Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving Deeper into GP100 Shooting: The Journey Starts

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I will make an exception for 8 and 10 shot .22 revolvers as well.
    I’d go for that, even allowing that my sole .22 revolver is a 4 5/8” six shot Ruger Single Six that I found at Cabela’s Gun Library a few years ago. 6+ chambered rimfires are fun enhancers.

UPDATE: I finally received a response from Ruger and got the normal canned message of send it in (which is fine, that's what I was expecting). Being what looked like a prewritten message, they didn't address my request to replace my 7-shot GP100 with a 6-shot one, but I'm hoping they'll do that once they have the gun.

Ruger will not simply exchange this defective 7 shot model for a 6 shot. They will only do so if they can’t fix the 7 shot, which doesn’t help me because I suspect this is a dimensional issue of physical limitations and I will never trust this thing regardless. They won’t give a refund either.

I guess I just have to have them “repair” it and then sell it with full disclosure, because I’m not keeping it.

A bit disappointed.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-10-2024 at 03:31 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Ruger will not simply exchange this defective 7 shot model for a 6 shot. They will only do so if they can’t fix the 7 shot, which doesn’t help me because I suspect this is a dimensional issue of physical limitations and I will never trust this thing regardless. They won’t give a refund either.

I guess I just have to have them “repair” it and then sell it with full disclosure, because I’m not keeping it.

A bit disappointed.
    You may find an LGS that will be happy to swap you for the sixgun flavor, as John Q. has apparently decided that six rounds will get him killed in the street and he needs seven. Given the average end-user, it's a harmless affectation if the thing can be vetted.

Personally, I am at the point in life where I would probably need something belt fed to really get my way out of a serious spot, so I no longer give a slim-tailed, large barnyard rodent's exhaust that my 100 holds six and my 101 holds (gasp!) five.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    You may find an LGS that will be happy to swap you for the sixgun flavor, as John Q. has apparently decided that six rounds will get him killed in the street and he needs seven. Given the average end-user, it's a harmless affectation if the thing can be vetted.

Personally, I am at the point in life where I would probably need something belt fed to really get my way out of a serious spot, so I no longer give a slim-tailed, large barnyard rodent's exhaust that my 100 holds six and my 101 holds (gasp!) five.
    I would have to go to a different gun shop since I work at the one I've been using to ship this out. I could simply not ship it off tomorrow and do that. Hm...

The 7 shot GP100 was shipped off today to Ruger. My hope is that they determine the revolver cannot be properly fixed and they replace it with a 6 round version as requested. I left that request on the note I put in the box. If they send the 7 shot one back, I’m just going to sell or trade it in order to get a 6 shot stainless one. I do believe that the 7 shot GP100s in .357 are inherently flawed.

Which they may be but I've seen some that had no issues with any ammo. I wouldn't reflexively dump it. I'd definitely try it first.

It's not like you even need to shoot it. Just try different brass.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Which they may be but I've seen some that had no issues with any ammo. I wouldn't reflexively dump it. I'd definitely try it first.

I agree. The 7 shot GP-100 design is not inherently flawed. This is a tolerance issue that happens during manufacturing. I’m certain the CAD being used to manufacture the cylinders shows chamber placement that works. Unfortunately it seems the execution can’t meet the intent on some revolvers.

I think you can determine very quickly if the returned revolver still has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

I know this is OCD and a bit ridiculous of me, but I don't think I could trust it again after it happening so consistently, with my brother's right beside me doing the exact same thing right out of the box. Even if it is fixed, there will always be that doubt in the back of my mind. Considering the price of .357 and how much of it I would need to shoot to start to prove to myself it's good to go, I would feel better just getting another 6 shot stainless to go with my blued one, as it has been good.

Speaking of which, I shot 88 rounds of Magnums through my 4" blued 6 shot GP100 today. It was a mix of Remington 158gr SJHP, Magtech 158gr SJSP, Barnes 125gr HP, Hornady Critical Duty 135gr, and Hornady 125gr XTP. All ran fine, but by the last cylinder, closing it felt a little stiff, but it never stopped working.

Unfortunately I forgot my screwdriver and all of the ammo was hitting significantly high at 21 feet. However, the Critical Duty didn't seem all that much more off than the 158gr, which I wasn't expecting.

Those Hogue Tamers really make a huge difference. At no point was I tiring of Magnums and there was no pain in the web of my hand. It was exceedingly comfortable to shoot and very controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I agree. The 7 shot GP-100 design is not inherently flawed. This is a tolerance issue that happens during manufacturing. I’m certain the CAD being used to manufacture the cylinders shows chamber placement that works. Unfortunately it seems the execution can’t meet the intent on some revolvers.

I think you can determine very quickly if the returned revolver still has issues.
    Agreed. I've been working with a recent production 7 shot the past year. The cases in my handloading inventory, that would rimlock every time in the early production 7 shot, work just fine in this gun.

User Tag List