Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving Deeper into GP100 Shooting: The Journey Starts

I just noticed that on my 6 shot blued GP100, the trigger gets noticeably sticky half way through the double action pull on one of the chambers. It basically stops and I have to pull a bit harder for it to complete its cycle. Is this a timing issue? I don’t recall ever experiencing it before, including while shooting yesterday. It actually does it on two chambers, one noticeably more than the other.

I have a total of 391 rounds through this revolver, a mix of Specials and Magnums.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-14-2024 at 03:20 PM.

On my GP100 stainless so far I have used snap caps to wear in the action. Without notice, I pull the trigger and it completely stops about half-way back. I rotate the cylinder back one notch to the offending cylinder and the trigger pulls straight back and releases the hammer. In other words, I can't reproduce the malfunction. The malfunction happens on a very random basis. This does not instill confidence. It's ironic that I decided on a 6-shot cylinder due to the issue associated with the 7-shot one. Man, that karma bites me once again.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    On my GP100 stainless so far I have used snap caps to wear in the action. Without notice, I pull the trigger and it completely stops about half-way back. I rotate the cylinder back one notch to the offending cylinder and the trigger pulls straight back and releases the hammer. In other words, I can't reproduce the malfunction. The malfunction happens on a very random basis. This does not instill confidence. It's ironic that I decided on a 6-shot cylinder due to the issue associated with the 7-shot one. Man, that karma bites me once again.
    After getting burned by my 7 shot stainless, it appears my 6 shot blued model is also starting to develop an issue after over 1 year and 391 rounds. Up to this point I thought it was good to go.

Makes me discouraged about .357 Magnum current production revolvers in general.

Another Data point

Folks, I have 2 7 shot gp100s (3 inchers) and one 4 inch 6 shot. Except for one with tight chambers that resolved once I purchased and received a chamber reamer kit (typical for my luck) they have all been flawless running mostly my own 158 grain reloads + factory ammo totaling 2500 mixed .38s + much smaller numbers of .357 through one of the 7 shot 3 inch (also has a bobbed hammer so only DA shooting) and the 4 inch Match Champion. I have purchased all of them new from 2022 forward.
    They’re not all riddled with issues!

Man, I wish I had your luck. Not only did my 7 shot have to go back, but my 6 shot seems to be developing problems as well.

Here are two pictures of the point in the trigger stroke where the trigger pull hits a very heavy wall and takes more force to complete the cycle. These are two adjoining chambers doing this.

I'm curious what might be causing this?

Name:  Gp100 Trigger 1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  GP100 Trigger 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  30.7 KB

Ruger’s firearms have always been inconsistent for me, but their CS is consistently excellent. I’d really give them a chance to work on the GP100. Ultimately if it’s still problematic they will replace it. But gotta give them a chance to do their part.

I’ve had a problematic GP100 4” blued model circa 2015. Ruger eventually replaced it. Same with my 22lr model. Other GP100’s have been fine. Can’t speak for the 7 shot model other than I really want one!

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Man, I wish I had your luck. Not only did my 7 shot have to go back, but my 6 shot seems to be developing problems as well.
    Sorry SwampDweller—That would be pretty frustrating. I have alway had above average customer service from them. I hope they take care of you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Here are two pictures of the point in the trigger stroke where the trigger pull hits a very heavy wall and takes more force to complete the cycle. These are two adjoining chambers doing this.

I'm curious what might be causing this?

Name:  Gp100 Trigger 1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  GP100 Trigger 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  30.7 KB
    The only time I've had a revolver be heavy at certain point in they cylinder rotation was due to either:'

1) Unburnt powder or the like under the extractor star in that area, easily solved by brushing it out.

2) Bent crane. Only experienced that once, on a Taurus 85CH I bought used in the early 00s.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The only time I've had a revolver be heavy at certain point in they cylinder rotation was due to either:'

1) Unburnt powder or the like under the extractor star in that area, easily solved by brushing it out.

2) Bent crane. Only experienced that once, on a Taurus 85CH I bought used in the early 00s.
    I did extensive scrubbing and cleaning under the exactor star the night after I shot it. Weirdly enough it wasn't even that dirty.

Doing my best to look for any gaps between the crane and the cylinder when closed, I can't really see anything off, but then again I may not know exactly what to look for. For what it's worth, I've never done the idiot move of slamming the cylinder shut by jerking the revolver to the right.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I do remember not too long after I got it, I thought at least one of the trigger pulls felt a tad bit heavier than the others, but after a bunch of dry practice I ended up writing it off as me being too anal (something I'm prone to regarding guns, but that could be because I've gotten legitimately burned so many times). Maybe this was always an underlying issue that only came to obviously surface now after getting almost 400 rounds through it? Two days ago was the first time I shot it completely with Magnums only (Remington 158gr, Hornady XTP 125gr, Barnes 125gr). It was a total of 88 rounds, all Magnums. Most other times were an even mix of Specials and Magnums.

User Tag List