Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AP reporting US ship attacked

Things are definitely getting sporty in the area:

https://news.usni.org/2023/12/03/car...nes-in-red-sea

This is my favorite site for naval matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ^^^this. Let’s go.
    In instances like this where we don't proceed with what seems to be the obvious course of action (say, Operation Praying Mantis II), it makes me think about the reasons we might not be doing that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In instances like this where we don't proceed with what seems to be the obvious course of action (say, Operation Praying Mantis II), it makes me think about the reasons we might not be doing that.
    When thinking of reasons, my first thought is that the Biden administration is weak and indecisive.
    But I suspect you’re hinting at something more thoughtful and geopolitical.
    Care to elaborate?

Me too. And I can't wait to find out why. (Though I imagine most of them are classified, as they rightfully should be...if in fact they exist.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    When thinking of reasons, my first thought is that the Biden administration is weak and indecisive.
    But I suspect you’re hinting at something more thoughtful and geopolitical.
    Care to elaborate?
    I wish I was this optimistic.
    #RESIST

There's always reasons not to. We've seen enough evidence over the past few years that the trend is risk and conflict aversion. My daughter turns five soon and as I've watched her grow up, I've gained a respect for everyone who deployed to combat with young kids that I could never have understood previously, so I am heavily in favor of not jumping into any war, much less WWIII. But, appeasement set the stage for WWII, not smacking countries and non-state actors when they disrupt the established international order. If we don't do it, someone else will and as we've consistently faltered, it seems that we're losing countries that would prefer it to be us.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I wonder if the restrained US response is to project the sense the fighting isn't destined to become a wider regional war. If "another country" starts bombing things in "another country", that's sort of officially a regional conflict.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I wonder if the restrained US response is to project the sense the fighting isn't destined to become a wider regional war. If "another country" starts bombing things in "another country", that's sort of officially a regional conflict.
    There are two CSGs, an ARG, and a separate command ship in the region. Most (if not all) of that was moved in after the war started to deter it from spreading into a regional conflict. We even made a big deal about surfacing a nuke sub as it sailed into the region. At the very least, strikes into Israel have occurred numerous times from Yemen and Lebanon, so even without this maritime aspect, this has gone beyond Israel and Gaza and is a regional conflict. Our bluff is being called over and over again.

This isn't really my area but getting real-world data on anti-ship ballistic missiles (and presumably-warheaded-UAVs/cruise missiles) might be worth the cost of admission.

The Obama people are running this administration and Joe is a puddinghead. That's why we are not responding correctly. Just like no Trump 4D chess, the Biden administration is a bunch of clowns that are Iranophiles. That's why.

User Tag List