Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 - Loose Packed in Cans?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Early production G2 did not meet specs and was sold off cheap with placard on cardboard cartons

"TRAINING ONLY - NOT FOR DUTY USE"

Accurate and functions fine but ZERO expansion.
    I snagged some of that a few years ago. It was cheaper than FMJ at the time.

An easy check is the primer. The recalled ammo had nickel colored primers. The new and fixed ammo has gold colored primers.

I believe there have been other lot(s) that were reclassified "Not For Duty Use" as well. I was thinking of ones with the blackened G2 bullet for some reason. Those would have the brass primers. I, personally, would not buy any loose ammo in a can whose history and lot numbers could not be verified, especially for defensive use. Just because it "works" in someone's gun doesn't mean it is suitable for defensive use and does not have other latent issues. It was reclassified "Not For Duty Use" for a reason. I have found it difficult, if not impossible, to get the real scoop on "overrun" or "Reclassified" ammo from the manufacturer (any manufacturer), and doubt I fully trust what a rep from the vendor (any vendor) says that is trying to sell the ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I snagged some of that a few years ago. It was cheaper than FMJ at the time.

An easy check is the primer. The recalled ammo had nickel colored primers. The new and fixed ammo has gold colored primers.
    Hmmm…
    My duty ammo recently issued by DHS is nickel-plated brass with nickel colored primers. It came in a factory box with lot number on the inside flap.
    The ammo I bought loose in a metal ammo can looks exactly the same. I’m not saying it’s identical in function, but it’s visually indistinguishable from the issued ammo.

So not sure that nickel primers are a reliable indicator of “old, recalled” ammo, unless DHS didn’t check the recall and issued it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Hmmm…
    My duty ammo recently issued by DHS is nickel-plated brass with nickel colored primers. It came in a factory box with lot number on the inside flap.
    The ammo I bought loose in a metal ammo can looks exactly the same. I’m not saying it’s identical in function, but it’s visually indistinguishable from the issued ammo.

So not sure that nickel primers are a reliable indicator of “old, recalled” ammo, unless DHS didn’t check the recall and issued it anyway.
    Well damn. I guess maybe they figured enough time has gone by they can use the nickel primers again? Now that I think about it, the recall was in 2015 if memory serves.

User Tag List