Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisel knives?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There goes another $9.53 I didn’t need anyway We will know more Thursday.
    I take a miniature hand plane with me to shave off thin kindling to get fires good and started in wet weather without whittling and dulling my regular knife. Combined with a rock it looks like this could do the same thing hammering and be faster. Otherwise I'd be interested in what the hell it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There goes another $9.53 I didn’t need anyway We will know more Thursday.
    I'm interested in what you think of it when it arrives. I'd be more likely to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Chise...s%2C118&sr=1-7

I have an old 3/4" or 1" wood chisel that I've used setting hinges, door locks, and various other things.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The Hultafors are good basic knives, like Mora.

I can see it making sense for certain uses, like electricians work, but it's a little lightweight as a pry bar/knife combo, if that's what you are thinking.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

The Hultafors are good basic knives, like Mora.

I can see it making sense for certain uses, like electricians work, but it's a little lightweight as a pry bar/knife combo, if that's what you are thinking.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I keep a Morakniv Craftline chisel knife in my portable toolbox because it is useful as a both chisel and a scraper, and fills in for the single-edge razor blade that somehow always disappears when I most need it. Great for controlled "plunge" cuts and also works fine as a regular knife as long as you don't need an edge with a "belly." The black and yellow handle makes it look vaguely "DeWalt-ish."

The knife seems to be an object of fascination to many people, and I often get "Hey! Let me see that!" when I use it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Very old Scandahovian company. Surveyors liked their folding wood level rods because they were light and compact. That stopped making those in the last century and we couldn't source them any longer. A real work of art they were. I think I have one in the basement somewhere.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Graham Knives

If you like the knife and want an upgrade, try Graham Knives - the Razel line specifically (combination Razor and Chisel). I have a Ringed Tanto with Linen Micarta Scales - one of my favorite EDC.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'll just add that it's not a true chisel grind as it's ground on both sides which may not matter to you or might even be preferred...
    However, if you do want a true chisel grind you can get this one for an extra fiver:

Morakniv Craftline Carbon Steel Wood Chisel Knife With Sheath for Wood Carving, 3 Inch https://a.co/d/0hYtbvi
    What you bring up is important. I always use a Mora because I want a true chisel grind which allows me to get that blade practically flat to the surface I am scraping. Aside from the basic Mora chisel grind, I have never had two Mora chisel knives that were exactly alike, and they apparently change details with regularity. I don't go through them like popcorn, but they are working knives and s**t happens. The newest one in my take-along toolbox right now is shown below. It is actually a NOS one that has a stainless blade and rubberized handle; I think plain carbon steel blades and a harder polymer handle may be used in current production.

Name:  Mora chisel knife.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  78.1 KB

This video does a good job of showing the basic blade differences:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP2pAAa6mjw
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List