Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the panic buying begin...

Gun rights are no longer a partisan issue since public positions have changed over the past 10 years.
    - 46% of Democrats strongly support the right to get a concealed carry permint;
    - 72% of Democrats support the right to get a concealed carry permit;
    - 47% of Republicans think there should be more gun regulations;
    - 59% of Democrats support the right to use deadly force to defend yourself in public places;
    - 94% of Republicans support background checks for purchase of firearms.
    Source: http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=11545

Based on these public positions it just doesn't make sense for Obama to start a fight over guns. Obama doesn't have a fight with the gun lobby on his agenda. He is more interested in cementing ObamaCare, regulating Wall Street (Which I happen to agree with), and helping to insure Democratic votes in the future by helping the middle class, as well as creating his legacy. Taking on a fight with the gun lobbies is not something that helps him. Unless he is forced into it by a major event, he will stay out of it. Besides, Congress is not in the mood to pass gun regulation, either. I am not worried about it.

Rather than focusing on National issues, the States and Local laws are the ones that we need to reform...they have a much bigger impact on our freedom of movement and freedom to carry.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I'm seeing ammo prices jump as much as $10 per 50 rd box of 9mm--overnight.
    I don't see it.
    http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger

CC

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    http://www.bulkammo.com/1000-rounds-...pmc-55gr-fmjbt

I bought one of these cases about 6 weeks ago. There were 45 cases then. There were 37 cases last night. There are no cases now. It will take prices some time to go up but the buying has ensued.

I was going to buy some anyways, just doubled up on my order on aguila 124g from Sgammo. Looks like thy have sold about 30 cases of it in the past 3 or so hours.

I'd be interested to hear from some of our members with contacts inside the industry on how things will play out this time around. It seemed to me that last time the industry was caught relatively flat-footed, leading to a lot of opportunistic profiteering by dealers and speculators. I would imagine this time, with the precedent set and four years to prepare, big players like Freedom Group have well-laid plans to maximize profits during the scare, and have invested accordingly. I expect the big guys with the capital to prepare will make a killing, while smaller businesses in the industry will be hurt by the boom-bust cycle. As a consumer, that means I expect prices on things like ammo and components to rise, but not to experience the outright shortages we had last time around. On the other hand, guns and products from boutique builders are likely to be scarce and expensive. However, this is an outsider's perspective, and I'd like to get some inside opinions.

Exactly why I get one of every caliber in my platform

It would not shock me to see some fat wallet companies having ample stock of things suddenly but on the other hand who in their right mind would sit on product when it was selling anyway?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    The big ammo companies have already been operating at capacity. They're fearful of increasing capacity further because the mid- and long-term future is so uncertain.

It took me six months to get an order for 115,000 rounds of 9mm fulfilled directly from ATK. They're not sitting on anything that they can sell today.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The big ammo companies have already been operating at capacity. They're fearful of increasing capacity further because the mid- and long-term future is so uncertain.

It took me six months to get an order for 115,000 rounds of 9mm fulfilled directly from ATK. They're not sitting on anything that they can sell today.
    Interesting, thanks. Any idea on how well foreign manufacturers are poised to pick up the slack? Obviously imports are much more vulnerable to executive-branch shennanigans than domestic production, but hopefully that won't come in to play, at least not immediately.

We are diminished
    I don't really follow it because I don't use it. But I'd guess they're no better prepared than they were five years ago.

I don't think we'll see the same level of panic buying unless BHO starts making real noise about another AWB or some other anti-gun legislation/regulation.

User Tag List