Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They'll Have Nun of It

They'll Have Nun of It

Maybe they should appeal to a higher authority...

Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-05 4.23.19 PM.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  60.4 KB

WILMINGTON, Delaware, Dec 5 (Reuters) - A group of Catholic nuns on Tuesday sued the board of Smith & Wesson to try to force the gunmaker to abandon the manufacture, marketing and sales of assault-style rifles that have been used in U.S. mass shootings.

The nuns, in a lawsuit filed in state court in Nevada, allege that Smith & Wesson's directors and senior management exposed the company to significant liability by intentionally violating federal, state and local laws and failing to respond to lawsuits over mass shootings.

"These rifles have no purpose other than mass murder," the nuns said in a statement.

Smith & Wesson, which is incorporated in Nevada, did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

AR-15 assault-style rifles have been used in a number of mass shootings that have shocked Americans.

The first page of the lawsuit contains a photo from a mass shooting at a Colorado cinema in 2012 that showed a Smith & Wesson assault rifle on the blood-splattered ground next to pink sandals. Twelve people died and 70 were injured in the attack.

The group of nuns filed the lawsuit in their role as Smith & Wesson shareholders, in what is known as a derivative lawsuit. Such lawsuits seek to hold corporate boards liable for breaches of their duties to shareholders, although courts generally find boards are protected from lawsuits for good-faith decisions.

If successful, the lawsuit would hold the company's directors liable for any costs associated with the allegedly illegal marketing of assault rifles and any damages would be paid to Smith & Wesson, not the plaintiffs.

The lawsuit is the first derivate case against a board over assault rifles, according to Jeffrey Norton, an attorney for the nuns...cont'd
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    A shareholder's derivative suit is a creative approach,but persuading a jury that a gun manufacturer breached its duty to shareholders by making popular guns will be a challenge.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Great! Now we have a commie Pope and anti-gun nun’s. I hope this litigiousness doesn’t become a habit for them!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    I met a nun who was packing a S&W .380 under her habit. So maybe everything balances out.

By the way, why not carry something bigger if you have the ideal cover garment? We may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Great! Now we have a commie Pope and anti-gun nun’s. I hope this litigiousness doesn’t become a habit for them!
    Well played.

It almost went out not with a bang but a wimple.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well played.

It almost went out not with a bang but a wimple.
    I’m working a crossword tonight, the clue is “wimple wearer”. New word for me

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’m working a crossword tonight, the clue is “wimple wearer”. New word for me
    Glad to be of service.

What happened to the vow of silence??

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What happened to the vow of silence??
    Yeah, and what about the 2nd Commandment Amendment?

Sounds like they should divest themselves of this eeevil investment entirely, if they feel that strongly about it.

I'd wager that more criminal homicides are committed with S&W-brand handguns than by their AR-type rifles.

User Tag List