Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70gr TSX vs Deer

70gr TSX vs Deer

I estimate this deer at 110# live weight. I shot it 1 hour before I left for work, so the autopsy of soft tissue regarding lungs etc. Will have to be verbal. I noted significant blood in the chest cavity upon splitting the sternum. The path through the lung tissue was roughly 1.25-1.5" across. No fragmentation was noted. The damage to the liver was roughly the size of a nickel. Due to the frontal nature of the shot (the deer was very nearly facing me dead on, albeit with his left shoulder and rear him slightly toward me, the projectile's path through the vitals was not as "text book" as a broadside shot which somewhat limits our ability to ascertain its terminal disruption. However, the projectile seems to have a deep and more narrow wound path with sharp demarcation which indicates good velocity through the target as well as sharp edges, as opposed to a round like the RA556B or similar which adopt a more "blob" shape.) The projectile did not seem to directly impact the spine but did pass very near. He immediately locked up and went down and did not move again. Blood at the site was minimal and mainly from his nose/mouth. The rest of the pertinent data follows in a video I will upload.

Weapon: 11.5" sbr
    Ammo: 70gr tsx
    Range: 95m
    Estimated impact velocity based on prior 100m chrono data for this weapon and ammo: 2350fps

Name:  20231127_131709.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  36.5 KB
    Name:  20231127_131739.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  36.5 KB
    Name:  20231127_133224.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  43.6 KB
    Name:  20231126_180709.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  45.8 KB

Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-27-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Great video.

What's your estimate as to the maximum depth of penetration for your shot?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Great video.

What's your estimate as to the maximum depth of penetration for your shot?
    Im not sure if the round left the body cavity and then hit the leg or not. If not, then about 3 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Im not sure if the round left the body cavity and then hit the leg or not. If not, then about 3 feet.
    Interesting. Thank you!
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I've had similar penetration results with a similar shot on a small mule deer buck quite a few years ago. Basically "end to end" penetration with a decently hot handloaded 70gr TSX (max-ish charge of TAC)... though I fired mine from a 20" AR.

Not bad for a measly little .223. I like to keep some of these loaded up and on hand... for reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I've had similar penetration results with a similar shot on a small mule deer buck quite a few years ago. Basically "end to end" penetration with a decently hot handloaded 70gr TSX (max-ish charge of TAC)... though I fired mine from a 20" AR.

Not bad for a measly little .223. I like to keep some of these loaded up and on hand... for reasons.
    I really like the round. It hits hard (expands within its own length, basically), penetrates well, causes sensible damage along the way (not like a fragmenting round, but for its expanded diameter, it does plenty fine), and I have found from most guns it's a 1.75moa 10-shot round.

I've taken 3 deer now with the 70gr TSX loaded by Barnes. It's a ~1.5-2MOA round, but loaded hot at 2845 fps from my 16" AR.

I haven't recovered any of the projectiles. They've all been clean a pass through. I have noted odd paths though. They don't seem to track straight in the body and frequently veer off in an unexpected direction.

All 3 were clean kills with good hits in the chest cavity.

It seems like a great round overall and not obscenely priced if you find it on sale. The biggest issue I have is both my ARs have a POI shift of 0.5 mil down and 0.5 mil right. Not the end of the world if you have exposed turrets but I don't like to dial my capped turret guns(set it and forget it).

Anecdotally I'd say the 77gr TMK is "better" and seems drop deer faster from the increased trauma from a lung shot. It also has the same POI as my 77 SMK ammo which simplifies things. But at the end of the day I still want to use a meat-preserving and preferably lead-free round so I'll continue to use the TSX.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've taken 3 deer now with the 70gr TSX loaded by Barnes. It's a ~1.5-2MOA round, but loaded hot at 2845 fps from my 16" AR.

I haven't recovered any of the projectiles. They've all been clean a pass through. I have noted odd paths though. They don't seem to track straight in the body and frequently veer off in an unexpected direction.

All 3 were clean kills with good hits in the chest cavity.

It seems like a great round overall and not obscenely priced if you find it on sale. The biggest issue I have is both my ARs have a POI shift of 0.5 mil down and 0.5 mil right. Not the end of the world if you have exposed turrets but I don't like to dial my capped turret guns(set it and forget it).

Anecdotally I'd say the 77gr TMK is "better" and seems drop deer faster from the increased trauma from a lung shot. It also has the same POI as my 77 SMK ammo which simplifies things. But at the end of the day I still want to use a meat-preserving and preferably lead-free round so I'll continue to use the TSX.
    I can get 1/2 mrad shift from prone choked up on the gun to sitting and braced. I temd to zero prone with a medium hold. My seated shots will hit a hair high, really choked down on the gun, a hair low. So 1/2mrad poi shift isnt a huge deal to me.

Long thread on Rokslide with lots of details and pictures from hunting big game with the .223/5.56 family.

Not necessarily my cup of tea but I also think the approach is sound. That hivemind has seemed to settle on the 77gr TMK as a “do all”.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Long thread on Rokslide with lots of details and pictures from hunting big game with the .223/5.56 family.

Not necessarily my cup of tea but I also think the approach is sound. That hivemind has seemed to settle on the 77gr TMK as a “do all”.
    The 77 TMK absolutely produces impressive wounds. In my experience if it's too fast it ruins too much meat. The BH load is 2700 at the muzzle in my 16" rifle. At 50 yards it ruined a ton of meat.

Out of my 12.5 it's only going 2550 fps and at 150 yards it performed great.

I'll probably continue to use the TSX for more consistent performance.

User Tag List