Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The untold story of the MK23

The untold story of the MK23

We've all heard the history of the MK23, how it had to have all these different features and do all the things and whatnot. What you might not have heard is the story of the trials from someone that was there. I came across this cool video from the 1911 Syndicate complete with serial #5, the story of the phase 1 & 2 trials, stories of the MK23 in service, and some actual holsters and support gear. Plus demostrations. A long but wothwhile watch if you're into this kinda stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    That was a cool and interesting show, all the more so because of the special guest that had on.

Got nothing but love for my MK23.

It's a big ol bitch but damned if it doesn't shoot like a rifle. Mine lives on the nightstand with an X300, a 14rd mag and my Rugged Obsidian 45 can on it. Probably have it milled for an RMR or ACRO eventually, not like it would affect concealibility

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    That was a cool and interesting show, all the more so because of the special guest that had on.
    The fact that they had someone who actually participated in the trials and carried it in the field really made that video something special. It also really changed my view of the MK23.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Peart View Post

It's a big ol bitch but damned if it doesn't shoot like a rifle.
    I found it particularly intresting how it was employed within the hide sites in case anyone got too close. Especially seeing the same drill run with a carbine. It really shows off the utility ofthe gun.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Good find!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Peart View Post

It's a big ol bitch but damned if it doesn't shoot like a rifle.
    I think that’s very similar to what SLG has said about the one he carried for work one time.

If anyone ever gets to attend a Bill Rapier class, he handled the T&E effort/trials to replace the Mk23 for his organization. They eventually selected the HK45C out of three or four pistols, but he can talk a lot about the -23 and -45C in service.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Very cool video, especially because like most everyone else I believed the "adopted, issued, never used" story. Also, now I'm window shopping .45 cal HKs, so that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Also, now I'm window shopping .45 cal HKs, so that's great.
    I've always wanted a USP .45 anyway. But now I'm open to the possibility of a MK23 if a deal comes along at the right time.

Many years ago, around the early 2000's, I owned the USP Tactical in 45acp. It was an incredibly accurate pistol. One thing I do remember was that the thread protector would loosen and fall off. Replaced it more than once before I traded it on a Smith 52-2.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Many years ago, around the early 2000's, I owned the USP Tactical in 45acp. It was an incredibly accurate pistol. One thing I do remember was that the thread protector would loosen and fall off. Replaced it more than once before I traded it on a Smith 52-2.
    Teflon tape or “plumbers tape” sir (I know you’ve sold it now…). If you’ll do two complete rotations around the barrel - you should be able to snug the thread protector and it’s good to go. Works on my SP5.

ETA:

DUPPCOS Teflon Tape 1/2Inch(W) 520Inches(L), Plumbers Tape, Plumbing Tape, Sealant Tape, PTFE Tape, Sealing Tape, Perfect for Shower Head Water Pipe (2) https://a.co/d/fKly3RB
    Last edited by BWT; 12-09-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Teflon tape or “plumbers tape” sir (I know you’ve sold it now…). If you’ll do two complete rotations around the barrel - you should be able to snug the thread protector and it’s good to go. Works on my SP5.

ETA:

DUPPCOS Teflon Tape 1/2Inch(W) 520Inches(L), Plumbers Tape, Plumbing Tape, Sealant Tape, PTFE Tape, Sealing Tape, Perfect for Shower Head Water Pipe (2) https://a.co/d/fKly3RB
    How does that tape handle heat ?

A pistol barrel can get significantly hotter than a residential hot water pipe.

User Tag List