Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear Pro for AR/Rifle - Latest and greatest, what everyone's using?

I have also concluded that all foam plugs are not the same. And some of the max DB plugs are IMO enough for 16-18in guns when shooting outdoors. This is for me being the shooter, when another shooter at a match has a muzzle brake I put my fingers on the plugs while the rifle is being shot. Obviously if you were at a row of benches this would be no good.

But they are not so comfortable, and after several hours shooting I am glad to get them out.

Conversely, the lower DB plugs are very nice for motorcycling and mowing, and better if you are doubling up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Where are you putting the stock in your shoulder? I use MSA Sordins and don’t have an issue, but I have more of the toe of the stock in my shoulder pocket and an upright head position rather than burying the stock down in my shoulder and rolling forward onto the gun. Maybe worth consideration?

https://youtu.be/SqLX19etRx8?si=H1DhGu3qz2EkCbMW
    Sure anything is worth consideration. Thanks! I run it fairly high, toe placement like you... maybe higher. But you're also running a T1/2 (looks like), with my T1 I don't have this issue/or it's not as pronounced. This is with my LPVO. This has all made me question scope mount hight, if I need to move the scope back a bit, stock length, stock placement... et all.

So it does appear this is a technical issue on my end. Let me make clear... I have shot thousands and thousands of .223. But I'm at least 3x the pistol shooter. Haven't been focusing on carbine maybe 5 years.

I'd still be cool to see what everyone is using for ear pro?
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

I got lucky and found a set of 3M Peltor TEP-200 earplugs (NRR 23/27/30) for a superb price. Like you, I have trouble with my electronic earmuffs when running a long gun, so the above earplugs is what I use with long guns. I ended up having to buy the better noise rated plugs to get the sound reduction I preferred and better fitment, but I do like them. A lot people seem to be happy with the Axil earplugs which are less money than the Peltors. I was planning on buying a set of Axil earplugs when I stumbled onto the great deal on the Peltors.
    I believe that in my case it's partially an operator error since once in a while I can shoulder a long gun while using my earmuffs and have no problem, but most of the time I end up pushing the earmuffs around with the stock.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 12-12-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I got lucky and found a set of 3M Peltor TEP-200 earplugs (NRR 23/27/30) for a superb price. Like you, I have trouble with my electronic earmuffs when running a long gun, so the above earplugs is what I use with long guns. I ended up having to buy the better noise rated plugs to get the sound reduction I preferred and better fitment, but I do like them. A lot people seem to be happy with the Axil earplugs which are less money than the Peltors. I was planning on buying a set of Axil earplugs when I stumbled onto the great deal on the Peltors.
    I believe that in my case it's partially an operator error since once in a while I can shoulder a long gun while using my earmuffs and have no problem, but most of the time I end up pushing the earmuffs around with the stock.
    I ordered extras of the Skull Screws for the TEP. They fit/sealed the best

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I ordered extras of the Skull Screws for the TEP. They fit/sealed the best
    Those are the same ones I ended up ordering and using. Much better than the ones that came with the earplugs.

Some of the ear protection prices in this thread ... make a suppressor look like a good deal :-)

I'll be the contrarian here and say that I don't love the AMP. I bought the NFMI-enabled version with the plugs, and while the audio pass-through is nice, I couldn't get comfortable with the plugs, even trying a few different sizes of Comply foam tips that have worked for me in the past on my Otto plugs. I did consider getting custom plugs made and found a company that would do it, but never got around to pursuing that option. I also found the clamping force of the headband a little much, and didn't love the height adjustment mechanism. Difficult to explain, but I kinda felt like it was a pain to adjust the earcups symmetrically—it seemed like one earcup would extend on the adjustment stalk more easily than the other.

That said, my preference is still my 2010 vintage MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X combined with a pair of custom plugs from E.A.R. Inc., their Chameleon Ears PRO – DECi Impulse Filtered Earplugs. I've never had issues shouldering a rifle, even back in the day when I was using absolute co-witness mounts for my Aimpoints.

I also have a pair of Otto NoizeBarrier Micro which, when combined with Comply foam tips, is a great option for super-hot days here in South Florida when I want to wear a big floppy hat for sun protection which precludes use of traditional over-the-head muffs. They're not quite as comfy in my earholes as the custom plugs, so they do get a bit annoying after a couple hours of constant use, but the audio quality is exceptional, to the point that the first few times I wore them, I had to keep rechecking to ensure I had them in. I like doubling up as much as possible, so these don't get a ton of use, but they do fill a niche need.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Some of the ear protection prices in this thread ... make a suppressor look like a good deal :-)
    Except that you'd still need ear pro...

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Except that you'd still need ear pro...
    Each to his own ... with suppressors I'm sometimes willing to go with good foamies instead of doubling up. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I also found the clamping force of the headband a little much
    I did, too, but I was able to stretch out the headband without any issue, and it's now way more comfortable on that front.

User Tag List