriff in a small SW VA county that was the first institutional purchaser of the new (at the time) M&P pistol in .40.
    The previous Sheriff had bought them and being a die-hard Glock fan, my nephew had misgivings about the new pistol.
    He is now fully wedded to the platform and has recently traded them for the .40 2.0 version. His folks are mostly shooters and wanted to keep the .40 cartridge.
    I really want to try the .45 version for myself since I have no modern pistols for the round.

Site Supporter
    @deputyG23 - Definitely try an M&P45. I find it more comfortable to shoot than my 1911s; the Colts pretty much stay in the back of the safe now. The 1911 triggers are nicer but not enough to show up on a target in other than 2700 shooting IME.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Well, I shot one of my SA Professionals in USPSA Single Stack again today.

I had the whole squad laughing when I one-hand engaged a close target at the end of the second stage, and that sucker blasted every single paster clean off the thing. Fun was had, despite the 29º temperatures.

Also, 230 grains at 190pf leaves no doubt on poppers. Those things go down.

I ran 60 rounds of Federal HST 230gr hollow points through my HK45C between this past Tuesday and today. It was all standard pressure except 4 rounds of 230gr +P. First off, I was surprised how tame the recoil was with the +P, and even the standard pressure. Usually in .45 I can feel a noticeable increase in recoil with duty loads compared to range ammo. I was especially surprised how controllable the +P was. I now see why DB was such a fan of this load in .45 caliber H&Ks. I now have a total of 1735 rounds through my HK45C, and it has been flawless and a joy to shoot. I've really come around to liking the LEM trigger, and I'm pleased how soft shooting it is for a compact .45. My JMCK IWB holster came in Thursday and I've been carrying it since. It's nice to have a .45 that conceals like a Glock 19! I carry it with HST standard pressure, though I'm thinking of switching to 230gr Gold Dot (not G2) when I buy more defense ammo for the increased performance against auto glass (I spend a lot of my days in and around vehicles). Federal's website shows that the HST does not penetrate 12" after going through the auto glass barrier.

I'm planning on getting a second HK45C V7 LEM to be a dedicated trainer/backup.

Sometimes I could feel (or at least think I felt) a "ker-chunk" when the slide was returning to battery. I don't know if it has to do with the HP or not, but there were no failure to feed and it didn't feel sluggish, per se. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    HST is exceptionally accurate in all my .45s and is my first choice for carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Slice View Post
    HST is exceptionally accurate in all my .45s and is my first choice for carry.
    Nice. I'm debating right now whether to order more HST, or switch to Gold Dot. That stainless slide USPc 45 is beautiful. Always wish I'd gotten one, but I only see them used and for significantly marked up prices. If I ever find an unfired one at a price that is at least somewhat reasonable, I may pick it up. It's nice that it can use my HK45C mags.

User Tag List