Thread: First exploration into red dots... G19 and Sig Romeo X... need suggestion

Site Supporter

First exploration into red dots... G19 and Sig Romeo X... need suggestion

Hi, all.

All of my defensive pistols, and the majority of pistols I own, are Gen 3 Glocks (plus a G43 and G48). And they all wear Trijicon HD XR iron sights. The Sig Romeo X Pro and Compact are the first red dot models that really make me want to try a red dot out. I would like to explore the world of red dots for the first time without having to modify any of my existing Glocks (yet). So I'm thinking an aftermarket slide that's pre-cut for the Leupold DPP footprint (Sig Romeo X Pro) would be a smart move, and then I can use my existing barrel and slide parts from my practice-dedicated G19. I was wondering of you could recommend a quality slide that takes OEM parts I could purchase to try this out, as well as any other recommendations you may have specifically related to proper mounting in the Leupold DPP footprint. I was thinking I'd like to keep my rear iron sight dovetail. and mount the red dot in front of it, but the Romeo X may make that obsolete with the embedded rear sight. Thoughts on that? Note that I have read extensively here several threads on best mounting practices, but if anyone has specific experience that would be welcome. Thank you.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi, all.

All of my defensive pistols, and the majority of pistols I own, are Gen 3 Glocks (plus a G43 and G48). And they all wear Trijicon HD XR iron sights. The Sig Romeo X Pro and Compact are the first red dot models that really make me want to try a red dot out. I would like to explore the world of red dots for the first time without having to modify any of my existing Glocks (yet). So I'm thinking an aftermarket slide that's pre-cut for the Leupold DPP footprint (Sig Romeo X Pro) would be a smart move, and then I can use my existing barrel and slide parts from my practice-dedicated G19. I was wondering of you could recommend a quality slide that takes OEM parts I could purchase to try this out, as well as any other recommendations you may have specifically related to proper mounting in the Leupold DPP footprint. I was thinking I'd like to keep my rear iron sight dovetail. and mount the red dot in front of it, but the Romeo X may make that obsolete with the embedded rear sight. Thoughts on that? Note that I have read extensively here several threads on best mounting practices, but if anyone has specific experience that would be welcome. Thank you.

Chris
    Brownells. On sale for $140

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...lock-19-gen-3/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I second this recommendation, and have had 100% good experiences with Brownells slides.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My experience is with a Brownells slide mated to a direct-mount Holosun 507C. A pair of Trijicon XDs offer an excellent sight picture. Direct mount really is the way to go. The slide itself hasn’t presented any issues.

I would avoid aftermarket slide parts kits if possible. I had the tip of a firing pin break after some intensive months of JCN-coached dryfire awesomeness. This was with the Brownells Glock 19 Slide Parts Kit, bought during the fall of 2020 when nothing was available.

The same kit now appears to have been updated with a billet firing pin. If it’s for a strictly training gun, the kit appears cheap enough to “shoot until it breaks” but if it’s for carry or HD, I’d buy Glock slide parts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    My experience is with a Brownells slide mated to a direct-mount Holosun 507C. A pair of Trijicon XDs offer an excellent sight picture. Direct mount really is the way to go. The slide itself hasn’t presented any issues.

I would avoid aftermarket slide parts kits if possible. I had the tip of a firing pin break after some intensive months of JCN-coached dryfire awesomeness. This was with the Brownells Glock 19 Slide Parts Kit, bought during the fall of 2020 when nothing was available.

The same kit now appears to have been updated with a billet firing pin. If it’s for a strictly training gun, the kit appears cheap enough to “shoot until it breaks” but if it’s for carry or HD, I’d buy Glock slide parts.
    I had a similar experience with a firing pin breaking on a gun that had seen little live fire and a lot of dry fire.

The aftermarket parts kits generally seem like the easy button to get everything needed in one package, but upgrading certain parts seems wise. In addition to the firing pin (if not already upgraded in the kit) I would upgrade the extractor.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the recommendations so far. Appreciate it. I definitely prefer Glock OEM/factory parts. A stripped factory G19 slide would also work, if I could find an affordable one. Then I could send it off to a slide milling company to evaluate their work as well, prior to getting other pistols done.

So I'm thinking an aftermarket slide that's pre-cut for the Leupold DPP footprint (Sig Romeo X Pro) . . .
    Unfortunately, Palmetto State Armory doesn't make a "compact" Dagger slide with that optic cut, although you could get a "micro" one for your 43, or 48, which I believe has that cut.

I've been very happy the Dagger slide I put on my Glock 19 G4, mounted a Holosun 407CO to it. ( https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...per-green.html )

Its ugly, but its reliable, accurate, and inexpensive.

The Sig Romeo X Pro and Compact are the first red dot models that really make me want to try a red dot out.
    Chris,

Why are these the first red dots that make you want to try a dot out? Just a heads up, the window is shockingly small on this for occupying such a large footprint, in case you care about window size. They are listed as 24mm, but the rear opening was only about 17.5mm wide with my measurement. I assume they mean 24mm with the aluminum frame. A shitty gun website (most of them meet that description) I read even talked about how the 24mm window beats the windows on the 507K, 507C, RMRcc, and RMR, so I was expecting a 24mm wide window opening.

I put it on my DPP cut P-07 because I wanted something low with a built in rear BUIS. The controls are very nice and the glass is quite clear. The reticles switches through circle dot, dot, and circle only easily. It has good brightness. Otherwise, it's basically just another small window open emitter optic on a large footprint.

Site Supporter
    Hi, FreedomFries.

The Sig Romeo X Pro caught my eye due to all the positives you listed, plus the lack of fisheye effect and the flat side load battery (no tray). I have very high astigmatism. Even though it is 100% corrected by my Rx glasses, red dots still look a bit starry to me. With proper target focus its not a big issue, really. But the Sig red dots (e.g., Romeo 4T Pro and 8T) by far look the most crisp and clear to me, so I am assuming it will be similar with the Romeo X series. I am also not concerned about having an enclosed red dot on my pistol.

Chris

User Tag List