Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden Ornament Turns Out to be Live Bomb

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Garden Ornament Turns Out to be Live Bomb

From BBC News:

A couple who kept an old missile as a garden ornament said "it was like the passing of an old friend" when it was detonated by a bomb disposal team.

The bomb, which had been outside the home of Sian and Jeffrey Edwards in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, is thought to date from the late 19th Century.

The couple had thought it was a "dummy" bomb with no charge.

The Ministry of Defence said it removed a 64lb (29kg) "naval projectile".

Mrs Edwards said she used to bang her trowel on the bomb to remove earth after gardening.

Name:  bomb_1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  48.3 KB

Tests proved the bomb was live, but with only a tiny amount of charge. It was taken to a disused quarry in Walwyn's Castle, covered with five tonnes of sand and detonated.

"Warships for the Royal Navy used to drop anchor in St Brides Bay and point their guns towards Broad Haven and open fire," he claimed.

"They used to use the sands for target practice. They'd make sure there was no one on the sands, mind!

"Well Pop Morris, who went around delivering lemonade, was going down to Broad Haven with his horse and cart and found the shell.

"He struggled back up the beach with it, put it on the back of his cart and had a very bouncy seven-mile ride back home.

"He plonked it upright in the front courtyard and that's where it remained."

The bomb was later sunk into concrete and painted red to match the window ledges when Mr and Mrs Edwards bought the house in 1982.

"It stood there during two world wars," said Mr Edwards.
    O_o

I wonder what qualifies as "a tiny amount of charge"?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

If memory serves, they were using tannerite for the charge at the time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Lots of bombs left in the world.

Name:  IMG_4548.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  36.2 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    "In thirty years, I can retire!"
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If I had to guess, it'd be an Edwardian-era 4" shell. Armor-piercing, perhaps?

The iron harvest is still deadly. Some guy died in this century when he was fiddling around with a Civil War shell.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The Brits do like their garden ordnance. Reminds them of the Blitz.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-03-2023 at 09:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Wiki says the English 64 pounder was a 6.3” rifled muzzleloader, originally made by relining an 8” smoothbore.
    No mention of “small explosive charge” the shell had a 7 lb bursting charge.
    No doubt black powder, I don’t think Tannerite had been invented in 1870.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wiki says the English 64 pounder was a 6.3” rifled muzzleloader, originally made by relining an 8” smoothbore.
    No mention of “small explosive charge” the shell had a 7 lb bursting charge.
    No doubt black powder, I don’t think Tannerite had been invented in 1870.
    I'm going by more that the USN 5"/38 was about a 70lb shell. Anyway, I'm betting that the muzzleloaders had been removed from service well before. My dim recollection was that those rifled muzzleloading cannon were pretty problematic and didn't last very long.

User Tag List