Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Holsters, One Gun?

Site Supporter

Two Holsters, One Gun?

I've been listening to snubby-centric podcasts and have a good bit of driving coming up. I'm considering ordering this holster for those drives. My usual carry position is at 3 - 3:30, which is where my seatbelt fastens, so if I needed the gun while in the car it'd be...awkward. The ankle rig would take care of that. OTOH, if I needed the gun while out of the car, having it in the ankle rig would be...awkward.

I'm thinking about wearing two holsters for the same gun (probably my 642) and switching between them as necessary. Does anyone have experience with this? I highly doubt I'm the first to think of this and would like to find out if it does or doesn't work.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Not to totally ignore your question... is it safe to venture a guess you've ruled out AIWB?
    Taking a break from social media.

Cecil Burch has spoken about doing this while he was still working in his suit and tie job. He’d have to do a lot of driving to see clients and would often have a pocket holster and an ankle holster on. The revolver would be primarily in the pocket holster but he would move it to the ankle holster for the drive to the client. Upon reaching his destination he would put the gun back into his pocket holster.

Why not 1 gun in each location ?

^^dis^^

An airline Jay frame with a quality holster and a sock or two if necessary can wear an ankle gun all day

Do it all the time

Either jacket pocket or pants pocket and ankle

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    NY reload!

If I were going to do something on the ankle it would be an Onion field type of thing with either a P32 or NAA mini or something.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    We did something similar years ago when it was just handier to have a shoulder rig for that part of the day spent in the car or truck.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Not to totally ignore your question... is it safe to venture a guess you've ruled out AIWB?
    That's a possibility, and I have AIWB holsters for a J frame, my 3" K frame, and my P99c. I've resisted it because I've got 40+ years of carrying strong side and that's a lot of re-programming.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I could do the Detective Special in the ankle rig and a K frame at 3:00 and use the same speedloader for either, like an old-school cop. In the context of "mission drives the gear train", I honestly don't see the need for two guns. And if I did get in a shooting, I can see an asshole prosecutor bringing that up as an indication of bad intent on my part.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Every time the gun is moved from one holster to the other, there is some risk of someone seeing the gun.

A prosecutor could try to make someone look bad for carrying 2 guns, but would be unlikely to get vary far given all of the literature explaining why backup guns are a good idea.

I have occasionally carried a Detective Special in an ankle holster. I would not want to carry a gun that heavy in that location very often.

With some practice and experimentation, it is possible to draw a gun from IWB while wearing a seat belt.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List