Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The untold story of the MK23

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    We've all heard the history of the MK23, how it had to have all these different features and do all the things and whatnot. What you might not have heard is the story of the trials from someone that was there. I came across this cool video from the 1911 Syndicate complete with serial #5, the story of the phase 1 & 2 trials, stories of the MK23 in service, and some actual holsters and support gear. Plus demostrations. A long but wothwhile watch if you're into this kinda stuff.

Ok, I’ll be the one.

The most interesting thing about the Mk23 is the hype and fan boi cult around a gun that was essentially a failure in actual use.

Accurate and reliable- yes. Too big, heavy and bulky for true pistol roles, and not nearly as effective as a true PDW which is only marginally larger or heavier.

The MK 24 (HK45C) is what the Mk23 should have been in the first place.

Name:  20231119_232615845_iOS conv.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  42.7 KB

I've been threatening to wear the Mark 23 on duty, just to be ridiculous.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How does that tape handle heat ?

A pistol barrel can get significantly hotter than a residential hot water pipe.
    https://ruggedsuppressors.com/suppre...ssor-walk-off/

While I am the one who recommended it here. I obtained the idea from others and rugged suppressors.

So far so good. I’d imagine it would be even hotter with a pistol suppressor.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Many years ago, around the early 2000's, I owned the USP Tactical in 45acp. It was an incredibly accurate pistol. One thing I do remember was that the thread protector would loosen and fall off. Replaced it more than once before I traded it on a Smith 52-2.
    On the HKs with the o-ring on the barrel for lockup, you can use a 2nd o-ring of the same size in the thread relief before the shoulder on the muzzle threads, and that will keep the thread protector tight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    On the HKs with the o-ring on the barrel for lockup, you can use a 2nd o-ring of the same size in the thread relief before the shoulder on the muzzle threads, and that will keep the thread protector tight.
    In the link BWT provided re: the Teflon tape, Rugged suppressors specifically recommends against O rings for that purpose as they can cause mis-alignment of the suppressor resulting in baffle or end cap strikes.

They also cautioned against putting the teflon tape right up against or overlapping the shoulder for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In the link BWT provided re: the Teflon tape, Rugged suppressors specifically recommends against O rings for that purpose as they can cause mis-alignment of the suppressor resulting in baffle or end cap strikes.
    Absolutely agree on teflon tape use with suppressors. Most teflon tape is rated for 500ish degrees F, so outside of extended full-auto use, it should be fine.

Apologies if I wasn't clear - I was referring only to using an o-ring to keep a thread protector on the muzzle, not a suppressor.

I have an hk45ct. I put an o ring on the barrel and screw the tp down and it rides over it snugging it in place. Hasnt come loose yet.

Thanks for sharing. That was a cool video to watch.

I have been carrying 700-800 rounds of 45ACP (WWB and Ranger T 230 +p) across the country for close to 15 years. I'll buy a 45 and threaten to shoot up the ammo and then it doesn't happen. Last 45 was a HK45CT LEM.

I tell you, if they made the the HK45CT LEM in 9mm, it would be perfect for me. But I shot it a few times and sent it down the road.

Had a USP 9T, made into LEM Hybrid, and just didn't enjoy shooting it. Trigger was great.

Today, if it doesn't have a red dot, or become red dot capable, then I am not super interested. Still love LEM but there isn't a 9mm LEM that I want to own/shoot right meow.

PS - I am sure if I bought a MK23 I could shoot up ALL my 45 ammo and never need to buy another one... Yeah, thats the ticket!
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 12-11-2023 at 04:15 PM.

User Tag List