Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck knives

Site Supporter

Neck knives

From a scandal sheet:

https://nypost.com/2023/12/05/news/d...e-as-necklace/

Massachusetts dad accidentally stabs himself to death while wearing knife around his neck: ‘Horrible tragedy’

------

Had a neck knife set up. Nope, not practical for me. Only wore it to a match in a fit of Cos Play. If I wore it outside a shirt, my wife wouldn't let me out of the house. Under a shirt - why? In the shower, one argument for folks in unfriendly lands - maybe. For me - the fat old men in the gym seem not to be a threat.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

If you have to ask why...

I've been using them for 30 years. Not for everyone, perhaps, but doesn't negate the utility for many of us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Curious, what's the set up. As an officer who might get entangled, I could see it. I didn't see it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Curious, what's the set up. As an officer who might get entangled, I could see it. I didn't see it for me.
    I'm not an evangelist for the method, simply saying it has its uses. I wouldn't go out of my way to try to sell the method.

Gave me a way of carrying a small fixed blade on the job under casual plainclothes... for practical purposes encountered during the course of a day, as well as a backup. (I'm not a knife fighting practitioner and it is rarely something I dwell on.)

Very convenient for my walks with the dog, especially at night and when wearing jackets or coats. Also convenient when in gym or workout attire, or when hiking with a pack.

When I need it, it's there, and it's light and generally unobtrusive.

I happen to like small fixed blades as a class...and high quality ones really resonate.

Anyway, I'm fine with it being a "niche" method...but it's one I've adopted as a regular part of my daily carry...and I've had some knife makers explore the genre with good results.

Setup is as simple or elaborate as you like. I prefer a nice thin kydex or boltaron sheath with good retention and a necklace of your choosing...breakaway bead chain or other material. It has to hide under a t-shirt nestled between the pecs. Ergonomic handle, but thin in design.

Name:  Darrel Ralph Neck Knife.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  51.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I've had a smaller Spyderco clipped to my gym shorts pocket with a tee shirt flopped over it. Small OC in the other pocket. A gun is now a no-no in the great state of NY. My gym now has off duty law on the premises.

This hunting season when I’ve been in bibs I’ve had a j frame in my pocket and a Esee Izula worn as a neck knife. It’s for field dressing an animal, but still. If you’re not wearing a regular belt to mount your gear on, I like it. It’s easy to carry and actually with you.

I wouldn’t hate the same set up for t shirts and board shorts in the summer.

Being talked about at Spyderco forum. People are panicked and want to know if Spyderco neck knives are safe.

Article says nothing about it being a properly sheathed knife retained properly

From local news clips-

The author of that piece should be charged with Journalism While Incompetent and committed to a lengthy course of diagramming sentences.

User Tag List