Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P SPEC Series M&P

M&P SPEC Series M&P

S&W is coming out with a new model, their metal series with a compensator. Allrighty then.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/2023-spec-series
    Introducing the first ever Spec Series pistol designed from the Smith & Wesson® Performance Center. This limited-edition handgun is designed to be fast and flat shooting. Features like the attached compensator, Performance Center trigger, aggressive grip texture, and 180 grip angle allow the shooter to enhance their accuracy and elevate their performance.

Threaded Barrel with Compensator Attached - With strategic ports, the new compensator designed by Faxon® in partnership with Smith & Wesson®, gives you noticeably less felt recoil, as well as muzzle flip meaning faster follow-up shots and good target acquisition.
    Aggressive Slide Design - Lightening cuts in the slide to decrease weight and improve reliability while being compensated.
    Optimized for Accessories and Performance - Included on the Spec Series is our C.O.R.E.™ system for mounting red dots, and suppressor height sights that are great for co-witnessing or keeping a sight picture with the use of a suppressor.

2023 Spec Series Features

Price
    SKU
    Caliber
    Capacity
    Frame Size
    Barrel Length
    Safety
    State Compliance
    Weight
    Color Finish
    Width
    Length
    Height
    2022 SPEC SERIES M&P® 9 M2.0 COMPACT

$799
    9MM
    COMPACT
    NO THUMB SAFETY
    N/A
    28.5 oz
    BULL SHARK GRAY CERAKOTE
    1.2 in
    8 in
    5 in

Looks awesome. Wonder if they will sell the comp setup separately at some point (or if faxon will).

Interesting that they include a Legionesque challenge coin and then went a step further to add a knife that looks like it came out of a Bud K catalog. Did they finally fix the full size 9mm M&P accuracy problems? My early M2.0 4.25" barrel version was terrible.

When is the last time you looked at a new S&W product and thought that looks really good and they hit it out of the park with this design. No doubt this is going to be tearing up USPSA Open division and setting a new bar for the EDC market.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Looks awesome. Wonder if they will sell the comp setup separately at some point (or if faxon will).
    The comp appears to just be a slightly visually modified Faxon EXOS-514, which was released back in late-ish 2021, IIRC.

Sorry, but that comp looks terrible on there, like a big red clown nose. I'm speaking directly about the comp to slide interface and how fucking aftermarket the transition looks.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Sorry, but that comp looks terrible on there, like a big red clown nose. I'm speaking directly about the comp to slide interface and how fucking aftermarket the transition looks.
    Agreed. Looks like shit.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Did they finally fix the full size 9mm M&P accuracy problems? My early M2.0 4.25" barrel version was terrible.
    With my sample of two 4.25", it's nowhere as bad as the 1.0's I had. The issue seemed only to affect the 4.25" models IIRC both my 1.0's were 5 - 6 inches benched at 25 yards with various ammo.

The 2.0's were 3 - 3.5 inch groups benched at 25 yards. It seemed to favor 124 grain projectiles. With Apex barrels, the semi-fit for me groups at 1.5 - 1.75, the gunsmith fit does a little over a inch for me. I'm sure a better shooter could shrink those groups with the Apex barrels .

I would say the accuracy is more or less fixed, but out of the box it can't match a Glock Gen 5. (in my hands) Apex changes that.
    Last edited by coN; 11-28-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Boy, that is Ugly with a capital UGH.
    But it fits the IDPA Box and will enter ESP or CO.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by coN View Post
    With my sample of two 4.25", it's nowhere as bad as the 1.0's I had. The issue seemed only to affect the 4.25" models IIRC both my 1.0's were 5 - 6 inches benched at 25 yards with various ammo.

The 2.0's were 3 - 3.5 inch groups benched at 25 yards. It seemed to favor 124 grain projectiles. With Apex barrels, the semi-fit for me groups at 1.5 - 1.75, the gunsmith fit does a little over a inch for me. I'm sure a better shooter could shrink those groups with the Apex barrels .

I would say the accuracy is more or less fixed, but out of the box it can't match a Glock Gen 5. (in my hands) Apex changes that.
    I have a 2017 M2.0 4.25" that has sucked with everything from 115 grain to 147 grain. I never benched it but I remember spending a whole range day shooting a 2019 M2.0 4" compact alongside it, and always getting better groups with the compact. Odd to routinely get 4" groups at 25 yards with the compact, then go back to shooting the full size version of the same gun and seeing the groups open up to about 6-8". Will have to bench the gun first to confirm that it's actually a problem and not just user error, but it seemed pretty consistently bad. Has S&W ever acknowledged a problem with poor accuracy out of some of these guns?

User Tag List