Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock Gen5 G29 and G30 to be released soon!

Reviewer of the Tools
    I haven't personally owned a .45 ACP handgun for about seven years now. However I have carried a Gen 4 Glock 21 at work for the last ten years. I am well stocked with G21 magazines, holsters, and other accessories.

Our agency is making the transition to 9mm Glocks within the next few months. This is an astounding feat for us and I am still shocked that it is happening. The rumor mill is that to personally purchase a department G21 will cost in the ballpark of $450. If you want your individual duty weapon there will be an additional charge pushing the price over $500. The hell with that...

My G21 is my first duty weapon and I always thought I would want to own it. But the Gen 4 platform just isn't that great. I hate the finger grooves and the slide stop design. But my G21 has been a super accurate and reliable workhorse.

The Gen 5 G30 seems way more attractive and practical. I am very excited to get my hands on one and try it out. Especially now that it would serve as a concealed carry piece instead of a duty gun. Probably will end up being cheaper in the end too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I haven't personally owned a .45 ACP handgun for about seven years now. However I have carried a Gen 4 Glock 21 at work for the last ten years. I am well stocked with G21 magazines, holsters, and other accessories.

Our agency is making the transition to 9mm Glocks within the next few months. This is an astounding feat for us and I am still shocked that it is happening. The rumor mill is that to personally purchase a department G21 will cost in the ballpark of $450. If you want your individual duty weapon there will be an additional charge pushing the price over $500. The hell with that...

My G21 is my first duty weapon and I always thought I would want to own it. But the Gen 4 platform just isn't that great. I hate the finger grooves and the slide stop design. But my G21 has been a super accurate and reliable workhorse.

The Gen 5 G30 seems way more attractive and practical. I am very excited to get my hands on one and try it out. Especially now that it would serve as a concealed carry piece instead of a duty gun. Probably will end up being cheaper in the end too.
    Wow… that seems seriously messed up to me. I get the whole 9mm thing but we all know damn well the department didn’t pay $450 for those guns. To charge over $500 to buy the gun carried for most of a decade is flat out wrong. I want to say so much more but I’ll leave it at that.

Are there any police departments or SO’s that aren’t switching from .45 to 9mm? I feel like in certain applications the heavier rounds might have some advantages.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Wow… that seems seriously messed up to me. I get the whole 9mm thing but we all know damn well the department didn’t pay $450 for those guns. To charge over $500 to buy the gun carried for most of a decade is flat out wrong. I want to say so much more but I’ll leave it at that.
    This is not the PD coming up with those numbers. I believe it is part of the trade in/resale deal with the new guns. We would technically be buying them from a distributor or wholesale outfit that would buy the lot. The town won't sell them to us directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    This is not the PD coming up with those numbers. I believe it is part of the trade in/resale deal with the new guns. We would technically be buying them from a distributor or wholesale outfit that would buy the lot. The town won't sell them to us directly.
    That makes sense. I was at a fortunate time being able to buy my academy-issued Beretta 92FS (I think it was $370) in mid 2013 when the department was switching to the M&P, then a department Ithaca 37 (it was less than $200) later that year. Later I turned in my issues M&P and was issued a Beretta 92FS Compact L- Type M, which I was able to buy when I retired for around $400 - since they had to charge tax.

The county board of stuporvisors passed an ordinance and starting after March the department will no longer be able to sell old guns to anyone except service pistols to retirees and surviving spouses. Everything else gets destroyed.

I look forward to putting my hands on a Gen5 G30 or G29. The Gen3 Short Frame G29/G30 set a Gold Standard for fitting my left hand, with the Gen4 being a less-good fit. I have one of each G30 generation. (Interestingly, the Gen4 G30 fits my right hand better than my left hand, but that is largely academic, because I do not generally shoot small Glocks right-handed; short-gripped guns are too rough on my “less-gracefully-aging” right hand…)

This does not mean I would, necessarily, be in line to buy a Gen5 Big Bore Baby, because 9mm seems so much more practical, when barrels get really short.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

It looks like various online retailers have the Glock 30 Gen 5 in stock. Weirdly enough, some have "email for price" like this one, to get around MAP stuff: https://lockedloaded.com/product/glo...45-g5-3.78-10r

I will likely be picking one up soon. I'm going to check at work today to see if we can get one, but usually it takes longer for little shops like us to be able to get a hold of them. Interesting that MAP is $539 but apparently it's being sold lower.

EDIT: LockedAndLoaded's email quote was for $487.83
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-31-2024 at 08:09 AM.

User Tag List