Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two inch barrel .38 load of choice?

Federal Gold Medal Match Full Wadcutters , I had a small stash and it hits to the sights in all of our snubbies.
    For a reload , either Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P or Winchester Ranger Bonded 130gr +P.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I’ve got 110 gr Critical Defense standard velocity, which I understand penetrates better than +P
    That's my understanding as well.

Site Supporter
    You know I think most of us were a little surprised when Chuck Haggard said he carries ball for his snubby reload during Revolver Round Up but his reasoning is sound. It is the fastest, most foolproof thing to get in the cylinders and since most things don’t expand anyhow his emphasis is reliability, shooting to the sights, and penetration.

Site Supporter
    You know I think most of us were a little surprised when Chuck Haggard said he carries ball for his snubby reload during Revolver Round Up but his reasoning is sound. It is the fastest, most foolproof thing to get in the cylinders and since most things don’t expand anyhow his emphasis is reliability, shooting to the sights, and penetration.
    I've been looking locally for either R-P or Federal AE RNL for my snubby reload and can't find any. Ordering one or two boxes costs too much with shipping.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've been looking locally for either R-P or Federal AE RNL for my snubby reload and can't find any. Ordering one or two boxes costs too much with shipping.
    Sorry, just ordered 600 rounds of it, Federal AE, as my training ammo for 2024 from SG Ammo so the shipping was free but it still cost me $369.28. The bulk of my shooting will be with .22 revolvers and every two months I plan to shoot a modified Hackathorn Revolver Glory with my carry gun.

Sorry, just ordered 600 rounds of it, Federal AE, as my training ammo for 2024 from SG Ammo so the shipping was free but it still cost me $369.28. The bulk of my shooting will be with .22 revolvers and every two months I plan to shoot a modified Hackathorn Revolver Glory with my carry gun.
    I recently purchased an LCR chambered in .22 LR as a training analog and it does help with mastering the long DA trigger pull. However, I make it a point to shoot my daily backup gun no less frequent than once a week and I must say, the first one or two shots out of a .38 after shooting the .22 LCR is an eye opener. I couldn't imagine stretching the daily carry out to once every two months. But I'm also fortunate to have a range at work and can shoot whenever on or off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post

For me, it was obvious at five yards, rounds landing on the line between the nine and ten rings on a B-8. I never tried them past five yards for that reason. Other folks have found that their 442s/642s hit to POA with wadcutters, so you'd have to try them yourself to verify. My 642 is an LE trade-in, so it may have been regulated to the lighter bullets as an agency requirement.

I wish my 642 hit to POA with wadcutters, it'd simplify my handloading. Right now I'm loading 125s for the 642; I've re-zeroed my 4" M67-1 for them, and I have a 4" 10-5 that hits high with 158s so I filed the front sight down a tad to zero it with the 125s too.
    I’ve had a few air weights and every now and then you just get one like that. Honestly I don’t know if Smith and Wesson could do it on purpose if they wanted to. I only have the one j frame right now and part of that is because I know with my luck if I get another it won’t hit the same way my current one does. That, and they’ve gone up a bit in price lately - but what hasn’t?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I recently purchased an LCR chambered in .22 LR as a training analog and it does help with mastering the long DA trigger pull. However, I make it a point to shoot my daily backup gun no less frequent than once a week and I must say, the first one or two shots out of a .38 after shooting the .22 LCR is an eye opener. I couldn't imagine stretching the daily carry out to once every two months. But I'm also fortunate to have a range at work and can shoot whenever on or off duty.
    I agree, it is not a good plan but with work and family and Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas closed it is a realistic plan for me. Of course it also includes lots of dry fire.

Have a S&W Mod. 36 and just found a new box of Buffalo Bore 158 gr. Kieth Hard Cast SWC +P Outdoorsman in my bin.....was wondering if the pressure of these would be too much for a
    S&W "J" Frame...

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    Have a S&W Mod. 36 and just found a new box of Buffalo Bore 158 gr. Kieth Hard Cast SWC +P Outdoorsman in my bin.....was wondering if the pressure of these would be too much for a
    S&W "J" Frame...
    Ideally, contact BB for their advice. That said, all steel, model-marked S&Ws are +P rated. But with that said, all BB "+P"s are usually a little (or a lot) more "+" than most everyone else's offerings.

Bigger charge always equals faster wear in any gun. Your Model 36 nonetheless should adequately "handle" limited use of the round -- but will you? That is a thumper of a load intended for four-leggeds. What are you looking for from it?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List