Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Arms moving to Georgia.

Remington Arms moving to Georgia.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Ilion loses 207-year-old Remington Arms factory to Georgia

https://www.timesunion.com/business/...y-18527443.php
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Good for them. Hope it works out well.

Anyone seen the new 700's?

Curious if they got the quality back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Good for them. Hope it works out well.

Anyone seen the new 700's?

Curious if they got the quality back up.
    I have not seen the 700's yet, but the 870's seem to be good to go.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Good for Georgia!
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Should probably ask the folks in Huntsville about Remington.

We’re doing our best to drive all business out of the northeast, we’re just doing best with theoretically republican businesses. It’s very exciting to watch. (It is not.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

Should probably ask the folks in Huntsville about Remington.
    Did they close down in Huntsville? I saw one cryptic Facebook post from an old college friend who worked there but I never followed up on it. Regardless, the company has changed hands since then. Hopefully it'll be run better now.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Did they close down in Huntsville?
    https://www.al.com/news/2020/09/remi...lle-plant.html
    https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2...-new-life.html

There was a bit of drama with the city. Honestly the first guns that came out looked like they were done in a high school machine shop, but the later ones looked much better. The move was cost-centric like most of them are. I know people were chomping at the bit to begin with and that enthusiasm did not survive first contact with reality. What I remember hearing at the time was that (maybe just initially) what they were offering compensation-wise was very unimpressive.

Regardless, the company has changed hands since then. Hopefully it'll be run better now.
    So far I think only Beretta's move to Tennessee has been the only one that hasn't been at least a short-term disaster? I don't know what Kimber's situation in Troy is.

Marlin still isn't making 1894s. Anyone that wants an M&P should probably get one (or more) before they set up shop in Maryville. They talk a hot shit game of politics but you can be almost guaranteed it's about cost. They're going to be paying a lot less than they are in Mass. Like a lot of people fixated on pennies, they aren't going to be looking to break even on CoL. They want to get people as cheap as possible. I expect that to be reflected in the product. People used to "you can buy an M&P and it will just work" need to take a look at modern S&W revolver for the kit guns they're probably going to start getting.

Maybe just me being cynical. Time will tell.

edit: not me trying to take a shit on Tennessee. I know Troy is in AL and Marlin is in NC. Post is more about gun companies relocating to the South in general.
    Last edited by jh9; 12-03-2023 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Did they close down in Huntsville? I saw one cryptic Facebook post from an old college friend who worked there but I never followed up on it. Regardless, the company has changed hands since then. Hopefully it'll be run better now.
    The deal with the Huntsville stipulated Remington had to create (I believe) 500 jobs. The number was less than 40% of that. When bankruptcy was declared, the plant was already shutdown and the tooling was moved by creditors.

A shooting buddy worked there for a while. There was a lot of trouble getting manufacturing up and running, and the management were not gun people. Beretta had some teething issues at Gallatin but seems to have resolved them. Of course, Beretta is privately held by people who have been making firearms for half a millennia.

I sure hope it goes better for Kimber and S&W than it did for Remington.

RE shit show of moving manufacturing to the south:

I'm familiar with one manufacturer who has relocated to he south from NE. It is indeed a recipe for disaster because they have not shed the baggage of their old ways and are adding a new inexperienced low-cost labor force.

They utterly refuse to invest in modern equipment and techniques for manufacturing and QA. They think they can do it the old way with a few old timers and a new green labor force.

User Tag List