Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two inch barrel .38 load of choice?

Site Supporter
    I’m carrying either Federal or Remington wadcutters in my Dectective Special and M49, and Ranger Bonded 130-grain JHPs in my 642. The 642 hits high with the wadcutters.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    148 gr WC shoot to the sights from my 642 and LCR,
    I carry Winchester but have taken a liking to Lost River STD pressure,
    they're accurate and manageable with a little more horsepower @ 750fps.
    I carry 110gr Critical Defense on a strip for reloads but POI is low with em.

Site Supporter
    George Arms 148gr wadcutters for carry, cheapest version of same for practice.

Site Supporter
    I’ve got 110 gr Critical Defense standard velocity, which I understand penetrates better than +P, in my airweight, CCI maximags in my 351C, and 158 lswchp +P in my steel frame revolvers although I’d be fine with 158 lswc or even 158 lrn as long as they shoot to the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’m carrying either Federal or Remington wadcutters in my Dectective Special and M49, and Ranger Bonded 130-grain JHPs in my 642. The 642 hits high with the wadcutters.
    I also use the Winchester Ranger Bonded 130 grain .38 special +P. I shoot it in my S&W 340PD.

I like Gold Dot 135+P and Hornady CD 110+P, and have a stash of each that will last a while.

As a side note, I have found the .357 LCR to be the perfect launcher for the Gold Dot -- very mild to shoot from the Ruger. I prefer the Hornady in Airweight Js.

The 642 hits high with the wadcutters.[/QUOTE]

...at what distance...thanks.

My 340PD is chambered for .357 magnum. I did try a couple of .357 factory loads for comparison. First up, the Winchester Silvertip 145 grain JHP. This is vintage 1980s. I shot 5 rounds and the recoil was brutal. Never again. I then loaded up with 5 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 135 grain JHP Short Barrel Personal Protection load. I consider a medium load based on recoil. Less than Silvertips but more than the Winchester Ranger. That's why I carry the Winchester Ranger load in my 340PD.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    The 642 hits high with the wadcutters.
    ...at what distance...thanks.[/QUOTE]

For me, it was obvious at five yards, rounds landing on the line between the nine and ten rings on a B-8. I never tried them past five yards for that reason. Other folks have found that their 442s/642s hit to POA with wadcutters, so you'd have to try them yourself to verify. My 642 is an LE trade-in, so it may have been regulated to the lighter bullets as an agency requirement.

I wish my 642 hit to POA with wadcutters, it'd simplify my handloading. Right now I'm loading 125s for the 642; I've re-zeroed my 4" M67-1 for them, and I have a 4" 10-5 that hits high with 158s so I filed the front sight down a tad to zero it with the 125s too.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Georgia Arms .38 wadcutters.

User Tag List