Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70gr TSX vs Deer

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The 77 TMK absolutely produces impressive wounds. In my experience if it's too fast it ruins too much meat. The BH load is 2700 at the muzzle in my 16" rifle. At 50 yards it ruined a ton of meat.

Out of my 12.5 it's only going 2550 fps and at 150 yards it performed great.

I'll probably continue to use the TSX for more consistent performance.
    From all I've seen in the 70 TSX, it only begins to veer about 2/3 down its trajectory in the target, have you seen it do so sooner? For example, on a broadside shot on a deer, I do not experience veering. Lengthways? Yes, it veers some.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    From all I've seen in the 70 TSX, it only begins to veer about 2/3 down its trajectory in the target, have you seen it do so sooner? For example, on a broadside shot on a deer, I do not experience veering. Lengthways? Yes, it veers some.
    Yes, two of my deer were broadside shots with very slight quartering.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Yes, two of my deer were broadside shots with very slight quartering.
    How much deflection are you seeing broadside?

This is the second deer shot with TSX. It was hit at 74m from the muzzle of an 11.5" carbine. The projectile impact velocity is estimated at 2375fps, roughly.

Impact site:
    Name:  impactTSX74m.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  103.2 KB
    Roughly 15m from impact site (Blood trail ran out around 10m beyond this):
    Name:  impactTSX74mplus15m.jpg
Size:  104.3 KB
    The blood trail picked back up at roughly the 75m mark, similar to at the 15m mark, and by 100m it was looking like this:
    Name:  impactTSX74m25mfromend.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  104.6 KB
    The deer expired at 125m, roughly, from point of impact. Ground covered was open.
    Entrance profiles:
    Name:  impactTSX74mentrance.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  impactTSX74mLungEntrance.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  99.5 KB
    Exit profiles:
    Name:  impactTSX74mexit.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  impactTSX74mLungExit.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  101.3 KB
    Projectile path in photo, L to R. Deer was not 100% 90 degrees, bullet tracked straight.:
    Name:  impactTSX74mL2R.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  61.0 KB

This bullet evidenced no fragmentation, violent and immediate expansion, and high velocity retained through the target (albeit, this is not a large deer, rather the size of a decent German Shepherd, I'm a bit embarrassed to say).

This bullet evidenced no fragmentation, violent and immediate expansion, and high velocity retained through the target (albeit, this is not a large deer, rather the size of a decent German Shepherd, I'm a bit embarrassed to say).
    It probably tastes better than German Shepherd.

Shot placement on small deer can sometimes be better in the neck, if you have the shot. Neck roasts on small deer don't result in much more meat loss than lung hits, and missed shot placement is usually survivable without extensive tracking to determine the fact. Thanks for posting your results.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    It probably tastes better than German Shepherd.

Shot placement on small deer can sometimes be better in the neck, if you have the shot. Neck roasts on small deer don't result in much more meat loss than lung hits, and missed shot placement is usually survivable without extensive tracking to determine the fact. Thanks for posting your results.
    Aside the backstrap and tenderloins, 100% of this deer is going into jalapeno and cheddar summer sausages, per "request" of my girlfriend (which really is what got it killed to begin with. I was content with 3 this season, but she just HAD to have more summer sausages...).

...(albeit, this is not a large deer, rather the size of a decent German Shepherd, I'm a bit embarrassed to say).
    Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Veal!

Where I do the majority of my hunting, deer that size (≈110 pounds) are typical examples of most whitetail being harvested. The last 3 years, I have been fortunate to be able to take three does (on my antlerless permit) in the 135-pound weight class and the quality of the venison has been wonderful. Just a few short years ago, I took a eight pointer that had a live weight of approximately 165 pounds. It was a somewhat older deer and the venison, while there was certainly more of it, had a rather distinct taste that was not bad but also not to my liking. And the antlers were positively inedible.

Enjoy your vea.... venison.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List