Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one pistol/handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    JCN being clever about a fun thought exercise
    Not gonna lie, while I stand by my order of choices his answer made me scratch my head and ask myself "Fuck, why didn't I think of that?" 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    That "made-up" definition is actually codified in this weird thing called the law. Repeatedly, and in lots of laws penned since the GCA of 1968.
    So while few if any of us are happy about the ATF's or other .gov entities or leadership that tries to circumvent the law, it is still the law we'd see used in a courtroom. So I'll have to beg your pardon if that carries more weight than a Google search and your functional fixedness with me.

Now, if you're this upset about JCN being clever about a fun thought exercise, I can't wait to see how pissed off you get when you learn he's taken a Dremel tool to more nice new guns than most people will ever own. Stranger still, he usually gets pretty good (or at least interesting ones) from doing so.
    Or at least learns from the failures!

I don’t really think my guns philosophically as anything but a bunch of parts. They’re all meant to be optimized by me to the specific load I’m shooting. Factory guns generally come optimized for NATO powered 9mm and unless that’s the load I’m shooting, the factory springs… just like the factory alignment on any of my GT3s… aren’t optimized for my application.

I don’t think suppressor part laws make sense, but I abide by them because the law is the law. Hey, I got basically a brand new suppressor when AAC took my old one and cut the label from the old one off and built a whole new can.

It’s literally an entirely new can except for the serial band. By the law it’s the same suppressor but I can exploit that to my benefit because the law allows it.

Don’t hate the playa.

My option

Currently I’m on a 10 mm kick, so mine is a glock 29 with extra .40 and .357 sig barrels and another 6 inch KKM 10 mm barrel for hunting. And two more spare glock 29s. And a 4 inch Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Last night, a friend told me that he bought an optic ready VP9-B. I pulled mine out of the safe and it felt wonderful in my hands. Enough so, I took it to the range, thinking I might set one up with an EPS. I shot an array, and repeated it, to get a baseline. Then I repeated the same with a Glock 19. I was about ten percent better with the Glock. The VP9, which felt so good holding it, squirmed around in recoil, and the squarish 19 frame just was easier to control in recoil.
    I had much the same experience. I was hellbent on replacing my G19s with VP9s, it felt like heaven in my hand... until I started shooting it. Noticeably more muzzle flip and I objectively shot better with the 19 and it's more square frame. I found the same to be the case with the USP vs the full size HK45 (HK45C grip is better suited for me). My brother had the exact same experience with the G19 vs VP9. Nothing wrong with the VP9, though.

It's really hard not to go with the G19 with how eminently practical it is, even though I would want to pick others. The only thing that might come close is the G21 because I just shoot it so damn well. Splits ever so slightly slower than a G19 with +P 9mm, but not enough to matter considering I'm able to call my shots with minimum effort.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 12-12-2023 at 11:48 PM.

A G19.5 MOS with a Langdon Grip Anchor and red dot of your choice would be my one gun.

I have no trigger time with the Sig 365 XL but would like to try one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I found the same to be the case with the USP vs the full size HK45....
    Yep. After trying multiple P2000's and a few other things I went back to a set of USP's and USPc's. Some other things feel better at the gun store counter, but the blocky USP consistently shoots better for me.

In fact, if I could keep only one, it would probably be my USPc 9mm.

That will be an APX Compact. No questions.

Sent from my BV8900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I own a special CZC 75B that was made and fitted with a 9mm, 357 Sig and 40SW barrel from the shop.

Attachment 112492

It was made that way… so @RealSelf what’s the deal? It came that way from the shop with all three barrels… did they sell me three guns?!!! I’m busting your chops but it’s clearly one gun and was sold that way.

It’s also the one gun I would pick as it was sold to me in that configuration.
    Hate to interrupt your discussion with the pedantic one, but need to know if your 75B runs all three caliber on the same slide? I have always assumed that the extractor would be problematic between the 9 and .40. That pistol is a real peach.

Glock 19 Gen 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Hate to interrupt your discussion with the pedantic one, but need to know if your 75B runs all three caliber on the same slide? I have always assumed that the extractor would be problematic between the 9 and .40. That pistol is a real peach.
    Thanks! It’s nice.

It does run all three calibers on the same slide. I’ve never had an extraction problem shooting each caliber.

It’s similar to having a 40 cal Glock and using a 40 to 9 conversion barrel. While the purists say change over everything… it’s very rare for anyone to have any functional issues with just the barrel swap alone (plus whatever recoil spring that matches your ammo).

The small frame CZ 9mm and 40 guns use the same magazines so that’s one more common element too.
    Last edited by JCN; 12-13-2023 at 08:27 AM.

User Tag List