Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: AP reporting US ship attacked

US, British militaries launch massive retaliatory strike against Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen

The US and British militaries have bombed more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen on Thursday (Friday morning AEDT), in a massive retaliatory strike using warship-launched Tomahawk missiles and fighter jets, several US officials told The Associated Press.
    The military targets included logistical hubs, air defence systems and weapons storage locations, they said.
    The strikes marked the first US military response against the Houthis for what has been a persistent campaign of drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the war in Israel
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Sky News reporting three explosions in Yemen’s capital.

Looks like the FO phase of FAFO is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Personally, I thought the director might've done that just to show the audience how self-absorbed that Captain was... without realizing that waiting on an officer who had no regard for an enlisted man's time was an almost daily occurrence in uniform
    We once had a change of command at NAS Saufley Field in Pensacola. Probably around 1968. It was in July. The temp was about 95° and the humidity about the same. The entire command formed up on the parade ground and stood at parade rest for 45 minutes. During that time several sailors collapsed from heat prostration or maybe heat stroke. Corpsmen carried them away. One good thing however. They had us form up so the meat wagons could just drive through the ranks. The entire ordeal took about 90 minutes and the new CO was appropriately installed after he reviewed the troops.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A "massive raid" that hit 12 sites? That sounds more like just enough raid for the politicians to thump their chests, but not enough to make the bad guys blink.
    Maybe Robert McNamera snuck back into the Pentagon while SecDef Austin was out sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    We once had a change of command at NAS Saufley Field in Pensacola. Probably around 1968. It was in July. The temp was about 95° and the humidity about the same. The entire command formed up on the parade ground and stood at parade rest for 45 minutes. During that time several sailors collapsed from heat prostration or maybe heat stroke. Corpsmen carried them away. One good thing however. They had us form up so the meat wagons could just drive through the ranks. The entire ordeal took about 90 minutes and the new CO was appropriately installed after he reviewed the troops.
    That's called 'open ranks' in the Drill and Ceremonies manuals, not 'stand in rows far enough apart so the ambulances can get to you.'
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Ugh.. I've been there! Worst I experienced was a Brigade formation done after a Brigade 'fun run' 10k that started at 0600 at Ft Lee, VA. Which meant every unit was out there by 0445 or so because heaven help you if you're late for the full bird's fun run. That 10k was done just in time for it to get hot and muggy as hell because it was early August. COL decided to have us form up and get on a soap box AFTER the fun run, and took about 15-20mins to get the Brigade formation sorted out, another 45 mins to ramble about PT and award a few fitness badges and coins to a few Brigade PT studs. We had about a dozen joes fall out, and that was only the ones I noticed. Probably double that actually happened. No ambulances, though, just annoyed platoon sergeants and 1SG's that hauled them to the back of the formation to take a knee and drink water.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    That's called 'open ranks' in the Drill and Ceremonies manuals, not 'stand in rows far enough apart so the ambulances can get to you.'
    Depends on the size of the formation and the composition of that formation, but most BN/higher dog and pony show formations I've suffered through were done at standard interval. Open ranks was only commanded by the respective Company Commander or each Platoon Leader (depending on how fancy and responsive we needed to be) as the inspecting senior officer proceeded into that company element. In which case of course the first rank took two 40in steps forward, the second a single step, and the fourth rank two 20in steps backward, as to provide the inspecting leadership space to walk between squad ranks.

Intervals between Platoon and Company size elements were usually 6-10 40in steps apart depending on how the formation NCOIC had folks form up or march us into place. Or in other words, ample space for a vehicle to pass if needed.

Long way of saying that Open Ranks doesn't magically put elements far enough for a vehicle to drive through, but most big dog and pony show formations are done with intervals that large between platoon/company level elements regardless of if it's close interval, wide interval, or otherwise.

Just thinking about all of that makes me REALLY not miss being a Platoon Sergeant. Lol
    Last edited by JRB; 01-11-2024 at 10:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    A "massive raid" that hit 12 sites? That sounds more like just enough raid for the politicians to thump their chests, but not enough to make the bad guys blink.
    Maybe Robert McNamera snuck back into the Pentagon while SecDef Austin was out sick.
    Considering the international political climate, and the number of people who got all whiny about Israel's response to the horrific events of 7 Oct, it's not surprising that we're seeing a lot of restraint. Some people just kneejerk to "America/West BAD!!" no matter what the action or reaction- unless the action is to apologize and send lots of money.

I don't agree with it (the full LeMay would be a better option here), but I'm not surprised.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Considering the international political climate, and the number of people who got all whiny about Israel's response to the horrific events of 7 Oct, it's not surprising that we're seeing a lot of restraint. Some people just kneejerk to "America/West BAD!!" no matter what the action or reaction- unless the action is to apologize and send lots of money.

I don't agree with it (the full LeMay would be a better option here), but I'm not surprised.
    For sure. "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."

Found multiple stories with a quick search...

https://www.reuters.com/world/anti-w...en-2024-01-12/

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/metro/...ants-in-yemen/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ks/ar-AA1mQBJ7

-Rainman

User Tag List