Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Arms moving to Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    and are adding a new inexperienced low-cost labor force.
    This is the crux of it. There are plenty of experienced everything-you-can-think-of in the South. Engineering, manufacturing, doesn't matter. But the whole reason for the move was to cut costs so they don't want to pay for them. Hence, shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    This is the crux of it. There are plenty of experienced everything-you-can-think-of in the South. Engineering, manufacturing, doesn't matter. But the whole reason for the move was to cut costs so they don't want to pay for them. Hence, shitshow.
    In this case it's the refusal to use technology that is biting them. If you want to reduce cost you need to use modern tech and automation. They want to stay with the old ways but use cheap labor... Ain't gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    They want to stay with the old ways but use cheap labor...
    Most of these states are a lower CoL state than MA so the Remingtons/S&Ws/Kimbers/Marlins/etc actually could save some money on labor... but we all know that's never good enough. The people running the show want dirt cheap. As close to the optimum labor cost ($0) as possible. They're going to get it, and everything that goes with it.

edit: also, apropos of nothing, as someone native to the region and who was "cheap labor" 30 years ago being called "cheap labor" did not get you, shall we say, maximum effort. I have to assume that policy has continued in my absence.
    Last edited by jh9; 12-03-2023 at 12:21 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    They talk a hot shit game of politics but you can be almost guaranteed it's about cost. They're going to be paying a lot less than they are in Mass. Like a lot of people fixated on pennies, they aren't going to be looking to break even on CoL. They want to get people as cheap as possible. I expect that to be reflected in the product. People used to "you can buy an M&P and it will just work" need to take a look at modern S&W revolver for the kit guns they're probably going to start getting.

Maybe just me being cynical. Time will tell.

edit: not me trying to take a shit on Tennessee. I know Troy is in AL and Marlin is in NC. Post is more about gun companies relocating to the South in general.
    I have heard stories that there are airlines that have quietly told Boeing that they will not accept 787s that come out of the SC plant because of some fairly serious QC issues.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have heard stories that there are airlines that have quietly told Boeing that they will not accept 787s that come out of the SC plant because of some fairly serious QC issues.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Meanwhile, AFAIK, Toyota hasn't had any problems out of their Alabama plant.

You get what you pay for.

I took a tour of the Remington plant a few years ago. The first part of the plant had new CNC and hammer forging machines. The rest of the plant and machines looked to be a hundred years old or older. With the cost of modernizing that needed to take place, they probably figured they may as well do it someplace else.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    With the cost of modernizing that needed to take place, they probably figured they may as well do it someplace else.
    Several people have told me that is the reason Colt has stayed put under their various ownership changes, that the newer plant is very well automated.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Boeing couldn't compete with Airbus and the subsidies they got from the European governments. Union contracts were another problem for Boeing. To stay in the commercial airline business they had to move some production to a right-to-work state.

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-off...n-award-airbus

My guess is it the same for a gun manufacturer. trying to cut costs.

I purchased a remington shotgun (11-87 Premier) built around 1990 last summer. So far I've completely stripped it, cleaned it and run 500 rounds through it. I'm impressed at the high quality and reliability. I doubt Remington can ever duplicate a shotgun like that ever again. The cost would probably be 2k and nobody is going to pay that for a Remington shotgun. My guess is they'll be the new Mossberg living on the Remington brand.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The rest of the plant and machines looked to be a hundred years old or older.
    I remember forawrding a link to one of the ammo factory tours (ATK?...) to one of my friends in the assembly automation business. I thought it was kinda neat, watching the ammo get made. My friend the SME says
    Holy Shit, the newest machine in there is fifty years old!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Several people have told me that is the reason Colt has stayed put under their various ownership changes, that the newer plant is very well automated.
    Last time I was there, I had the impression that they were pumping out a high volume of M4’s. I was going in to drop off a gun for the custom shop, and had to go through airport security, and was like “you know it’s a gun, right? I’m bringing a gun to the gun factory? For Gunsmithing?” They kind of laughed and indicated that they were concerned about guns walking out, not in.

User Tag List