Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neck knives

What about this Ban Tang? Is the sheath suitable?

Specifications:
    Blade material: Magnacut
    Blade thickness: 0.140"
    Edge Type: Micro Bevel
    Grind Type: Hollow Chisel Grind
    Handle material: Resin infused cord wrap
    Overall Length: 4.5"
    Handle Length: 3"
    Cutting edge length: 1.45"
    Weight: 0.7oz / 20g (with sheath)
    Kydex pocket sheath included

https://illumn.com/ban-tang-knives/b...ruit-pick.html

Name:  IMG_5718.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  17.9 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What about this Ban Tang? Is the sheath suitable?

Specifications:
    Blade material: Magnacut
    Blade thickness: 0.140"
    Edge Type: Micro Bevel
    Grind Type: Hollow Chisel Grind
    Handle material: Resin infused cord wrap
    Overall Length: 4.5"
    Handle Length: 3"
    Cutting edge length: 1.45"
    Weight: 0.7oz / 20g (with sheath)
    Kydex pocket sheath included

https://illumn.com/ban-tang-knives/b...ruit-pick.html

Name:  IMG_5718.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  17.9 KB
    Im trying to understand how you hold it without your hand slipping onto the blade during impact.

Site Supporter
    Im trying to understand how you hold it without your hand slipping onto the blade during impact.
    My understanding is that some Tantojitsu practitioners would hold a knife with part of the meat of their palm, adjacent to their little finger, behind the end of the grip to keep the knife from sliding forward.

Of course a grip design which places a physical barrier beaten the hand and blade would be superior and preferred.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

With the given blade length, cutting or slashing would be more effective. The handle is likely designed for that versus thrusting.

Im kind of interested in this thread. I hope some members could post pics of what they consider to be good neck knives.
    A get off me not a knife fighter type.
    Im looking for something discreet that doesnt scream knife, light weight can be in the water so no wraps that arent epoxied. A member shared this with me and its available in titanium too.

Name:  IMG_5723.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  74.5 KB

There's nothing civil about this war.

Here's three of my knives from Fred. (Forgive the old images.)

This one, called his "Tribal" Griffe, was Fred's personal carry. He took it off his neck and gave it to me as a gift when I visited with him in Paris.

Name:  tribal3.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  32.3 KB

This one is a slightly larger "griffe" which I bought from Laci Szabo when we were hanging out in Miami.

Name:  Griffe2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  37.3 KB

This one is the original (prototype) "Subway Bowie" which Fred made for me while I was in Paris. (I named it Le Metro because that's where I carried it daily during the weeks I was there.) The pattern has gone on to be used by Sal Glesser and Spyderco in a different incarnation.

Name:  Perrin2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  22.3 KB

The beauty of Fred's pieces is that they are small, unobtrusive, hard to disarm and effective as a last ditch defensive weapon, or as a utility knife. These particular knives above are all 1095, not stainless. The tanto version is acid etched.

I've seen Fred train with these and you wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one.

Site Supporter
    I have at times carried a neck knife, most commonly an Emerson LaGriffe.

A small knife is necessary to prevent printing.

The ball chain or neck cord will almost always be visible around the collar, so something that does not look out of place is helpful. Something that will break if someone tries to choke you with it is also preferred. For these reasons, I prefer ball chain to paracord, although ball chain can look a bit out of place.

The sheath will make noise rubbing against the ball chain. I pull the center portion out of a 6” length of paracord, run the ball chain through it, and center the sheath on the covered portion of the ball chain.

I doubt I could get to a neck knife quickly.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

@UNK has some very specific purposes for the research he is doing which are not necessarily typical EDC related. (I'll leave it at that so as not to intrude upon personal / privacy considerations.)

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have at times carried a neck knife, most commonly an Emerson LaGriffe.

A small knife is necessary to prevent printing.

The ball chain or neck cord will almost always be visible around the collar, so something that does not look out of place is helpful. Something that will break if someone tries to choke you with it is also preferred. For these reasons, I prefer ball chain to paracord, although ball chain can look a bit out of place.

The sheath will make noise rubbing against the ball chain. I pull the center portion out of a 6” length of paracord, run the ball chain through it, and center the sheath on the covered portion of the ball chain.

I doubt I could get to a neck knife quickly.
    Ive read the Emerson chain is pretty long down to stomach level. Was yours that long? Ive also read its a black chain of smaller diamater than a typical dog tag chain.
    A couple questions is the chain durable, did the black finish come off?
    Another solution for the noise I read about was a rubber o ring that pinched the chain togather right above the sheath.

User Tag List