Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 145 grain Winchester Silvertip .357 Magnum HP gelatin performance

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    There’s other discussions here indicating it’s recent production. I have a couple hundred rounds left from a 2004 purchase that have been fine.
    Maybe it's just me, but the issues I have heard of seem decades ago, or the firearms used had "racegun" mods like non-OEM springs,etc.

-Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    Still on going, wasn't that long ago that we switched. I am not saying its junk, just better quality control available with other makers.

Use whatever you are comfortable with. I would be ok with it with good visual inspection, I don't remember duds or anything like that just actual visual loading issues that should not of left the factory.

Winchester is my last choice of the big names, this is from my experience along with quite a few others.
    You are wise to avoid ammunition/firearms you don't trust. I have switched opinions a few times myself in the past based on my own experiences or of othes that I trusted. There was a time that I only trusted steel and wood firearms, and didn't trust S&W revolvers or Federal ammunition.

-Ron.

We used factory stock Glock and SIG pistols that were inspected on a regular basis.

Modified or race guns of any kind were strictly banned.

Of course some people were much better about maintaining their weapons than others.

I can not think of a situation on the street that bad ammo was a problem for us, but issued ammo was found too many times with a defective round in one of the boxes.

The repeated statement while loading magazines from freshly issued ammo was visibly check each and every round of ammo.

I would carry the Silver Tip if I was you, try a few and look them over really good. If they look like they were loaded properly than they should be fine.

My opinion is buy another makers ammo next time if available.

I was issued a M-64 .38 in 1989 and later carried SIG and Glock.

I trust the older S&W revolvers more than other makes, not up to date on newer revolvers. Despite what a lot of people think, it seemed that the revolvers after awhile took more work by the staff than the semi autos. Timing issues after higher round counts with the revolvers would take some work to get the revolver back in time.

I also usually prefer Federal ammo.

Site Supporter
    We used factory stock Glock and SIG pistols that were inspected on a regular basis.

Of course some people were much better about maintaining their weapons than others.

I can not think of a situation on the street that bad ammo was a problem for us, but issued ammo was found too many times with a defective round in one of the boxes.

The repeated statement while loading magazines from freshly issued ammo was visibly check each and every round of ammo.

I would carry the Silver Tip if I was you, try a few and look them over really good. If they look like they were loaded properly than they should be fine.

I've been a visitor, shooter and vendor at your FTU for over 45 years and it's been very interesting watching all the changes there. I recall the "box of horrors" of bad Winchester rounds there and I believe there was one of those rounds present in one OIS. It was a dead round that when broken down had no flash hole.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Wayne, I had not heard about that one, that is very scary. I knew there was some primer issues on occasion couldn't remember the exact problems.

Well there goes my argument that you will be fine with good visual inspection.

Wayne, I had not heard about that one, that is very scary. I knew there was some primer issues on occasion couldn't remember the exact problems.

Well there goes my argument that you will be fine with good visual inspection.
    I once found a 223 ball round (Federal AE) with no flash hole. So far that's the only time I've seen that.

I understand any reputable agency not allowing race guns, that race gun comment was for someone else who had reported reliability issues here on PF that was a competitive shooter.

I have an older Ruger GP100 that typically is only for recreational shooting, and I use the Winchester Silver tip .357 load and also .38 Special target wadcutters. In about 35 years experience shooting this Silvertip load in my GP100, I have never experienced ANY issues whatsoever (completely stock GP100 except for an action job not involving spring changes).

For personal defense, my handgun choice is an unmodified Glock19 with Federal 147 grain HST.

-Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I have seen NUMERICAL expansion and penetration data for 145 grain Winchester Silvertip .357 Magnum HP, but have not found actual pictures of gelatin performance or expanded bullets taken from the gelatin. This load was reportedly tested in at least some parts of either the FBI or IWBA test protocols. Does anyone know where this data could be? I have the FBI - BRF data from when I was in the IWBA, is it in that database? I also have all hard copies of the IWBA - WBR journals.

Appreciate any info...

-Ron Jones.
    From my files. FBI tests. I've never seen photos of any bullets from the tests.
    I have a fair stock of this load. Never had any QC issues.

For your consideration: the Remington 38 special, 158 LSWCHP has very similar expansion and penetration from 4 inch bbl. revolvers with much less recoil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More from an old handguns mag article with a not very good picture of expanded bullet
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List