Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: sleeping pads for camping

Site Supporter

RFI: sleeping pads for camping

Hey all,

I camped fairly regularly in my youth, and a less so as an adult. I've always been fine with some basic foam pads for sleeping, but my wife is not. In an effort to make things easier on her and mitigate her chagrine when I and/or the kids want to camp for a weekend, I'm thinking of dropping some coin for a really good sleeping pad. The main catch is she really does not like air mattresses.

Are there any recommendations for sleeping pads that are not air mattresses but still provide a good amount of cushion and support? I've seen memory foam camp mattresses advertised. Any experience? I also know there are self-inflating mattresses that are a combination of foam and air. Do those feel like a traditional air mattress? I guess cots are another option. This is all going to be car camping, so weight isn't really a concern. Space could be if it's really huge, but something really good would likely be worth the space.

The luxurious mat from Wiggy's is great in my experience. My wife and I have been using them for years, and they're tough as hell. Bulky but tough.

Site Supporter
    For car camping I've been very pleased with my Thermarest Luxurymap. It's gotten a LOT of use.

Depending on your space limitations you will pay a lot less for a memory foam mattress topper from a big box store that you just lash up tightly. You'll need space to air it out after outings. They can absorb a lot of rocks. You can pay a lot more money for the same thing with a durable cover that says it's camping equipment, but cushion is cushion.

I’ve found cots a lot more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, even with a basic level Thermarest. In winter I’d put a piece of Reflectix on the cot first, then the Thermarest.

If you're loading a car or a camper, almost anything home-like would work. Decent cot, foam pad, etc.

If you're backpacking or carrying it in, that's a deeper dive.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I know you said air is out of the running, but I have found the newer self inflating thick foam sleeping pads to be totally amazing as far as comfort for vehicle camping. They have a cot size version too. Not noisy or air mattress like much at all.

IE:

LOSTHORIZON Airsoft 4.5” Thick Self Inflating Sleeping Pad with Solid Foam, Camping Mattress with Pump Sack, Portable Roll Up Bed, Inflatable Outdoor Mat for Rooftop Tent Car Truck Van, 4 Season https://a.co/d/0MlmgTQ

I have the cot size with the deflator pump and just bought the twin size for my wife for this Christmas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I know you said air is out of the running, but I have found the newer self inflating thick foam sleeping pads to be totally amazing as far as comfort for vehicle camping. They have a cot size version too. Not noisy or air mattress like much at all.

IE:

LOSTHORIZON Airsoft 4.5” Thick Self Inflating Sleeping Pad with Solid Foam, Camping Mattress with Pump Sack, Portable Roll Up Bed, Inflatable Outdoor Mat for Rooftop Tent Car Truck Van, 4 Season https://a.co/d/0MlmgTQ

I have the cot size with the deflator pump and just bought the twin size for my wife for this Christmas.
    Thanks, I was curious about this. I've seen these and hoped that the foam would add some useful structure to an air mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    We are about to take delivery of a new Transit Connect little cargo van, and one of these might be handy...

Site Supporter
    Most of my experience is backpacking. If you are looking for a comfortable foam sleeping pad, you’re not going to find much and they’ll get big for even car camping. I think we as gun owners are supposed to hate REI but they usually have most of their pads set up ready to be sampled. You folks can educate if Cabelas or Bass Pro is the same.

There are great larger pads by thermarest and others made for car camping 3+ inches thick and 30 inches wide.

For my rolls on wildland fire, I think more and more about a cot than the ground but that is more due to my lack of mobility in my hips and back where ground to standing is harder and harder.

User Tag List