Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck knives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    From local news clips-

Anyone want to chime an and tell us what we’re looking at here?
    Maybe an empty sheath on a neck chain?
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-05-2023 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Anyone want to chime an and tell us what we’re look at here?
    Maybe an empty sheath on a neck chain?
    Looks like a sheath to me. It could be from a Kershaw Dune, a narrow 3.8” tanto blade neck knife. It definitely looks like it to me at least. The sheath hangs from a cord that looks similar to the photo as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you have to ask why...

I've been using them for 30 years. Not for everyone, perhaps, but doesn't negate the utility for many of us.
    +1
    A knife is never idiot proof. Shoulder holsters and AIWB have claimed lives too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Replying in general;

I've personally observed a behavior with neck knives analogous to users fishing for the mouth of their holster with a no-look reholster, in which the knife bearer raises the sheathed knife and then pulls with effort in an attempt to defeat retention, repeating the action as perceived necessary similarly to someone giving repeated rips to a lawnmower's starter cord.

This behavior is not ideal, and most especially so when the knife departs the sheath before the user recognizes that the edge is exposed and ceases the action.

There is insufficient information available presently to assert whether or not the injury was sustained incident to an attempt to draw the knife, or upon an attempt to return it.

I stand by my previous remarks on preferencing a more harness-like sheath than necklace, for the function and carry location.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Looks like a sheath to me. It could be from a Kershaw Dune, a narrow 3.8” tanto blade neck knife. It definitely looks like it to me at least. The sheath hangs from a cord that looks similar to the photo as well.
    Looks about right.

That looks like an awful choice for a neck knife in my experience....both in terms terms of blade and handle length...and I wouldn't have great expectations for that sheath either.

ETA: Something I just found in one minute of perusal on amazon:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-05 3.53.34 PM.png
Views: 404
Size:  62.6 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Seriously, how do you accidentally kill yourself with a neck knife? You think you are shoving the blade back in the sheath but instead you stab yourself in the heart/aorta? I don't see it happening from drawing the knife sans Tourette Syndrome or some form of seizure.

I'd be looking at the guy's financials, life insurance and any association with the Clintons.

Site Supporter
    Is there any possibility that a fall could have caused the sheath to fracture when the knife was in the wrong position?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Is there any possibility that a fall could have caused the sheath to fracture when the knife was in the wrong position?
    I’ve seen the dune in person. The knife is very straight, solid, pointy, and sharp. The sheath is nothing to write home about. I could see a freak impact sending the tip through the drainage hole, at which point it would quickly progress to tracking free and on its way. I mean, it would take a direct impact, but I don’t see it as impossible. JMO.

Rule #2 applies to sharps in motion too, IMHO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you have to ask why...
    Yeah, that.

I prefer really small blades carried handle down. Longer blades/handles print for me. I can't figure out how I could have ever stabbed myself with one. The sheath is on paracord, tied in a knot that will release easily.

If I lived in Montana, I'd go full mountain man with a longer neck knife in a quilled/beaded sheath.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List