Thread: Field Use & Lowlight

Field Use & Lowlight

I've been very happy using RDS for my carry guns and my competition guns, and now I'd like to explore "field" and lowlight usage.

My field pistol has been an iron-sighted 10mm, and I'm moving to a .45 with a plate system. I get the sense that enclosed emitters are a meaningful feature for field RDS.

At the same time, I've been venturing more into the lowlight/night vision, suppressed rifle world, and I'd like to do some pistol shooting that way as well.

My current short list of RDS candidates for this use are the RMR HD, the RCR, and 509T. The auto-adjustment of the RMR HD seems really good, and I've heard that the 509T looks good under NVGs.

If there's one optic for both that people have had good success with, then that would be good to know, and also if there's one optic that would be best for field use and a separate one for NVG use, then that would interesting to know as well.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Of your list, I would pick the 509T. Not on your list, but I would also consider the EPS (full size not carry) in a 6 moa dot. I run in manual, one click below max intensity.

If you do select a Holosun, I would toss the Holosun branded battery that came with it, and put in either a Duracell or Renata. I have a brand new 509T, that the intensity wasn't as bright as I am used to, and after putting in a Duracell, it is of appropriate brightness.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You are a field pistol & RDS guru, thank you for your guidance. Are there other dots that you would consider for these role(s)?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I want a sealed emitter. Steiner didn't work for me, and the Acro has too much frame and not enough window. RCR has a goofy mounting system and too much frame. Wish there was a US alternative, but nothing is better than the EPS or 509T for my field use.

As to EPS vs 509T, they have similar size displays (509 is a tiny bit bigger). The EPS weighs less which I view as an advantage, for reliability reasons. The EPS has a lower deck height and can use normal height sights as BUIS. Also, it comes 6 moa which is an advantage. The 509's battery (1632) is slightly more common than the 1620 in the EPS. The 509 has auto, which I don't use.

I was initially skeptical of the EPS, because it was new and there were some EPS Carry early problems. As of today, I have a half dozen in use without issue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Very helpful, thank you! The EPS-509T difference appears to not be as big as I had imagined it. I've mostly been with RMRs & SROs, my next P365 or Glock 19 will wear an EPS, that it's getting thumbs up in field use is encouraging.

User Tag List