Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your favorite sharpener?

What’s your favorite sharpener?

Over the years I’ve acquired a small selection of knife sharpeners. I started out with the Spyderco system over 25 years ago. Mine only hadone angle setting and fine and medium rods. The rods are still good after all these years, but I lost the base a long time ago.

I then picked up a Lansky system about 20 years ago. This system was great at that time, but newer systems have surpassed it. The abrasive rods are small and narrow so not much cutting surface.

The next system I got was the first gen Wicked Edge. This was an awesome system that gave me really consistent and repeatable edges. The drawbacks of the system is the price and the setup. I had to make a chart for each of my knives to remember the various clamp settings.

My latest purchase was the Work Sharp Ken Onion with the grinder attachment. The grinder attachment is a MUST with this system. This is my favorite sharpener to get knives sharpened fast! I still use the Wicked Edge on my quality knives, but love the KO for its speed and efficiency.

I have the Spyderco and wicked edge. The wicked edge is awesome but honestly I use the Spyderco way more.

Wicked edge can get a much much better edge, but most people probably wouldn’t be able to tell.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    The WorkSharp guided field sharpener punches way above it's weight class for me.

Otherwise, I like their Precision Adjust quite a bit. Cheap, effective...I've put really good edges (for me) on my pocket and kitchen knives. The pocket knife I carry can whittle a single hair.

Besides that, been thinking about a whetstone with some angle guides. Still trying to get good at freehand sharpening. Stropping was definitely a huge improvement, but I still can't quite get it as good as I can on the precision adjust.

Site Supporter
    I like the worksharp guided field and their bench top sharpeners. I need a good strop now.

Free hand on bench stones (generally diamond) to set bevel or fix edge

Set edge on brown Sharpmaker rods

No power tools on my knives (except Dremel for serrated repair)

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Free hand on bench stones (generally diamond) to set bevel or fix edge

Set edge on brown Sharpmaker rods

Pretty much what I do for the most part.

(I have an Edge Pro which is set up by my shop sink and essentially collects dust...and tons of stones and hones.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I’ll chime in with a request for recommendations.

I recently bought a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 with a VG-10 blade. It’s BY FAR the sharpest blade I’ve ever used, which includes several Benchmades (CQC-7 and others).
    Now I’d like to be able to sharpen several of my knives, as well as some kitchen knives (our carving knife was particularly frustrating on Thanksgiving).
    When it comes to sharpening knives, I don’t even know what I don’t know. I have a cheap pull-through sharpener that I’ve tried with the kitchen knives and some Swiss Army knives with limited (and seemingly decreasing) success.

Since Christmas is coming, I thought I could put a knife sharpener on my wish list. What would my Pistol-Forum bros suggest for a knife sharpening set up for under $100? I don’t mind putting some time into the project, but I’d rather have something that is precise and repeatable, and doesn’t require that I develop too much technique (since mine might likely be poor).

I’m no pro, but for basic sharpening, I like the V rod style sharpeners… like the Spyderco. I might be wrong, but I never really like the pull through sharpeners. They V styles are great for restoring an edge on your blades and touch ups. I’ve never had the muscle memory to master a flat stone.

Sharpening systems like the Wicked Edge or the WorkSharp belt systems aren’t necessary, but are nice to have if you have a badly damaged edge, are trying to reprofile your edge, or if your dealing with really hard steels.

I keep coming back to the DMT folding diamond ones that look like a balisong. Even the keychain size. Coarse/Blue/325 if it really needs work, finish off on the Red/600. I don't bother going further than that anymore. It can shave hair, but still has a little tooth to the edge for fabric/rope.

Started on Arkansas stones when that was really the only option other than expensive Japanese water stones. Tried the Lansky guide system, the Spyderco, a bunch of other ones. The DMTs, combined with a sharpie for figuring out edge angle, are just faster than anything else, easy to drop in the backpack for a trip, and get everything more than sharp enough.

I've thought about getting the WorkSharp, for when I really just need to grind a whole new angle on a knife, but I'd foolishly rather spend that money on a new knife in instead. 😀 And if I really need to remove some metal, on a larger knife or tomahawk, I start with the Lansky Puck for axes.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I have a Ken Onion Work Sharp but I have not unpacked it since we moved two years ago. I got it for Christmas a few years ago but I rounded off a blade and sort of put it to the back of the shelf. I do all of my sharpening with a Lansky Blade Medic. My knife stays sharp enough to do what I need it to do.

User Tag List