Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Post, USP .45 vs Glock 20 Gen 5

Site Supporter
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I can’t thank everyone enough for the thoughtful, helpful replies.

After doing some soul-searching (and after spotting a used, local USP .45 for $700 OTD), I’m the proud owner of my first H&K! The comments about the Glock 21 were very interesting — I used to have one and it was accurate, soft-shooting, and phenomenally reliable. It’s something I hadn’t considered.

What it came down to for me was out of the box reliability (I think that’s a wash between the 21 and the USP, but the 20 unfortunately falls behind on reliability without some tuning) and the ability to run hot loads (which fhe 21 falls behind on). For a general field gun, the 21 is an awesome choice, but I do get up to Yellowstone/Montana/Idaho at least once per winter, so I wanted something that I felt like would match 10mm’s power for brown bears and bigger moose.

Thanks again to everyone — you all are a genuine wealth of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Have you considered a Gen 5 Glock 21?

There are some rather potent loads available that will likely do what needs done, as far as semi auto loads. Plus I don't think many (most) know this, if you really, really want a 10mm later on, you can simply buy a drop in conversion barrel for your G21. While you can do that with a G21, you cannot go the other way, buying a G21 barrel and dropping it into a G20. That is unless you buy a whole top end.

Back to the Glock 21. Just FYI, I own a Gen 5 G20, Gen 3 G21 and an HK USP 45.

If you have been here for a while and reading, then you are likely aware that I have a small ammo company, so the loads that I refer to are ones that I produce. That should be said for full disclosure.

Anyways, between the 10mm and the .45, my personal favorite has long been the 45 ACP +P 250 grain hard cast Flat Point at 925 FPS. That heavy bullet penetrates deep and straight. It is also easy to shoot well for most people, and I very much like it in the polymer framed guns, such as the G21 and HK USP.

Either with a standard 13 round mag, or a +4 baseplate, you can end up with a pretty decent payload of heavy bullets. I like the 10mm, and carry it, but not nearly as much. In fact I carry my G22 more, due to a specific load that is exceptional in that gun.

Anyways, I would not rule out the Glock 21 .45 ACP in your decision making. Both the HK USP and Glock 20 are fine guns, but the G21 is a gun that simply does not get the attention it deserves due to the general public's lack of knowledge about heavy .45 ACP loads and their terminal ballistics.

FWIW, this specific load looks phenomenal. It would be a great choice for me in UT, and it seems like it’s probably hot enough to take with me further north. I also really appreciate the 100 round quantity — some for testing and some for carry without breaking the bank. I like the options I get with the USP, but you will likely see an order from me soon!

There are several good choices mentioned above. Think through those options and whatever good information follows, and then it's a matter of deciding what works best for you.

I'm mostly carrying a USP45 in the backcountry, that's driven in part by reliability and the fact that USP's are easy for me to shoot well, they fit my hands well. I'm also limited to 10 rounds in California, so higher capacity is a moot point for me at least for the near future. Finally, I load 9mm, 38/357, and 45 and have no particular desire to add additional calibers at this time; and I'm not as tolerant of heavy recoil as I was in my younger years. All those things factor in.

I have started shooting Glock's again, largely because it's a lot easier and less expensive to mount an optic than it is on an HK; Basically I can mill two or three Glocks for what one HK would cost. Gen 5's and anything MOS are still off roster here, although recent court decisions are offering hope. So you have more choices than I do. If I had those same choices, my decision might very possibly be re-evaluated. Being effectively limited to gen 3, I decided to go with the HK which runs out of the box, and that would likely be true of a G21 also.

Have you handled yet to see what best fits your hands? They're both large and blocky but the ergonomics are a little different. The triggers are also different.

I personally would take the USP 45 and load it with .45 Super. I have USP 45's and Glock 21's (no G20) and I like both, but for heavy +P outdoor loads I think the USP is the better choice over a G20.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I personally would take the USP 45 and load it with .45 Super. I have USP 45's and Glock 21's (no G20) and I like both, but for heavy +P outdoor loads I think the USP is the better choice over a G20.
    I'm in this camp. I used to own both and for something that rivals/equals 10mm, 45 Super or 450 SMC is the way to go. The USP handles it out of the box vs the 21 which requires some parts (RSA, possible a buffer, etc) to run the same loads. Now even with the parts for 45 Super, the Glock 21 will still be a handful with hot loads but its cheaper. The USP handles the recoil much better and is a much smoother shooting experience, but you do pay $$$ for it.

Now I sold the 21 to fund my USP Expert. I love my USP but the Gen 4 21 I owned had a SWEET Canik-like trigger (stock no less) and I regret selling it. Should've kept both but in the end, the USP is worth the investment IMO.
    Last edited by coN; 12-02-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Have you considered a Gen 5 Glock 21?

Sorry for the OT reply, but LR - what sights do you have on your G21, here?

Also, does the G21 require changing the RSA or anything else, to shoot your +P 250gr loads?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Sorry for the OT reply, but LR - what sights do you have on your G21, here?

Also, does the G21 require changing the RSA or anything else, to shoot your +P 250gr loads?

Thanks.
    The ammo was designed specifically to run with a factory (fresh) recoil spring assembly. I tend to run a bit heavier spring, 20#s as it smooths down the recoil just a bit and aids in shot to shot recovery time. Makes it pretty easy to really hammer out the big rounds quickly.

The rear sight is an LPA adjustable, the front is a Dawson fiber optic.

There used to be this belief that you should never put adjustable rear sights on guns because they were fragile. My experience with this LPA has shown that it has held up very well in all sorts of environments. Never had any issues with it.

The ammo was designed specifically to run with a factory (fresh) recoil spring assembly. I tend to run a bit heavier spring, 20#s as it smooths down the recoil just a bit and aids in shot to shot recovery time. Makes it pretty easy to really hammer out the big rounds quickly.

The rear sight is an LPA adjustable, the front is a Dawson fiber optic.

There used to be this belief that you should never put adjustable rear sights on guns because they were fragile. My experience with this LPA has shown that it has held up very well in all sorts of environments. Never had any issues with it.

Thanks. I'll take a look at your website for those loads.

User Tag List