Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stage planning and execution: programming conditionals

I'd be interested in what a Gio or Les Pep would think. I always thought if you were shooting slow enough to think and make decisions you were shooting too slow to be competitive.

Maybe it was just my skill level though.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I'd be interested in what a Gio or Les Pep would think. I always thought if you were shooting slow enough to think and make decisions you were shooting too slow to be competitive.

Agree about that most of the time
    @Gio
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I don’t think of it as thinking, I think of it as plan switching and pulling in a complex module of actions off a stimulus.

Take for example a gun malfunction on stage.

Solving the malfunction doesn’t take a well trained person a lot of active thought… the click instead of bang sets into motion a secondary plan of multiple actions.

USPSA doesn’t often meaningfully need backup plans in high cap divisions.

But I’d imagine production would and IDPA definitely does because of reload rules and fault lines.

I always thought if you were shooting slow enough to think and make decisions you were shooting too slow to be competitive.
    This is where you let your Benos Zen kick in and let your subconscious make the decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    This is where you let your Benos Zen kick in and let your subconscious make the decisions.
    Yes. But how do we program logic for our subconscious to execute?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We are veering into the territory of some people are just better at things than other people. I shoot with one of my co workers. I practice MUCH more than him and yet he beats me most of the time. He seems to do what you are talking about almost intuitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't remember. It's been too long since I read the book.

I generally subscribe to this line of thinking: Make a plan, internalize it, visualize it, execute it as aggressively as possible. If you get off your plan (malfunctions, standing reload, etc), get back on your plan ASAP, even if that means throwing in an extra reload you may not need. The last thing I want to do is try to do mental math on how many rounds I may have left after my original plan got side tracked by a malfunction. For example, lets say there is an 8 round position, and I fire 6 rounds then have a malfunction, reload with a 10 round mag, and fire the final 2 rounds, leaving 8 left in the gun. I'm not going to waste my time thinking about if that 8 is enough to handle the next position, I'm just going to throw in another reload, which was the original plan after shooting that position.

My conscious mind executes the stage plan and programming. For example, during a stage, I'm thinking: "go to this spot, as soon as I finish moving explode out of position to the next spot, my foot needs to land on the X, etc." My subconscious handles the shooting challenges. I think the problem with planning back up plans is that most shooters tend to shoot their Plan A more conservatively if they have a back up plan, or if they need to execute on the back up plan, they tend to do some combination of both plans that ends up with costly mistakes.

The only time I'll really think about a "back up" plan is in a situation where I may go to 10 or 11 trying to merge two positions together, but the first position has some mini poppers. In these situations, I'll add a reload as a back up plan between positions if I fail to go 1 for 1 on the first position.

Most of this of course is more applicable to low capacity divisions.

User Tag List