Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: class or lack there of

class or lack there of

Todd I can't explain how much I appreciate your professionalism I don't really know were to post this I was going to set up training for me and a few of my friends for a road trip . The instructor/ owner proceeds to drop the F bomb and insult everyone around .I don't need to give his name but lack of professionalisim and insults were enough for me. I look forward to taking your class sometime in the near future thanks Todd G.

We are diminished
    You only say that because you've never been to one of my classes.

Personally, I enjoy a good-natured back and forth insult war. Depending on the class, Randy Cain's classes can get pretty, ah, colorful, and over the last three days I've been described in ways that would make a dockside hooker blush. I gave as good as I got, ran that bolt gun for everything I was worth, learned a metric shit-ton (oops!) and had a great time. I don't think that colorful language necessarily reduces professionalism - that's more a matter of safety, clarity, and effective communication... which Randy does very well, with colorful words or otherwise.

No offense or anything, just my $.02...
    Last edited by MDS; 11-08-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: speling
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

This wasn't me was it?

While I get the point, some guys, like Pat Rogers, just wouldn't be the same without the seven words you can't say on TV.

Depending on the class, profanity can be a useful psychological component of the training.

If your NRA basic pistol instructor is dropping F-bombs left and right, that's unprofessional.
    If your defensive tactics instructor isn't inserting realistic vernacular at appropriate times then he's not being professional.

That being said.
    It's never appropriate to address a student with profanity in a personally insulting or demeaning manner.
    There's a difference between addressing the class with "You MF'ers need to straighten your Sh' out, 'cause Charlie don't surf!" and addressing a single student with "You dumb MF'er, get your Sh' straight because you're a F'up." (unless you and the instructor both know it's good natured ribbing).

I have a potty mouth honed by years of working in the oilfield, but even I'm smart enough not to say F in church.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've trained with several prominent and well known instructors that have used profanity throughout the course of training. I've also trained with a prominent and well known instructor who has a "nickname" for many students, and "ribs" them.

It's not a big deal, really.

I care about course content, and if the lessons / drills are going to be beneficial.

There are some truly outstanding instructors who, at times, choose to use profanity. That's cool.

There are some mediocre and or poor instructors who use profanity in lieu of technical and tactical competence/proficiency. Not cool, and they'll never see my training dollars.

What JodyH said is spot on.

At the end of the day, training with firearms is a deadly serious endeavor and people need to check their tender little feelings at the Holiday Inn Express.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 11-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.

One of the first things said by a certain ex-Marine in a recent pistol class: "Is anyone offended by the word f@#$? It's pretty much the Marine version of 'um' so I say it alot."
    Thought it was polite of him to ask, and he was a complete professional, but I can see where it would be out of place in certain groups. In fact I think every class I've had the instructor did something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    This wasn't me was it?
    Tactical fagotry is one of the best things heard at any class I've ever been to. Just FYI.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    While I get the point, some guys, like Pat Rogers, just wouldn't be the same without the seven words you can't say on TV.
    "Sentence Enhancers"

Spongebob and Patrick aren't afraid of the FCC.

User Tag List