Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.5" to 14.5" barrel 5.56 vs 300 BLK?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My go-to AR is 11.5” suppressed. If I need to shoot significantly past 300yds, I have a 18” 5.56 and a 16” 6.5G.

But, for a PDW role (handy truck gun, etc), my 7.5” 300BLK unsuppressed is hard to beat for size and capability. Don’t have any interest in 300blk otherwise.

I like 14.5” 5.56 mid length a lot for a do-all AR.
    Are you using your 7.5" BLK on coyotes or any other critters? If so curious what load & performance your seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you want 45-70 ballistics in a semi auto, there's a variety of big bore cartridges available for the AR-15.

Whether you personally want 45-70 performance in an AR-15 is up to you as an individual, but they're not 5.56 and they have a purpose for existing.
    I'll give you the 375 to 45 caliber options have uses well beyond 5.56 but that's outside the box I was thinking of in this case. Partly because I've never considered any of those calibers in anything shorter than 16" barrel, but perhaps some of them perform well in sub 16" barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Are you using your 7.5" BLK on coyotes or any other critters? If so curious what load & performance your seeing?
    I use my 18" 5.56 with a thermal for coyote hunting, but I'm confident that a Barnes 110gr Tac-Tx would do the job.

@Cdub_NW has shot a lot of 'yotes with 5.56, and I think he shot at least one jackrabbit with his 300BLK 5.5" Rattler.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use my 18" 5.56 with a thermal for coyote hunting, but I'm confident that a Barnes 110gr Tac-Tx would do the job.

@Cdub_NW has shot a lot of 'yotes with 5.56, and I think he shot at least one jackrabbit with his 300BLK 5.5" Rattler.
    Correct on all points. Lots of yotes with 556 out of a 16" barrel w/thermal. Mainly 53gr V-Max running about 3050fps, only had two yotes not drop where they stood, both were due to bad shot placement by the operator (dare I say I pulled the shot... but I pulled the shot). Put down a few more with 75gr A-Max 556 out of a 26" bolt gun, that was pretty impressive. All of my shots have been over 100 yards and the longest we have dropped one so far was at about 435 under thermal.

**Added** Sorry, forgot to discuss the SBR lengths specifically. I have dropped two yotes in the yard (118 and 128 yards) with a 10.5" 77gr Hornady loads, and one so far with the 14.5" with 77gr OTMs. I would have zero concerns using either. The 14.5" would easily handle the task out to 400 with confidence but I would hesitate with my 10.5" only because it's setup with a red dot and gauging drop at distance would be risky in my opinion. Hopefully all those counts go up in the near future as I have seen a lot of new activity on my cameras lately so I am guessing it will be a busy winter on the farm.

As for the 300blk. Yes a half dozen jack rabbits with the 5.5" rattler with fantastic results. All were under 50 yards but its devastating to say the least. Personally for yotes I would prefer the faster/flatter cartridge compared to the weight of the 30cal. Things happen so quickly that not being able to get the exact range is common, having more forgiveness in drop can be the difference.

Unless there is a specific need to be ultra quiet and subsonic, I would opt for the 556 every time over the 300blk. AND if the distances were over 100 yards.
    Last edited by Cdub_NW; 12-13-2023 at 07:44 PM.

I'll give you the 375 to 45 caliber options have uses well beyond 5.56 but that's outside the box I was thinking of in this case. Partly because I've never considered any of those calibers in anything shorter than 16" barrel, but perhaps some of them perform well in sub 16" barrels?
    The .458 SOCOM is specifically purposed for 10"-16" barrels. That's the only one I've had a passing interest in, I'm not sure about the other Thumpers in SBRs.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    **Added** Sorry, forgot to discuss the SBR lengths specifically. I have dropped two yotes in the yard (118 and 128 yards) with a 10.5" 77gr Hornady loads, and one so far with the 14.5" with 77gr OTMs. I would have zero concerns using either. The 14.5" would easily handle the task out to 400 with confidence but I would hesitate with my 10.5" only because it's setup with a red dot and gauging drop at distance would be risky in my opinion. Hopefully all those counts go up in the near future as I have seen a lot of new activity on my cameras lately so I am guessing it will be a busy winter on the farm.
    Thank you for the data points.

Do you tend to choose heavier (75-77 gr) for the shorter barrels? If so, what drives that decision?
    Or was it just what you were using that day?

I ask because I’ve tended to view the heavier (longer) bullets aa optimized for long-range precision. If you’re choosing them for shorter ranges (+/-100 yds) out of a 10.5”, I want to know what advantages I haven’t been aware of.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-13-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Thank you for the data points.

Do you tend to choose heavier (75-77 gr) for the shorter barrels? If so, what drives that decision?
    Or was it just what you were using that day?

I ask because I’ve tended to view the heavier (longer) bullets at optimized for long-range precision. If you’re choosing them for shorter ranges (+/-100 yds) out of a 10.5”, I want to know what advantages I haven’t been aware of.
    Yes generally I go heavier with the longer barrels and longer intended ranges. That being said, for the short SBRs I normally run the Hornady 75gr SBR specific rounds. I am concerned with over penetration and or the round not expanding at the lower velocity so I (whenever possible) use the loads designed for shorter barrels.

But.. my most recent coyote was a run in encounter and all I had with my was my 14.5” with 55gr fmj range ammo…. Ripped the yote open easily but it did pass through with enough energy to hit one of my 3” aluminum irrigation hard lines through and through 20 yards behind the yote… take that for what it is. I don’t think I hit any major bone as the shot was about 3” too far back. For the 14.5” setup I always run 77gr otm or similar. That rifle has a 1-6x or 1-10x optic on it and can reach out if needed.

I’ve switch my main SBRs to 12” barrels recently but will continue to run the 75gr SBR loads until I find something better.
    Last edited by Cdub_NW; 12-13-2023 at 09:31 PM.

I'm currently hunting hog down here in Florida with a 5.5 inch 300 blackout rattler.

I'm running 110 grain AAC vmax loads through the gun. Zero issues.

I'll have some chrono numbers for this load and my barrel next week.

User Tag List