Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What’s your favorite sharpener?

Due to my need to sharpen woodworking tools, like chisels and plane irons, I bought a Tormek. I can say it makes a very, very sharp edge, very quickly. Wire edge on the water wheel, then polish on the strop wheel with paste abrasives. Probably not as precise as a scary sharp system with 3M paper glued to glass, but time is a factor. I can sharpen 6-9 chisels in 15-20 minutes. Or a knife block full of kitchen knives in 20 minutes. I found I was over sharpening knives back in the day. Now I sharpen, strop, and maintain/touch up the edge with a steel. Saves time.

I went through Arkansas oilstones, Japanese water stones, paper with a honing guide, ceramic crock sticks, and diamond plates. Each has their advantages, but when I have a lot of sharpening, the Tormek is the best.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Or you can really go overboard . . .

https://youtu.be/RaO2OKrXxmw?si=OXK21S6gSTH5tlkv
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    I suck at sharpening. I have the Spyderco set for maintaining an edge, but just ordered the Worksharp Professional Precision Adjust. I was looking at the cheaper ones but decided the upgrades were worth it. Also, finding a 30% off coupon helped me justify it.

Site Supporter
    I have a KME system that work's well but, I keep sharp knives sharp
    with a Sharp Maker, I have diamond rod's up through the ultra fine
    but usually just use the brown or fine what that come with the set.

Lansky...for about 25 years.

User Tag List