Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police Trade 40’s (Dang all this 40 talk at PF)

Site Supporter
    Anybody who knows me knows how deep I am in the Glock ecosystem I am since I started shooting in 1990ish.

I shot a early edition Gen 3 Glock 35 running 165/180 GD and Lawman for 25K (easily) rounds from 2005 thru 2020 I did not have the issues that were reported by guys like Erick G and Chuck H but:
    1. My gun was agency maintained with regular recoil rod changes, using mags with upgraded followers and 11 recoil mag springs.
    2. I had dedicated carry mags and training mags.
    3. I ran a light relatively infrequently.

Knowing everything I know now, if somebody was new to the 40 cal game, I would be saying Gen 5 Glock or M&P all the way given the market support one could have for the respective platforms.

I think that if you are not running a light, and you do as I did above re ammo/spring/mag protocols, a used Gen 3/4 .40 cal Glock is just fine. I would replace all springs and followers, inspect and replace all do dad parts as needed, fit it with a SCD, put six dollops of grease on it ( 4 metal rail points, around the barrel and on the connector) and shoot it.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The Gen4 was an attempt to address some of the concerns...concerns Glock never acknowledged as legitimate because PERFECTION...with the Gen3 guns in .40. Alas, while there was improvement it didn't really solve the problems. One of the reasons why the FBI switched back to 9mm was reliability. Even in Gen4 guise, they still had legions of problems with their .40 caliber Glocks.

I don't care how cheap they're selling Glock .40's, I want nothing to do with them. Echoing what was said above, .40 caliber Glocks were always problems from their inception. In my first formal firearms training class I was at Blackwater with a bunch of security contractors at the Savannah nuclear facility. They had (at the time) brand new Gen3 G22's. By the end of five days they'd had so many pins break and walk and other issues that they were taking turns on guns they'd pieced together to continue in the class. It was fucking wild and everybody on the internet said I was making it up because PERFECTION. Hardly. Come to find out later that DOE contract guns had serious problems with metallurgy in addition to all the breakages I saw. Then the issues with mounted lights started to get traction, but the guns generally beating themselves to death and having issues wasn't confined to just mounted lights. Indiana State Police rather loudly rejected the .40 caliber Glocks they bought and made Glock give them G17's instead.

And the .357 sig Glocks were even worse.

I would much rather have an M&P.

The M&P 2.0 is a very good gun. I'd have no problem with one in 40. In fact, at this point if I had to run a .40 or wanted to the M&P would be at the top of my list. I'd put a manual safety in it and drive on.

I have a pre-Cohen P229 in .40 that I've never fired. If you can find a pre-Cohen Sig in .40, they're excellent pistols. (I don't believe they had the DAK until after Cohen)

I would also have no problem running a S&W 4006. Those guns are tanks.
    Interesting…I was a contractor for a while at another DOE/NNSA site. They had also had gen 3 22s but switched to gen 4 17s by then. And also replaced their aging M4A1s with HK M27s, the oversized USMC rifle squad weapons. You could spend an entire 12-16 hour day un-assing your patrol vehicle with that bad boy if it was a busy day. Should have moved to an 11.5 or 10.3” barrel.

- I regret selling my .40 M&P, wish I would have kept it;
    - You could not pay me enough money to carry either a Gen 3 or Gen 4 .40 cal. And that is from dealing with about 300 of each. My disdain for what that company tried (& in some cases succeeded) doing still impacts my view of anything they make. Grudgingly, I do like their current 9mm offerings.

I'd say forget the P2000 and look into a USP compact, instead. The P2000 has a worse trigger that can't be cleaned up as well and just stays annoying. I've met very few people who prefer a P2000 to a USPc.

And also consider a Beretta PX4 fullsize or compact. Built for the Short & Weak, excellent trigger, a pile of mix&match-able decocker lever options, and seems to contentedly eat just about any ammo like the USP is known for.

I picked up a trade-in G22 Gen4 in July 2022 to have a copy of my issued gun. At the time, GT Distributors was selling them for $329. Now they're down to $289 (and Gen3s are $269). It's... fine. Threw on a Talon Pro grip and a trimmed beavertail backstrap like I have on the company gun. Shooting 165gr PMC Bronze isn't bad, but the issued 165gr Gold Dot is very unpleasant. We aren't authorized WMLs (fed contract security) so that's not an issue. Both the work and personal gun have run 100% over the past year and a half, though I've only got a combined 1,200ish rounds through them.

If we make the rumored switch to 9mm when our contract renews, I'll very likely be ditching that G22 with a quickness, as I can't see myself voluntarily shooting it ever again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I picked up a trade-in G22 Gen4 in July 2022 to have a copy of my issued gun. At the time, GT Distributors was selling them for $329. Now they're down to $289 (and Gen3s are $269). It's... fine. Threw on a Talon Pro grip and a trimmed beavertail backstrap like I have on the company gun. Shooting 165gr PMC Bronze isn't bad, but the issued 165gr Gold Dot is very unpleasant. We aren't authorized WMLs (fed contract security) so that's not an issue. Both the work and personal gun have run 100% over the past year and a half, though I've only got a combined 1,200ish rounds through them.

If we make the rumored switch to 9mm when our contract renews, I'll very likely be ditching that G22 with a quickness, as I can't see myself voluntarily shooting it ever again.
    Conversion barrel for 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Conversion barrel for 9mm?
    Shoot, I didn't even think of that. I already have an iron sighted G17.5, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another spare on hand.

Or try 180 gr, much more pleasant and there's good carry and practice cartridges available at decent prices. Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I wonder if 40 would have had a better run if people has just stuck to the 180grn instead of the Tim Taylor Gimme All The FPS!!!!! loads?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder if 40 would have had a better run if people has just stuck to the 180grn instead of the Tim Taylor Gimme All The FPS!!!!! loads?
    The Binford Splat Master 155? I loved shooting light, fast bullets out of 40s in the old days. My favorite was the 135 Nosler bullet. At least for games, I quickly learned that in real life a good 180 at a decent velocity was the way to go. I also wandered away from 185 gr 45 "Swift" loads in 45 ACP. Geee, the light fast bullets were really cool on water jugs and fruit shoots.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List