Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving Deeper into GP100 Shooting: The Journey Starts

I have a permanent callous on my thumb in that spot.

I took the Dremel to my GP100 and radiused the sharp edges to take the bite out of that spur.

A less permanent fix is to put a piece of lizard skin (bat tape) across it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am carrying the 357 135gr Critical Duty in my 4 inch GP100 and 4 inch Security Six.
    Hornady make good medicine. I like the Critical Duty loadings for 9mm and .45 ACP as well. In .357 magnum, you're looking at 1,275 fps at muzzle velocity. I also like the nickel-plated cartridge cases for carry; it gives you a bit more weather protection.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Forgot to add: My trigger finger has a blister after shooting. I found I get better control over the trigger if I have the first joint of my trigger finger over the trigger, but it apparently squeezes the side of my trigger finger a bit upon firing (particularly magnums) resulting in a blood blister as pictured. Any advice?
    Attachment 112193
    Radius the edges of the trigger and then polish the crap out of it. My SP101 ("The Rattler") came with most edges so crisp you could almost shave with them. The trigger shown is the result of my having bled, sworn, rolled up my sleeves, spit on my hands, and raised the Jolly Roger over a sharp trigger edge.

Many years later, I still congratulate myself for having attacked the problem so comprehensively.

Name:  SP101 trigger.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  36.3 KB
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Radius the edges of the trigger and then polish the crap out of it. My SP101 ("The Rattler") came with most edges so crisp you could almost shave with them. The trigger shown is the result of my having bled, sworn, rolled up my sleeves, spit on my hands, and raised the Jolly Roger over a sharp trigger edge.

Many years later, I still congratulate myself for having attacked the problem so comprehensively.
    This should have been my reaction to my SP101. I regret selling it and will buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Hornady make good medicine. I like the Critical Duty loadings for 9mm and .45 ACP as well. In .357 magnum, you're looking at 1,275 fps at muzzle velocity. I also like the nickel-plated cartridge cases for carry; it gives you a bit more weather protection.

Best, Jon
    Thanks. My first thought was to go with Hornady but after reading about how well the 140gr Silvertips performed back in the day by DB I ordered it on a whim when I saw it in stock at Lucky Gunner. I should have realized that current Winchester ammo isn’t made to the same quality standards as it used to be.

I’m probably going to go with Critical Duty as it sounds like a relatively milder load while still well within .357 Magnum territory, but what about XTPs as well? When I carry .357 it will primarily be for normal conceal carry defensive purposes.

Also, how many rounds should I put through a GP100 before I should consider it reliable enough for carry? For semi autos I’ve always gone with DocGKR’s recommendation of at least 500 and preferably 1000. Does that translate to revolvers?

Thank you everyone for the information so far. I’m on my phone at lunch so I will be able to dive in more this evening. I’m excited to really get into DA revolver shooting!

Forgot to add: My trigger finger has a blister after shooting. I found I get better control over the trigger if I have the first joint of my trigger finger over the trigger, but it apparently squeezes the side of my trigger finger a bit upon firing (particularly magnums) resulting in a blood blister as pictured. Any advice?
    It kinda, sorta looks to me like your trigger finger got down to the toe of the trigger a bit too much. As a start I'd suggest more shooting, with your being very conscious of the position of your trigger finger on the trigger, and see if you can manipulate the trigger from a slightly higher position. I would also go ahead and have the trigger profile and polished as mentioned above.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Thanks. My first thought was to go with Hornady but after reading about how well the 140gr Silvertips performed back in the day by DB I ordered it on a whim when I saw it in stock at Lucky Gunner. I should have realized that current Winchester ammo isn’t made to the same quality standards as it used to be.

I’m probably going to go with Critical Duty as it sounds like a relatively milder load while still well within .357 Magnum territory, but what about XTPs as well? When I carry .357 it will primarily be for normal conceal carry defensive purposes.

Also, how many rounds should I put through a GP100 before I should consider it reliable enough for carry? For semi autos I’ve always gone with DocGKR’s recommendation of at least 500 and preferably 1000. Does that translate to revolvers?

Thank you everyone for the information so far. I’m on my phone at lunch so I will be able to dive in more this evening. I’m excited to really get into DA revolver shooting!
    I don't vet revolvers as I do semi autos. I'll call a revolver good after 50 rounds of range ammo and a couple cylinders of my preferred carry load. Your primary concerns should be whether or not carry ammo hits to the sights, your primers ignite, and you can handle the recoil. That's what I do. When I load .357, I use Hornady Critical Duty and for the lighter revolvers, I use 110gr Critical Defense .38 +P. I am moving to wadcutters for the snubs after the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As I discussed in one of my detailed (ok, excruciatingly detailed...)threads, I do not recommend Winchester Silvertip .357 magnums (in my case the 145 gr) due to repeated quality control issues with primers and non-ignition last year. I'm currently carrying and recommending Federal 158 gr HydraShoks, which have performed flawlessly for me.

Best, Jon
    In semi auto calibers, it's my understanding that the HydraShoks are not really that great. Do the .357 Mag 158gr ones perform better? Reliable expansion and penetration, etc? I'm leaning towards picking up some Critical Duty 135 but am also open to others. Above was mentioned the Remington Golden Saber 125gr.

Also, I didn't know there was a difference between the normal Hogue rubber grips that come on most GP100s and the Hogue Tamers. Perhaps I should pick up some.

I was thinking of ordering a case of Speer Lawman .38 Special +P 158gr TMJ as a typical practice load.

In semi auto calibers, it's my understanding that the HydraShoks are not really that great. Do the .357 Mag 158gr ones perform better? Reliable expansion and penetration, etc? I'm leaning towards picking up some Critical Duty 135 but am also open to others. Above was mentioned the Remington Golden Saber 125gr.

Also, I didn't know there was a difference between the normal Hogue rubber grips that come on most GP100s and the Hogue Tamers. Perhaps I should pick up some.

I was thinking of ordering a case of Speer Lawman .38 Special +P 158gr TMJ as a typical practice load.
    In discussions with p-f members previously, the 158 gr .357 magnum HydraShoks were considered a decent choice, and they were available and were consistent in my testing for reliably firing and accuracy. I would be very open to Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Duty, as both appear to be very consistent and reliable performers in virtually any caliber they're offered in. I also have a small quantity of Remington High Terminal Performance (HTP) 158 gr .357 magnums, simply because it was available from the supplier when ordering ammunition when I was running an institutional training and qualification session; in my limited testing and use, it seems decent but I am more preferential towards the above-discussed cartridges.

I think the Speer Lawman .38 Special 158 gr +P would be an excellent choice for training and practice, I've used it and found it consistently excellent-I plan on ordering some for my future practice and match use with the GP100.

Any input from those here with experience with defensive .357 magnum cartridges would be most appreciated, especially since to date DocGKR doesn't have any rated that I could find on the Ammunition sub-forum here.

Again, I really wanted the Winchester 145 gr Silvertips to work. The stuff that I obtained BNIB last year when testing didn't.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I don't vet revolvers as I do semi autos. I'll call a revolver good after 50 rounds of range ammo and a couple cylinders of my preferred carry load. Your primary concerns should be whether or not carry ammo hits to the sights, your primers ignite, and you can handle the recoil. That's what I do. When I load .357, I use Hornady Critical Duty and for the lighter revolvers, I use 110gr Critical Defense .38 +P. I am moving to wadcutters for the snubs after the first of the year.
    Have you been able to find any wadcutters in stock?

User Tag List