Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AP reporting US ship attacked

It is also time to put these countries like Yemen on notice. You let these a--holes launch from your country, you will suffer the consequences. If you let them launch from a neighborhood, or an industrial area, or a mosque, sorry about your luck. Have you seen the leader from Qatar making his splash as the 'facilitator' of peace talks between Israel and Hamas? Same warning to him. Let the a--holes reside in your country, sorry if we take out a little more than just their house.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    It is also time to put these countries like Yemen on notice. You let these a--holes launch from your country, you will suffer the consequences. If you let them launch from a neighborhood, or an industrial area, or a mosque, sorry about your luck. Have you seen the leader from Qatar making his splash as the 'facilitator' of peace talks between Israel and Hamas? Same warning to him. Let the a--holes reside in your country, sorry if we take out a little more than just their house.
    It was the Obama administration that brokered the deal for Qatar to host an office for Hamas leadership.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/obama-era...red-us-experts
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It is also time to put these countries like Yemen on notice. You let these a--holes launch from your country, you will suffer the consequences. If you let them launch from a neighborhood, or an industrial area, or a mosque, sorry about your luck. ...
    First, Yemen has been a multi-way civil war for years. The drones are being launched by one of the factions, so at a minimum you want to be attacking that faction, not their opponents.

Second, most of the Houthi (that's the faction launching the drones/missiles) live in what are, I think, pretty austere conditions. American suburbs depend on lots of fragile infrastructure, but I think your average Houthi village is pretty bombproof. I'm not sure they have much industry past goat herding, and those are kind of hard to bomb.

Third, you want to think pretty hard about, say, random mosque bombing as a method of changing public will - it is highly prone to backfire. There are a lot of examples from WWII where the partisans blow up a train or whatever and the Germans go to the nearest village and shoot a few dozen random people. That'll make people stop supporting the partisans! But it had the opposite effect - the brothers and sons of the executed show up at the partisan camps wanting to know they can take revenge.

FWIW, Iran has dirty fingers in much (most?) of the trouble in the middle east. They are the ones supplying drones to the Houthis, for example. What to do about Iran is above my pay grade. I think we are still paying for pulling the rug out from under the Shah. Unfortunately, that's water under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    It was the Obama administration that brokered the deal for Qatar to host an office for Hamas leadership.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/obama-era...red-us-experts
    This is my shocked face...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    There is always some reason why we can be attacked but it wouldn't be a good idea to respond. Cue Cornpop Fighting Joe arguing against killing Osama. Not an Obama fan on lots of his international actions but at least he pulled that trigger.

If we can't respond, why are we sailing around there, having troops, etc. ? Just to send Iran money?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I'll take a guess here as to why any sites in Yemen weren't attacked. The Carney didn't launch a Tomahawk counter attack because it may not have been targeted. Even if it was the missile may have come from a small town along the coast and civilian casualties could have been high.

After hearing some of the responses from Jake Sullivan it appears to me that the administration is working toward an alliance with other countries to protect the shipping lanes from terrorists not unlike what happened off the coast of Somalia. If you look at a map, Somalia is just across the Gulf of Aden from Yemen and the choke point for shipping in the Red Sea.

So instead of launching a missile at some mosque in Yemen, a better plan might be to get some other countries involved in protecting the shipping lanes in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/vi...n-for-shipping
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There is always some reason why we can be attacked but it wouldn't be a good idea to respond. Cue Cornpop Fighting Joe arguing against killing Osama. Not an Obama fan on lots of his international actions but at least he pulled that trigger.

If we can't respond, why are we sailing around there, having troops, etc. ? Just to send Iran money?
    Agreed. I also agree w/ most of whomever's post. This stuff can get complicated and unintended side effects can be hard to predict. But we are now up to 70+ attacks on US facilities/personnel and all we have done is shoot down a couple of drones or whatever these flying things really are. I am tired of this. austin stood up a day or so ago and came out w/ some no meaning phrase about what we will do to respond to the ship attack. Yeah right, we will respond. Who is he kidding? I am also not an obama fan and think the only reason he went w/ the osama raid was because he knew it would go public if he refused.

Site Supporter
    One might argue that not responding just encourages more attacks. The precursor comments about the Ukraine invasion and immediate action come to mind.

Biden and clown car said:

1. Devastating sanctions - seize yachts, close McDs.
    2. Biden said a minor incursion would be OK
    3. Offers sanctuary to Zelenskyy (is that a call to surrender)
    4. Pulled out our diplomats (others didn't)
    5. You don't need tanks and jets (our 'experts') say so.
    6. It will be WWIII, bleats Biden

So now most think, the captured lands are Russia's to keep. Big analysis in WAPO blaming Ukraine for crappy strategy and not following our 'experts' advice. Same 'experts' that said they didn't need jets or tanks. We just give them enough to keep from being overrun and annoy the Russians in Crimea.

However, VP Kamala tells Israel that we will not allow this or that action. We will "not allow or permit". How, cut off the Israeli yacht fleet?

Note - GOP ain't any better in some of its factions. Some good, some bad.

Agreed. I also agree w/ most of whomever's post. This stuff can get complicated and unintended side effects can be hard to predict. But we are now up to 70+ attacks on US facilities/personnel and all we have done is shoot down a couple of drones or whatever these flying things really are. I am tired of this. austin stood up a day or so ago and came out w/ some no meaning phrase about what we will do to respond to the ship attack. Yeah right, we will respond. Who is he kidding? I am also not an obama fan and think the only reason he went w/ the osama raid was because he knew it would go public if he refused.
    Obama used his cabinet to formulate a defense strategy. At the time his SOD was Robert Gates. If Gates hadn't recommended it, I doubt Obama would have green lighted the mission. He was smarter than that.

Biden has to rely on his cabinet to formulate a defense strategy. He has no choice given his mental condition. At least he still understands that there are people who know more than he does, unlike Trump.

No, I didn't vote for Biden.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    https://news.usni.org/2023/12/04/u-s...ys-white-house

My take: Fat chance of that. There is a world of difference between sending some ships to combat Somali pirates and fighting the Houti proxies of Iran. Who wants to get involved in what they would see as a US/Israel vs. Iran battle? The UK maybe - but with no offense their navy is pretty trivial nowadays with fairly unarmed ships in low numbers.

Those bigger navies - Japan, India, China (nope - they do the Somali task force but not fighting Iran) - the others have their own problems or political distractions.

Europe let its number of ships decline and logisitic support for actually engaging in combat - not going to happen.

Just more Biden fumbling around. OH, please Israel and Ukraine - would you just give up and wait for the next time when I'm gone?

User Tag List