Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving Deeper into GP100 Shooting: The Journey Starts

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I think you’re exactly correct about my finger being pinched.
    I just realized that I should not have specified which rear corner. Either rear corner can pinch the finger, depending upon the size and shape of the finger. It does not take much stoning to remove the hard edge.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Both of these revolvers were purchased new within the last year and a few months. I was thinking of sending at least one off to Gemini Custom for some work and maybe they could do it for me. Funnily enough the blood blister was gone in 48 hours. The skinning in the web of my hand is still in the process of healing. I didn't even realize it was happening till I was over a hundred rounds of Magnums in. Perhaps in the meantime wearing a glove on my right hand could help.
    Try a piece of moleskin over the affected area, either on the web of your hand or the grip where it hits you. I've also used 1" painters/masking tape that I use to tape targets as a field expedient on my trigger finger when shooting torquey revolvers.

Both of these revolvers were purchased new within the last year and a few months. I was thinking of sending at least one off to Gemini Custom for some work and maybe they could do it for me. Funnily enough the blood blister was gone in 48 hours. The skinning in the web of my hand is still in the process of healing. I didn't even realize it was happening till I was over a hundred rounds of Magnums in. Perhaps in the meantime wearing a glove on my right hand could help.
    In regard to the damage to the web of the hand at the base of the thumb, I had that problem with my SP101 shooting magnum loads. I decided that the problem was that the circumference of the original grip was too small, it needed to be greater to keep my
    hand away from that corner of the frame in recoil. I tested that by wrapping the grip in layers of electrical tape to increase the circumference to about the same as the GP100 compact grip. Worked like a charm, no more web damage.

I've never had that problem with any of my GP100s with Ruger or Altamont grips. In any event, the fix would be a grip that covers that corner of the frame, or moves the hand out away from it. The Ruger compact grip is slightly smaller in circumference than the full size so I doubt it would help unless it lowers the position of the hand further away from the frame. A glove would obviously help. One other thing that occurs to me is a stronger, more aggressive grip on the gun. The more you keep the muzzle down, the less that frame corner is going to pivot up and come back against the thumb.

Why not just shoot target loads, it's easy on you and the GP. I never shoot anything over 1000 fps. That's why I have a 1989 GP with probably 35,000 rounds on it that works like new.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd93140 View Post
    Why not just shoot target loads, it's easy on you and the GP. I never shoot anything over 1000 fps. That's why I have a 1989 GP with probably 35,000 rounds on it that works like new.
    As long as your not shooting to fast 35k magnum rounds isn't going to hurt the gun either
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd93140 View Post
    Because I don't plan on carrying the gun loaded with sub-1000 fps target loads, and I want to practice with something at least somewhere near the feel of what I'd be carrying with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    As long as your not shooting to fast 35k magnum rounds isn't going to hurt the gun either
    What would too fast be? So that I don't do it

Also, if I were to carry this with .38 Special +P's, what are the best loads for a 4" barrel service size revolver? I have about a hundred rounds of Remington 158gr LSWCHP +P I bought when I bought my 64-3 earlier this year, but are there more modern loads that would be better? I remember @Chuck Haggard recommending the Gold Dot 135gr +P Short Barrel even for 4" revolvers, but I can't find that stuff in stock anywhere. I do see that the 125gr +P Gold Dot is available, but I can't find any testing or information on it.

What would too fast be? So that I don't do it
    Regular 0.2 second splits
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Regular 0.2 second splits
    Oh ok. I don't think I could do that even if I wanted to.

One thing I do like about revolvers is that it forces me to slow down and really pick my shots. At times I find it hard to justify carrying a 6-7 round all steel 4" barrel gun when I have 15-17 shot 9mms and 12-13 shot .45's, but if there is some increase in effectiveness with a good .357 Magnum loading, it helps, along with not having to worry about the kinds of malfunctions in actual shootings one sees in police bodycam videos, especially in vehicles (where I spend a lot of my time).

User Tag List