Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving Deeper into GP100 Shooting: The Journey Starts

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Have you been able to find any wadcutters in stock?
    Underwood has WC's in stock.

Site Supporter
    SGAmmo has S&B
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, the S&B leaded bad, in a 640-1, the one box I tried a few years ago. Not as bad as PPU WC's, mind you... granted that is all dependant on throats etc that vary revolver to revolver...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    FWIW, the S&B leaded bad, in a 640-1, the one box I tried a few years ago. Not as bad as PPU WC's, mind you... granted that is all dependant on throats etc that vary revolver to revolver...
    Good info. I've never used them, I just saw that they were available.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Last time I bought Wadcutters was about a year ago from Federal’s website for Gold Medal Match and it was just over a dollar per round. I only got it for my 642.

Glad I cast and reload my own.

I put the Compact Lett grips on my 6 shot blued GP100. I can't explain why but it changes the feel of the entire gun and makes it feel more like a K-frame, or at least something noticeably handier. I'm sure it will be a detriment to performance using full power Magnum, but I really do like the way it feels and my finger placement seemingly is a bit more optimal. I have the Hogue Tamer grips on the way for my 7-shot stainless.
    Name:  gp100cg.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  50.0 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I put the Compact Lett grips on my 6 shot blued GP100. I can't explain why but it changes the feel of the entire gun and makes it feel more like a K-frame, or at least something noticeably handier. I'm sure it will be a detriment to performance using full power Magnum, but I really do like the way it feels and my finger placement seemingly is a bit more optimal. I have the Hogue Tamer grips on the way for my 7-shot stainless.
    Name:  gp100cg.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  50.0 KB
    Those grips change both the handling AND the looks to a remarkable degree.

For a long time I figured that if the full size GP-100 factory rubber grip left me cold, so would the compact. I wuz wrong.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Here are the results I got from ammoseek.com using .38 Special and 148 grains as the search criteria. Not all of them are wadcutters; the S&B have been outed as leading, the Fiocchi have been chronographed at ~500 fps, so I'd avoid them. Some of the choices are 148 grains but not wadcutters.

R-P is the only "major" manufacturer on their list. It's one of the two choices for best quality stuff, the other being Federal. They're ~$32/box of 50 plus shipping depending on where you get them from. I recently got a box of the current production stuff and it chronographed 673 fps with an SD of 8 from my M49, a little bit slower than the Federal but with a similar SD. So the good stuff's out there, you just have to look.

/thread drift

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Which version (TMJ or JHP) did you shoot, and do you remember the chronographed velocity?
    TMJ and if I remember correctly, about 870fps. I only fired one round through the chrono.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List